Notices

Tracker advice / assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2005, 08:48 AM
Scooby 4U2NV
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker advice / assistance

I am looking for any information on Tracker - who to go to, what to get, good deals, etc.

I have recently bought my new baby and want to get tracker fitted this weekend. Any ideas on what to look out for
Old 02 August 2005, 10:50 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Check with your insurance company!

First thing you should do is contact your insurance company and see which one's they accept, i'm insured with Tesco for an example, they would not accept the bottom of the range Tracker [Retreive] but would the Monitor and Horizon model's.
There would be nothing worse than paying big money only to find out it was a waste of time.
Also where abouts in this wonderful country are you?
Old 02 August 2005, 10:56 AM
molten1
Scooby Newbie

I am insured with Direct Line, have got the RAC Trackstar with the speed safe option was quite reasonable at £350
Old 02 August 2005, 11:05 AM
Scooby 4U2NV
Scooby Newbie

I am in west london. I will check with my insurance company, but I can confirm that it is not a requirement for me to have tracker installed. Personally though, I want to get something reliable, and preferably something that can be used in other countries as well - just in case my scoob and I decide to explore
Old 02 August 2005, 12:18 PM
PHILL-WALES
Scooby Regular

im having the rac tracker fitted to mine next week cost £380 with 4 months speed safe free. most insurance companys dont recognise tracker retrieve. im insured with direct line for £450 with the tracker fitted
Old 02 August 2005, 01:22 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby 4U2NV
I am in west london. I will check with my insurance company, but I can confirm that it is not a requirement for me to have tracker installed. Personally though, I want to get something reliable, and preferably something that can be used in other countries as well - just in case my scoob and I decide to explore
If it isnt a condition of your insurer to get one fitted, then dont bother - unless paying £500 and £130/year subscription can be saved on reduced insurance premiums over a period of a couple of years.

If it gets nicked, you get a claim registered against you whether the car is recovered or not, so your no claims is still affected - and you end up with a repaired car with a dirty history and more expensive insurance (protected or not). I would personally prefer a total write off and new car to a stoeln recovered vehicle being returned to me with no seats, locks replaced etc etc.
Old 02 August 2005, 02:00 PM
Scooby 4U2NV
Scooby Newbie

I guess I hadn't thought about it that way....

Considering what you said, I wouldn't want it back either! Cheers for that

I will definitely look at changing my insurer next year and the new company may require that I have Tracker installed - so I might have to get it eventually.

Is there any benefit to having a tracker history (sort of like the no claims discount) or should I just get one next year if they need it?

My appologies for all the questions. My knowledge is limited when it comes to these kind of things and I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing at the end of the day.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:42 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

You are assuming that your car won't be recovered if it doesn't have a tracker and you will get a new one.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments it is not a safe assumption and you will no doubt incur costs if the car does have to be replaced (like paying for a new policy)

Also having a tracker (GPS version) fitted may actually help to catch the B******S if the car is stolen

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
If it isnt a condition of your insurer to get one fitted, then dont bother - unless paying £500 and £130/year subscription can be saved on reduced insurance premiums over a period of a couple of years.

If it gets nicked, you get a claim registered against you whether the car is recovered or not, so your no claims is still affected - and you end up with a repaired car with a dirty history and more expensive insurance (protected or not). I would personally prefer a total write off and new car to a stoeln recovered vehicle being returned to me with no seats, locks replaced etc etc.