Notices

Trackers.....Whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 07:07 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackers.....Whats the point?

I've been in a loving relationship with my MY03 WRXppp for quite a few months now and I couldn't be happier.

I jumped through every hoop where safety and security was concerned and purchased a tracker monitor, Crook lock and a twitchy curtain with me behind it. I never take the car anywhere where I think it might draw attraction to itself and always drive with the doors locked - Some may say a sad state of affairs but until the Police have the right to batter criminals to death in the street with iron bars I'll continue to be cautious.

Back to my subject....A while ago I went on the Car ferry from Sandbanks in Dorset to Studland bay. Bugger I thought...I'll have the tracker people on the phone telling me my car has been nicked......but you guessed it, nothing? I dismissed this and put it down to the distance travelled on the ferry as not very far...

The other week I went to France on the ferry, but this time I called tracker to tell them I was leaving that night - I purposely didn't tell them a return date (not that they asked for one).

So when it came time to return to the UK I didn't phone....and they didn't phone either....?Are these tracker people are having a laugh charging what they do for install and subs...when half the time you the consumer have no idea if your "trackerable" or not.

What are people views on the sensitivity of the tracker units, should I get mine checked out (a pleasure for which I believe they charge - money for old rope anyone?).

At the end of the day I'm in no doubt if Mr. Criminal wants my car he'll have it out quicker than an old man at an eighteen year old's birthday party, but it still seems like a total waste of cash for something the insurance companies require and is technically useless anyway?

Cheers for any views.....
Old 22 August 2005, 07:20 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible that your Tracker may not be working (mine wasn't when I first bought my car). You need to call their customer services & get them to check the unit. Before you call, drive around for 20mins or so, to make sure the unit is active.
Old 22 August 2005, 08:26 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but it's not clear to me why Tracker might think that your car had been nicked when you made these journeys. Or is there something about how Tracker works that I have forgotten?
Old 22 August 2005, 08:46 PM
ChriSTi
Scooby Regular

I had a tracker fitted to my Classic v6, And the way it was explained to me, the tracker would be activated if the car was stolen without the ignition keys, ie smashing the barrel and a quick hot wire would set it off. If the car had the original keys in the ignition, the tracker knew no different and wouldn't send the signal to either the police or trackstar( Whichever Tracker you had fitted).
Old 22 August 2005, 08:51 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

I thought if you park up take the keys out and lock the car if it starts moving the tracker will go off? IE like if you park up on a ferry?

I thought Tracker "monitor" did this?
Old 22 August 2005, 08:57 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChriSTi
I had a tracker fitted to my Classic v6, And the way it was explained to me, the tracker would be activated if the car was stolen without the ignition keys, ie smashing the barrel and a quick hot wire would set it off. If the car had the original keys in the ignition, the tracker knew no different and wouldn't send the signal to either the police or trackstar( Whichever Tracker you had fitted).
That is correct.
It would get pretty anoying if you expected them to ring you every time you went anywhere in your car.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Mark (whitsteruk on here) had tracker ring him twice when his car was on a low loader to scoobyclinic and back.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:24 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Your tracker monitor system will only alert the tracking centre if your vehicle is moving but your alternator is not charging the battery. The tracking system is on all the time but it will only “wake up” and send a signal back to the tracking system every so often. If the vehicle is not moving and the alternator is not charging then the tracking centre will deem the vehicle being ok. If the tracking system “wakes up” and sends a signal that the car is moving but the alternator isn’t charging then you will get a call from the tracking centre to confirm the movement of vehicle.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:30 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
Your tracker monitor system will only alert the tracking centre if your vehicle is moving but your alternator is not charging the battery. The tracking system is on all the time but it will only “wake up” and send a signal back to the tracking system every so often. If the vehicle is not moving and the alternator is not charging then the tracking centre will deem the vehicle being ok. If the tracking system “wakes up” and sends a signal that the car is moving but the alternator isn’t charging then you will get a call from the tracking centre to confirm the movement of vehicle.
So it should of gone off then?
Old 22 August 2005, 09:33 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Still a big rip off though.

5% off your insurance and over priced subscription and the most miserable ******* on the other end of the phone...
Old 22 August 2005, 09:33 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wakey
No because it was moving but the altenator wasnt charging because the car wasnt running
Old 22 August 2005, 09:37 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

I'm not too sure to be honest with it being on a ferry. It might be the fact the tracking system doesn't work when on water. I am not 100% sure but the way it works is as I've stated. Mine was wrongly installed and I was getting 2 calls a day, one when I went to work and one when I came home.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:39 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonpoole
No because it was moving but the altenator wasnt charging because the car wasnt running
So can they be put on a flat bed and driven off?
Old 22 August 2005, 09:40 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonpoole
Don't think that is correct as when the car was on a low loader they called twice.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:43 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Surely the tracker should have gone off, as the car was moving while on the ferry, whilst the alternator was not charging.

Their only excuse could be that the enclosed body of the ferry precluded the tracker obtaining a signal.

Still, not very good, is it...
Old 22 August 2005, 09:43 PM
black scoobs
Scooby Regular

I've been in a loving relationship with my MY03 WRXppp for quite a few months now and I couldn't be happier.

I jumped through every hoop where safety and security was concerned and purchased a tracker monitor, Crook lock and a twitchy curtain with me behind it. I never take the car anywhere where I think it might draw attraction to itself and always drive with the doors locked - Some may say a sad state of affairs but until the Police have the right to batter criminals to death in the street with iron bars I'll continue to be cautious.

Back to my subject....A while ago I went on the Car ferry from Sandbanks in Dorset to Studland bay. Bugger I thought...I'll have the tracker people on the phone telling me my car has been nicked......but you guessed it, nothing? I dismissed this and put it down to the distance travelled on the ferry as not very far...

The other week I went to France on the ferry, but this time I called tracker to tell them I was leaving that night - I purposely didn't tell them a return date (not that they asked for one).

So when it came time to return to the UK I didn't phone....and they didn't phone either....?Are these tracker people are having a laugh charging what they do for install and subs...when half the time you the consumer have no idea if your "trackerable" or not.

What are people views on the sensitivity of the tracker units, should I get mine checked out (a pleasure for which I believe they charge - money for old rope anyone?).

At the end of the day I'm in no doubt if Mr. Criminal wants my car he'll have it out quicker than an old man at an eighteen year old's birthday party, but it still seems like a total waste of cash for something the insurance companies require and is technically useless anyway?

Cheers for any views.....
id make sure its activated mate my friend had his on a low loader last week , a 5-10 min journey they rang soon as they started moving .
Old 22 August 2005, 09:49 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by black scoobs
id make sure its activated mate my friend had his on a low loader last week , a 5-10 min journey they rang soon as they started moving .
I'm sure when you spoke to them, they would of told you if you weren't activated.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:59 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I would Phone the customer support number on the credit card like card you have been given.
I've done this every 6 months. I've been at my friends house, on hoilday in norfolk etc and they have found the car within minutes every time.

You are paying for the service so I would check that it works m8. After all, electronics do fail but you wouldnt know about this one.

Dipster
Old 22 August 2005, 10:27 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

are they happy to check the location of the car if you just ring up?

Originally Posted by davedipster
I would Phone the customer support number on the credit card like card you have been given.
I've done this every 6 months. I've been at my friends house, on hoilday in norfolk etc and they have found the car within minutes every time.

You are paying for the service so I would check that it works m8. After all, electronics do fail but you wouldnt know about this one.

Dipster
Old 22 August 2005, 10:53 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

The ferry would have prevented a GPS signal. The standard Tracker on STIs in UK only so they will not alert when abroad (no roaming on the SIM to contact the centre).
Old 22 August 2005, 11:04 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you ring up the tracking company and ask them how your tracker works? That would seem to be the sensible thing to do.

No offence but I'm always suspicious when newbies come on here and ask leading questions about car security. If your request is genuine then go see the tracker firm.

For the rest on here I know you guys are trying to be helpful but think on.

WB
Old 22 August 2005, 11:07 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

i've checked my Rac Trackstar 3-4 times, just ring them up for a test
Old 23 August 2005, 08:19 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
i've checked my Rac Trackstar 3-4 times, just ring them up for a test
There are different types of trackers.

There is 'tracker retrieve' where you have to notify them of the loss of vehicle and the system is activated.

there is 'tracker monitor' that is as above but has the motion detector that submits a signal to tracker if the vehicle is moving as has been said before

then there is 'tracker horizon' that is the same as the above but has a gprs signal in the car so it doesnt have to be looked for it tells you where it is.

I agree about people enquiring about security systems and I for one wouldnt disclose to anyone if or what system my car had on.

http://www.micronetshowroom.com/tracker.asp
Old 23 August 2005, 08:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
On most new-age Scoobs the alternator doesn't charge the battery most of the time anyway
Old 23 August 2005, 09:07 AM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Why don't you ring up the tracking company and ask them how your tracker works? That would seem to be the sensible thing to do.

No offence but I'm always suspicious when newbies come on here and ask leading questions about car security. If your request is genuine then go see the tracker firm.

For the rest on here I know you guys are trying to be helpful but think on.

WB
None taken - I agree with you.

I'll phone up the tracker people, its just the service they give there is well below par.

Thanks for your views.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:15 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
The ferry would have prevented a GPS signal. The standard Tracker on STIs in UK only so they will not alert when abroad (no roaming on the SIM to contact the centre).
Doubt the Sandbanks ferry would have prevented a signal, it is an open topped, chain driven ferry!
Old 21 December 2005, 08:18 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I have a tracker monitor fitted to my scoob i bought a month ago.The fitter has sent the paper work of and i have not receved anything in the post for paying for subscrption i have paid for fitting of the tracker.I have paper work to say it been fitted .Does it take ages for tracker to procces peoples detials
Old 02 January 2006, 09:53 AM
evolutionice.com
BANNED

Originally Posted by DIPSY
I have a tracker monitor fitted to my scoob i bought a month ago.The fitter has sent the paper work of and i have not receved anything in the post for paying for subscrption i have paid for fitting of the tracker.I have paper work to say it been fitted .Does it take ages for tracker to procces peoples detials
Yes it does, Tracker have just been bought over by RBOS and are in the process of changing alot of the processing systems. It has cause a few delays but as long as you have your paperwork you are still covered. I have had a couple of customers with a similar problem.