Notices

Black jaxx options??

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2005, 12:10 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black jaxx options??

having my black jaxx fitted in a couple of weeks, but have to decide which of the 2 disarming options i want:-

option 1.- 2 button keypad to enter code to deactivate
option 2.- pressure switch hidden behind dash/trim panel somewhere, so you just push the dash/trim in a particular spot once to deactivate

pros & cons??
Old 10 February 2005, 12:14 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Option 1
PRO - Have to know the code
CON - buttons visually detectable so scum know what is fitted, pain in the **** to enter code everytime door is opened

Option 2
PRO - Quick and easy to disarm, not visable
CON - Lucky press on dash/trim will disarm

Damn, can't decide!!!
Old 10 February 2005, 12:29 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Option 1:
Pro - have to know the code - becomes second nature entering it after a while (which do you want, a couple of second extra per journey or no car...?) Out of habit, I even try to enter it in old man's car which doesn't have blackjax...
Pro - could also be a visual deterrent for opportunists unless somebody is going to get the car by whatever methods / violence etc

con - buttons may fail after a period of time - useful to carry a spare and know how to change it (car is still immobilised if it's changed without the code entered)

Option 2:
pro - easy for you to do
con - easy for someone else to do if they've got an idea where to look
con - no visual deterrent so someone my break in / trash things just in case then find they can't start the car if they don't find the button - you're left with a break-in to sort / claim for

Personally, I'd have the keypad - it's not so much a burden as people think once you use it a lot - having it in a second, little used car might become a PITA if you keep forgetting but I'd put safety / security over a minor inconvenience...

Andy
Old 10 February 2005, 01:27 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i got the buttons and yeah you do forget to disarm it every so often, but thats not a problem. you can do it while driving along no troubles. at first i thought it was a PITA but now i see it as a very useful tool.
Old 10 February 2005, 02:01 PM
johnnie_m
Scooby Regular

It is supposed to be an anti hijack device not a deterrant, so, you do not want a visual device. If he can see it the hijacker may kindly ask you to disarm it before he drives off - he may even be a little insistent. Give him the keys and let him get 1 mile down the road before he makes his discovery. He wanders off - you collect your car.

If you have loved ones in the car, when they strike, you do not want it to get ugly.
Old 10 February 2005, 02:18 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnie_m
It is supposed to be an anti hijack device not a deterrant, so, you do not want a visual device. If he can see it the hijacker may kindly ask you to disarm it before he drives off - he may even be a little insistent. Give him the keys and let him get 1 mile down the road before he makes his discovery. He wanders off - you collect your car.

If you have loved ones in the car, when they strike, you do not want it to get ugly.
good point, more confused now!!
Old 10 February 2005, 06:05 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
good point, more confused now!!
I will wait and see what you go for Austen, then I will make my mind up once I have seen it on your car !!!
Old 10 February 2005, 06:10 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Apple
con - buttons may fail after a period of time - useful to carry a spare and know how to change it (car is still immobilised if it's changed without the code entered)

Andy
What happens if the pressure switch fails ?? How reliable are they ??

I can imagine it not being as easy to change as the switches, could end up having to abandon the car or wait hours for a tow truck !!

Personaly wouldnt fancy having to remove some of the trim at the roadside to replace the sensor that would be a right PITA

Mark
Old 11 February 2005, 08:42 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

It's a case of taking the trim off wherever it's fitted and then unplugging / plugging in new switch (making sure you've got the same type re connectors / cabling).

If the alarm won't take your code then it may need a battery disconnection for a couple of seconds to blip the system - mine worked after this

One method I heard somebody was looking at was to install a second plainview switch somewhere out of sight that could be used "in emergency" if your main one failed. This would get you moving to someplace where you could sort out the original - dunno whether this has been done yet or whether it's as simple as splicing together wires in parallel...

I had mine for nearly 3 years and the original lasted most of that time, the replacement didn't seem to last very long and the second replacement was on when I got rid.

Andy
Old 11 February 2005, 08:47 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've had a idea, have the keypad version installed with the buttons inside the centre cubby box (behind the handbrake- Newage). I was trying it out last night and it is easy to reach, and the buttons are hidden.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:55 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm thinking of having the black jaxx but don't know what pre-requisites i need. Do i need a specific alarm for it to connect to? I have the manufacturers alarm and immobiliser and tracker. Whats the cost for it?
Please HELP!!
Old 11 February 2005, 02:46 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

I am looking at getting a Clifford Concept 650, that is supposed to have a black jaxx, its in the other post.

Jen
Old 11 February 2005, 05:46 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by alwong
I'm thinking of having the black jaxx but don't know what pre-requisites i need. Do i need a specific alarm for it to connect to? I have the manufacturers alarm and immobiliser and tracker. Whats the cost for it?
Please HELP!!
Blackjax is available as a standalone unit so it works with any alarm
Old 11 February 2005, 06:48 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
I've had a idea, have the keypad version installed with the buttons inside the centre cubby box (behind the handbrake- Newage). I was trying it out last night and it is easy to reach, and the buttons are hidden.
Top Idea Austen, the buttons are well hidden that way !!

Helps to stop the scum find them easily

Mark.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:54 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Top Idea Austen, the buttons are well hidden that way !!

Helps to stop the scum find them easily

Mark.
Apart from the ones reading scoobynet
Old 11 February 2005, 09:19 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Nice one

Last edited by Jen_M; 11 February 2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 13 February 2005, 09:45 PM
Mark@InCarSystems
Scooby Newbie

Installing the Valet switch does not make it obvious that BLACKJAX is installed as the switch has been used on the entire G4 and G5 range for programming regardless of whether BJ is installed or not.
The switch is coded so i am not sure how your dealer intends on installing a single ghost switch, it would require a resistor and two switches.
As for failing regurly this is new to me, if the switch is installed correctly ie not on a curved panel (AJAX) then it should last. I have had the same switch on mine for 5 years with no trouble, using blackjax several times a day.
Old 14 February 2005, 07:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Never heard of blackjax that *didn't* use a plainview switch. I'd stick with what is known and proven...
Old 15 February 2005, 09:06 AM
j@directedtech
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark@InCarSystems
Installing the Valet switch does not make it obvious that BLACKJAX is installed as the switch has been used on the entire G4 and G5 range for programming regardless of whether BJ is installed or not.
The switch is coded so i am not sure how your dealer intends on installing a single ghost switch, it would require a resistor and two switches.
As for failing regurly this is new to me, if the switch is installed correctly ie not on a curved panel (AJAX) then it should last. I have had the same switch on mine for 5 years with no trouble, using blackjax several times a day.
Unless he isnt using genuine blackjax, if he was using a viper alarm with VRS, then a ghost switch could exist. Hows your new job going?
Old 15 February 2005, 10:13 AM
MotorGuard
BANNED

we think some people are getting confused here. The BlackJax is a anti-hijack system by Clifford, the pressure switch system is by Autowatch and not by Clifford.

The pressure switch option was offered as some people said that they didn't fancy entering a code all the time and some said that they didn't want a switch visable. If there is still confusion please give us a call & we will be happy to help.
Old 15 February 2005, 05:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Aha! Thanks for the info. It all becomes clear