Notices

Best type of alarm for convertibles ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2001, 02:56 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Probably a stupid question, but ... we are picking up an "open top" car for the missus in 2 weeks and I was wondering if there are any alarms that are specific for this type of cars ?

I know about tracking devices (I have one in my Scooby, um, not entirely pleased with the quality of such systems), but I wondered if a convertible has a specific type of alarm more suited to the fact that it's "easily accessible".

Thanks for any hints/suggestions.

Theo
Old 27 November 2001, 03:32 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Any alarm that uses a microwave proximity detector as ultrasonics will not work. One such alarm would be a Clifford.

Hope that helps.

H
Old 27 November 2001, 04:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

(edited - d'oh, misread hhxxx completely!)

You want anything that uses a microwave proxmimity sensor. Ultrasonics WILL NOT work, as hhxxx says.

The Clifford Concept 50 was the first alarm to get thatcham approval for softtops. The 500 and 600 have replaced that now.

Excellent alarms, choose a good installer!

Nick.

[Edited by chiark - 11/27/2001 4:02:53 PM]
Old 27 November 2001, 06:40 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

As Nick says, The old Clifford Concept 50 was the first alarm to ever gain Thatcham accreditation with a microwave sensor. That was then superceded by the 50X and now for the last two odd years it has been the concept 300, 500 and 600, all with microwaves. Clifford are still the only manufacturer to have managed to get product through Thatcham with microwave sensors, and so as you are not allowed to use ultrasonics on a cabrio for Thatcham reasons, and replacing the sonics on a Thatcham alarm with a microwave invalidates its Thatcham status, I'm afraid the only route to take for Thatcham security would be one of the Cliffords. This isn't meant to be some sort of capitalist plot (-: , it's just that the other manufacturers haven't got off their asses and designed a system with a compliant microwave sensor.
Old 29 November 2001, 04:39 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmm, good info, thanks guys... Clifford it is then !

My wife wanted an alarm that talks to people anyway
Old 30 November 2001, 01:43 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Max,

Were you aware that Cobra, Meta and Laserline (and maybe others) all have had Thatcham Category 1 Microwave Systems approved for a very long time. It is always wise to check your facts before making incriminatory remarks that could damage companies business unfairly. Please take the time to download the full Thatcham list from their website before making misinformed comments.

Sorry to sound so blunt, but I find your comments towards other installers and manufacturers (other than Clifford) to be unproffesional and demeaning. I'm sure you are a conscientious installer with high regard for your customers, but be aware that there are other good installers out there, who are as good or better than you and it is best IMHO to let them be judge of that. Best to tell it "like it is". Here endeth the lesson!
Old 01 December 2001, 04:03 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Oooohh talking alarm. I've been there and done that. I caught myself talking back to my car once , it drove me mad in the end, talking alarms are cool in the beginning but attracts way more attention when you want to keep a low profile
Old 01 December 2001, 09:33 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

LOL, I think I see what you mean ... I'm a sucker for this type of gadgets, but I can imagine how it gets on your nerves after a while ...

And BTW, I talk to inanimate objects anyway, whether they talk back or not
Old 02 December 2001, 10:54 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

In reply to Nick@avs, I guess I've been so wrapped up in my own work and products that it's been rather a long time (err.. a few years probably) since I last scanned the exact specs of other manufacturers compliant systems. If as Nick has mentioned I'm incorrect in stating only Clifford have compliant microwave-equipped systems, then I back down humbly from my earlier comments. Just ensure that when having the necessary Cat.1 security installed on a cabrio, it is a microwave-equipped system and not one that has had its sonics replaced with a microwave sensor.

I'm off to check an up to date list now...
Old 02 December 2001, 11:40 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Yup, just as it was bluntly pointed out by Nick@avs, I've had my head up my ****. Apart from the three Cliffords, there is a small handful of other microwave-equipped Cat.1's.

Cobra 7928, 8186/8 can be specified either with sonics or the appropriate Cobra compliant microwave

Flashpoint FP 776 V2 can be specified with either sonics or the appropriate Flashpoint compliant microwave

Laserline 291-i2, 996 V2/3 can be specified with either sonics or the appropriate Laserline compliant microwave

Meta Aquilla Microwave comes specifically with a microwave sensor.

There we go, I've now eaten humble pie. But none of the above manufacturers have dual-zone microwaves (I just can't leave this alone can I???) like two of the Cliffords, and such a feature might just alert you one evening to the presence of someone lurking round your prized car before they've actually begun to break in, and none of them have the all-important BlackJax anti-hijacking facility, regardless of the fact it is a non-sanctioned facility, although the C500/600 still gained Thatcham compliance with it available, and Thatcham know everyone is going to use it. None of them have the digital tilt/motion sensor, wireless immobilisation, digital-networking capability, etc etc etc.

Apologies for any possible misleading information I posted earlier in this topic, and Nick@avs, cheers for pointing it out, I should have checked the current listings first.
Old 04 December 2001, 10:13 AM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

Angry

my wife has the cobra with microwave fitted to her car and we have had no end of problems with it it keeps going off when it rains(andwhen it doesnt) even if you turn it off and just use the key!
not impressed
Old 04 December 2001, 07:13 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

I know for a fact that Cobra do not have problems with their microwave systems. I will only install Cobra Microwave systems now because of their reliability, stability and coverage. I can assure you that your problem is more likely to be down to the installation - incorrect adjustment/siting of the microwave. The correct siting of any microwave is the most critical, the Cobra unit is the smallest I have come accross so this is not normally a problem. Remember many manufacturers install the Cobra microwave as standard (Evo 7 for example!).

It puzzles me why you haven't had this sorted out, or do you find false alarms entertaining (only joking-of course you don't)

Vestatec are the new distributors for Cobra, their telephone No: 0208 8943 2171. I can help if you don't get any joy with sorting it out, next time I'm down your way. Hope you manage to get it sorted, it's hardly rocket science !
Old 31 December 2001, 01:15 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

may not be rocket science but im not a rocket scientist! only now seems to false alaarm in heavy rain/weather dealer has "adjusted it twice and still the same