Notices

GAP Tracker and CAT1

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 12:16 AM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting an import MY95 WRX hopefully in the next day or so - been checking out security

* is GAP a good make
* been looking at the RAC Trackstar and maybe their Concept 600 CAT 1

would need them to come out and fit it for me how much do think this would cost to do and how much do they charge to come out so to speak!

cheers
Old 24 June 2003, 10:13 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Mickey,

Check out Smartnav from 'Traffic master'.

Probably the best all in one package available.

£499 + £150 fitting.

What you get;

Smartnav button on the dashboard that connects you to a Smartnav PA who verifies your current position and enters your destination into a computer. The computer then calculates the best route taking into account live traffic information, helping you avoid congestion and delays. No update disks as everything is held at acentral location and you speak to a real person. This helps if you don't know the address and just want a 'Marks and Spencer in Bolton' the operator will get it for you and download it to your car, which then gives you voice directions. The PA can also find your nearest ATM machine, pub or place of interest - in fact, any one of more than 90,000 addresses stored on the database. You can even order flowers and champagne or book a hotel room – all without leaving your car!

Smartnav has a number of features and benefits that differentiate it from other systems:

The route is calculated taking into account traffic information collated from Trafficmaster's 7,500 sensors across 8000 miles of the UK's motorways and trunk roads. In addition, if congestion is detected during the journey, Smartnav alerts drivers, offering a quicker route if one is available.

Smartnav PAs also provide emergency and breakdown support. Simply press the button and the PA will locate your exact position and contact the relevant service, ensuring they reach you quickly.
(Price incl. installation & connection)

All for £120 per year.

For an extra £6 per month you can get the 'Safe speed option' that warns you of fixed speed cameras (Snooper Neo or similar would cost £599 fitted AND £5 per month)

Another £8 per month option is a std tracker option. RAC Trackstar is £599 fitted and £10 per month. This is not as comprehensive as some of the tracker options as it can't warn you if you vehicle has moved, and it doesn't have Blackjax.

Disclaimer!!! I have nothing to do with SmartNav!!!

I do think it is a very good all in one option, and I will be fitting this to my car when I get it.

Hope this helps in some way...

Al.

Edited to say that you would still need an alarm....

[Edited by Alan C - 6/24/2003 10:15:33 AM]
Old 25 June 2003, 12:21 PM
fin
Scooby Regular

GAP is a company not a make stay away from then at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RAC Trackster does warn you when you car is being moved.

one of the best thats why i got one!
Old 25 June 2003, 01:09 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Mickey, caralarmuk have an offer on concept 600 at the minute, according to their website.
£599.99 INCLUDING INSTALLATION

I'm thinking of the 300 at £320
Old 25 June 2003, 01:23 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Warning about the Concept 600.

Do a search for the 600 on the BB as I've read and been warned about the noisy electronics from the 600 can cause problems with the electronics on Subarus.

The Concept 500 does not suffer from this problem. I was advised that when going for the Clifford, go for the 500 and add the options YOU want, rather than buying the more expensive unit with all the bells and whistles, only to find that you wont use them.

The most probable fit I'll be going for on mine will be a Clifford 500 alarm with options and Smartnav with Safedriver and tracker options.

Al.
Old 26 June 2003, 08:57 AM
fin
Scooby Regular

If i wanted to look for my RAC Tracker i would have nowhere to start

If i wanted to find a smartnav i would just look at the big switch on the dash and follow the wire to the main control box. Ime sure scum would have no problem finding it and throwing it out the window!
Old 26 June 2003, 09:14 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Regarding concept 600/subaru problems. *cough* bollocks *cough*

Some older STIs/WRXs had troubles due to noisy electrics in those models. Clifford released an update 4 years ago to fix this by adding smoothing to the power supply or something like that. Anything in the last 4 years should have had this on the alarm as standard IIRC.

I had a Concept 600 fitted to my MY00 and it was faultless.

Cheers,
Nick.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2003, 11:32 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Talking

Two stabs to the heart!! LOL!

**Jab, Jab, left Hook**

Fin, absolutely. No alarm / tracker will completely secure you car. But when funds are limited, and it comes to finding the best 'bang for bucks system', I think the SmartNav is the best out there. It's not perfect, but what is?

** Punch, Left, right combo, uppercut**

Nick, Mmmm... I'm taking the fifth on this mate. Just passing on what some fitters 'of repute' passed on to me when I broached this very question on this very BB and in a shop. Just goes to show that you do need to ask some (Many?) questions before getting an averaged out answer that just about clears the mist.

** Oof, still standing after taking a count of 4!!**

Al.
Old 26 June 2003, 12:44 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, did come across a little bit "oooh", didn't I?

In short: it was a problem in 1999, it isn't now . Back in 1999, the fitter had to order a specially modified unit which had a couple of caps in it to smooth the supply to the alarm. A red dot was stuck on the box, or something equally technical

Apparently it's all sorted now, but at least the fitter knows that there is something to check for which hints that they've installed on imprezas before, always a good thing!
Old 26 June 2003, 01:03 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Don't worry Nick, I'm a big lad **sniff** I can take it.. Honest..

I'm not mentaly scarred or anything, well not more than normal anyway!

Just shows the value of this BB and the experience it holds. Always pays to ask the question, there's bound to be some gem that will help.

Sorry to hijack the thread Mickey, but your getting your money's worth in entertainment and advice!!

Al.
Old 29 June 2003, 11:24 PM
Rafique
Scooby Regular

Dr Cliffords got a special offer on the c600 @ £525 all inclusive. However you have to travel to him. I spoke to him the other day as he's computers still not sorted. Said he could fit the C600 @ £500 if purchased with a Traker monitor which he fits for Scoobynet lads @ £350. Oh he's in Birmingham and his number is 0121 359 1617.
Old 04 July 2003, 12:27 AM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

got a good deal on a CAT 1 and a tracker Monitor for £550 - nod bad eh!
Old 04 July 2003, 12:29 AM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

got a good deal on a CAT 1 and a tracker Monitor for £550 - nod bad eh!
Old 04 July 2003, 12:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I think its the wireless immobiliser that you cannot use on the JDm classic cars, the 500 is the same as the 600 except it doesnt have this option (new JDM cars dont suffer this problem ).

Tony
Old 04 July 2003, 12:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

PS,
Lots of bad reviews about G*P security (normally referred to as Cr*p security )

Tony