Sigma m30 setting problem

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 05:02 PM
highfly60
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sigma m30 setting problem

Hi
Hope you can help, I have a 99 forester with an M30 sigma alarm fitted. I can only set the alarm with the fob up against the window and when I do this all I get is 5 flashes of the indicators no bleep as it should be acording to the book.I have been told by the subaru dealer that the ecu is nackered and needs a new one, but I have lost a bit of confidense in them sinse they told me that they were the only onse that can fit the airflow meter as it needed to be "set up"
a load of b******s that was. I have done all the obviouse such as fob batteries
Old 27 July 2005, 10:05 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by highfly60
Hi
Hope you can help, I have a 99 forester with an M30 sigma alarm fitted. I can only set the alarm with the fob up against the window and when I do this all I get is 5 flashes of the indicators no bleep as it should be acording to the book.I have been told by the subaru dealer that the ecu is nackered and needs a new one, but I have lost a bit of confidense in them sinse they told me that they were the only onse that can fit the airflow meter as it needed to be "set up"
a load of b******s that was. I have done all the obviouse such as fob batteries
The operating range of the system can be affected by a number of issues.

Transmitter.
- The most common problem being low battery power, although you state you have changed these.
- Is there any improvement in operating range if you use your other transmitter? If not then a problem with the transmitter can be ruled out.

Receiver.
- The ECU is encased in a metal enclosure for security, with an external antenae wire. The antenae wire is located in the keypad's 6-ple connector.
To check that the antenae has not been disconnected, ensure the keypad still operates.
- The antenae itself is a length of black wire approximately 6 inches long. For maximum operating range this should hang in free air. If the antenae wire is taped into the wiring loom or to a metal surface the range will be reduced dramatically

Radio Interference.
- Due to the introduction of the Tetra Radio network late in 2000, Pre 2001 systems can suffer from "Radio Lockout". This has been discussed in detail elsewhere on this site and usually prevents operation completely. However, depending on the location of the mast and its transmitting power it's possible that only reduced range may be experienced.

Radio Interference would cause your problem to occur intermitently, a transmitter or receiver problem would be more consistent.
You do not state if you have recently acquired the vehicle (where the problem may have existed for some while) or if this problem has only recently occured

I suspect that the indicator flash/siren issue is unrelated.
The system is not supplied programmed for the siren to bleep on Arm/Disarm - this is in order to conform to European legislation (although it can be turned on).
If this system used to bleep on arm/disarm has anyone worked on the system recently that may have returned the settings to standard?
Does the siren still sound when triggered?

If you can answer the above I'll try and help further.
SS
Old 27 July 2005, 10:49 AM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Bit O/T but can the arm/disarm tones be turned up in volume, they are useless at the preset volume.
Old 27 July 2005, 03:33 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by wannaB4
Bit O/T but can the arm/disarm tones be turned up in volume, they are useless at the preset volume.
Afraid not. The volume of the arm/disarm tones is not adjustable - only on or off.
When switched on though, the tones are usually loud enough on this system - perhaps you have a problem with the siren?
SS
Old 27 July 2005, 05:02 PM
highfly60
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply, The other transmitter does not work so this is another problem I can sort out later.What is the cost of a new fob?

The problem is there all the time where ever you are so I dont think Radio Interference is going to be the issue.

I have tried opperating the keypad but I am not getting anything from it what should I expect? There are no flshing LED's or bleeps although I am just pressing the keys at the moment so I will have another read of the book and try to change thr pin code tonight.

Can I program the bleep From the keypad?

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
The operating range of the system can be affected by a number of issues.

Transmitter.
- The most common problem being low battery power, although you state you have changed these.
- Is there any improvement in operating range if you use your other transmitter? If not then a problem with the transmitter can be ruled out.

Receiver.
- The ECU is encased in a metal enclosure for security, with an external antenae wire. The antenae wire is located in the keypad's 6-ple connector.
To check that the antenae has not been disconnected, ensure the keypad still operates.
- The antenae itself is a length of black wire approximately 6 inches long. For maximum operating range this should hang in free air. If the antenae wire is taped into the wiring loom or to a metal surface the range will be reduced dramatically

Radio Interference.
- Due to the introduction of the Tetra Radio network late in 2000, Pre 2001 systems can suffer from "Radio Lockout". This has been discussed in detail elsewhere on this site and usually prevents operation completely. However, depending on the location of the mast and its transmitting power it's possible that only reduced range may be experienced.

Radio Interference would cause your problem to occur intermitently, a transmitter or receiver problem would be more consistent.
You do not state if you have recently acquired the vehicle (where the problem may have existed for some while) or if this problem has only recently occured

I suspect that the indicator flash/siren issue is unrelated.
The system is not supplied programmed for the siren to bleep on Arm/Disarm - this is in order to conform to European legislation (although it can be turned on).
If this system used to bleep on arm/disarm has anyone worked on the system recently that may have returned the settings to standard?
Does the siren still sound when triggered?

If you can answer the above I'll try and help further.
SS
Old 27 July 2005, 09:26 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by highfly60
Hi

Thanks for your reply, The other transmitter does not work so this is another problem I can sort out later.What is the cost of a new fob?

The problem is there all the time where ever you are so I dont think Radio Interference is going to be the issue.

I have tried opperating the keypad but I am not getting anything from it what should I expect? There are no flshing LED's or bleeps although I am just pressing the keys at the moment so I will have another read of the book and try to change thr pin code tonight.

Can I program the bleep From the keypad?
A radio key should be in the region of £35, but check with your local dealer. The Subaru part number is SACC 3461 for the separate radio key on 99MY. The same transmitter can also be supplied by a Sigma alarm dealer, but without the Subaru logo (part number AC38) so it may be worth shopping around. In either instance you can program the new transmitter to your system yourself (once we're sure the keypad is working!) so dont pay over the odds for the service.

When you press a digit on the keypad the LED built-in to it should illuminate briefly. If you are not seeing this, then the keypad has no power supply or ground connection - possibly the keypad connector has come loose from the alarm unit explaining the reduced range, as the aerial is also included in this connector. I would check this first. The alarm unit is located beneaththe steering column on 99MY in a metal enclosure, however anti-tamper torx bits are needed to access the unit and check the black 6-pole connector.

Once the keypad is working then you can turn the arm/disarm tones back on, re-set the PIN code to one of your own choosing and program your own transmitters.

To turn the arm/disarm tones on:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*00*1#
- Arm and disarm the sytem with the Radio Key
- You should now hear the arm/disarm tones

To reset the PIN code:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

To program radio keys:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*2# where 2 is total number of radio keys to work the system
- Briefly press both/all radio keys in turn (the dash board LED will flash each time and the siren will bleep) Any radio keys not programmed here will no-longer operate the system.
- You should now be able to arm and disarm the system using all the radio keys programmed.

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

Sorry this has been a little long winded, but I'm away now untill next week, so this should keep you going 'til then!
Best of luck.
SS

Old 29 July 2005, 12:29 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wannaB4
Snippits From the Sigma M30 manual: -

To access this mode - turn on the vehicle ignition, press the remote button once, type one of the numbers
listed in the chart below, immediately turn off the ignition. The numbers will have the following effect:

6 Turn off bleeps every time system is armed or disarmed
(Turned off at manufacture to comply with legislation)

7 Turn on bleeps every time system is armed or disarmed
( Note: This will contravene current legislation)

* Toggles between loud and soft arming/disarming bleeps if selected
Old 29 July 2005, 07:20 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

1st thing I did when I bought my Type R nearly 2 yrs ago was change the crap Sigma alarm. It wouldn't arm if parked near antennas such as my local gym which happens to be near a police station.
Get rid of it mate they're ****e!

Nick
Old 01 August 2005, 11:25 AM
highfly60
Scooby Newbie

Default sorted

Thanks, That has sorted the problem, when I got to the ECU I found that it had been dimounted and the keypad multiplug was loose. So it has been reconnected the bleep has been programmed I just need to try to program in my other fob incase that is the problem, if not I will need to buy a new fob

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
A radio key should be in the region of £35, but check with your local dealer. The Subaru part number is SACC 3461 for the separate radio key on 99MY. The same transmitter can also be supplied by a Sigma alarm dealer, but without the Subaru logo (part number AC38) so it may be worth shopping around. In either instance you can program the new transmitter to your system yourself (once we're sure the keypad is working!) so dont pay over the odds for the service.

When you press a digit on the keypad the LED built-in to it should illuminate briefly. If you are not seeing this, then the keypad has no power supply or ground connection - possibly the keypad connector has come loose from the alarm unit explaining the reduced range, as the aerial is also included in this connector. I would check this first. The alarm unit is located beneaththe steering column on 99MY in a metal enclosure, however anti-tamper torx bits are needed to access the unit and check the black 6-pole connector.

Once the keypad is working then you can turn the arm/disarm tones back on, re-set the PIN code to one of your own choosing and program your own transmitters.

To turn the arm/disarm tones on:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*00*1#
- Arm and disarm the sytem with the Radio Key
- You should now hear the arm/disarm tones

To reset the PIN code:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

To program radio keys:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*2# where 2 is total number of radio keys to work the system
- Briefly press both/all radio keys in turn (the dash board LED will flash each time and the siren will bleep) Any radio keys not programmed here will no-longer operate the system.
- You should now be able to arm and disarm the system using all the radio keys programmed.

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

Sorry this has been a little long winded, but I'm away now untill next week, so this should keep you going 'til then!
Best of luck.
SS

Old 05 August 2005, 09:38 AM
highfly60
Scooby Newbie

Have now programmed my other fob into the system and it works fine. The subaru dealer would have charged me £100 plus for a new ECU but I have now got it sorted for £0 Thanks again!
Old 06 August 2005, 06:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sigma Sam - may I suggest that you delete your post with the location and data? You never know who's reading this BBS.......

If people want to know, perhaps they should be PM'ing you...........

Just a little suggestion

Dan
Old 08 August 2005, 11:46 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Sigma Sam - may I suggest that you delete your post with the location and data? You never know who's reading this BBS.......

If people want to know, perhaps they should be PM'ing you...........

Just a little suggestion

Dan
Valid comment Dan, however, giving the ECU location is not as much help as you would imagine due to the amount of trim to be removed, the metal security enclosure around the ECU and the black security wiring. Anyone that could do something once they got to this point will already know, or have located, the ECU position, but point noted and I understand your concerns.

With regard the programming information posted, none is of a security sensitive nature. The system's PIN and radio keys can only be changed/programmed within 30 seconds of disarming a system - this ensures that the programmer already holds the existing PIN or a valid radio key.

Rest assured I will not disclose any specific power or immobilisation wiring details that could compromise security on this site, or even in PM's.
SS