Notices

Sigma M30 - Has it got a shock or tilt sensor

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 08:15 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigma M30 - Has it got a shock or tilt sensor

Hi, am i right in saying that the Sigma M30 on my classic my00 - has not got a shock or tilt sensor built into it. If not is there a way of adding them to it. Or is it a case of a cheap second alarm system with them built into it, or a brand new top of the range alarm system.

Cheers for any help in advance
Old 13 February 2005, 08:57 PM
motosparkz
Scooby Newbie

Hi, the M30 doesnt have any tilt/motion sensor, although something like the Clifford Tilt & Motion sensor can be wired up to trigger, but it isn't really a DIY/Novice job
Old 15 February 2005, 10:22 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by petesmith
Hi, am i right in saying that the Sigma M30 on my classic my00 - has not got a shock or tilt sensor built into it. If not is there a way of adding them to it. Or is it a case of a cheap second alarm system with them built into it, or a brand new top of the range alarm system.

Cheers for any help in advance
Shock sensors are not generally built into any Thatcham systems as they can be prone to false alarms. The ultrasonic system employed by the M30 will usually trigger as a result of an impact (such as being struck by another vehicle) when adjusted correctly.
Any tilt sensor or shock sensor can be added to The Sigma M30 system provided that it gives a low (negative) output when triggered, and is activated by a low (negative) from the alarm when armed.
If you wish to fit two sensors, diodes should be fitted to prevent interference between the sensors' trigger outputs.
The Sigma M30 provides the low output to activate the sensors on pin 3 (provided that the alternative boot release output is not required), and the low input to trigger the system is best connected to pin 2 - this is also the boot trigger wire and allows simpler diagnostics in the future sould you experience false alarming problems with the sensors.
In my opinion, tilt sensors are of little use, as they are generally designed to trigger if an attempt is made to tow a vehicle away and this ammount of air movement within the vehicle that this would create would trigger the ultrasonics - they are of little use to protect wheels, as most experienced thieves will not jack a vehicle sufficiently to trigger the sensor when removing the wheels and, if the sensor is adjusted to detect such slight inclinations, it will then be susceptable to false alarms from strong winds, large passing vehicles etc.
I would suggest a dual stage shock sensor and proximity sensor would be the best way to protect the vehicle exterior (and a good set of locking wheel nuts!) again these can be powered from the Sigma M30 in the same way, although the output from the outer/first stage of the sensor would have to be used to power an underbonnet buzzer. This way the outer/first stage can be adjusted on the sensitive side to detect slight movement, but this will only cause the buzzer to sound - hopefully this will deter any undesirables without the inconvenience of frequent false alarms.
SS
Old 15 February 2005, 08:01 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses.

Reason for asking is that i do not want the wheels to go missing one day. Most thieves will test alarms by kicking the car to see if an alarm will go off and a tilt sensor would go off when they tried to jack a car up i was informed. The Dual stage shock sensor and proximity sensor sounds good, but sounds like the wiring up would be dificult.

Are there any cheap alarms with this sort of sensor to fit as a possible secondary alarm system?