Notices

Clifford Concept 500 or Tracker Monitor..

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 09:59 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my first Scoob and obviously the first thing I want to do is make sure that I keep it! I've budgeted about £500 for security and am torn between the two. I know ideally I should have both but funds don't allow that right now. Just wondering what most people out there would recommend I go with? It has the Sigma M30 already on it but obviously the Concept 500 is a far better alarm and my negatives to the tracker are that if my car got stolen and badly damaged would I really want it back. With a top alarm it shouldn't get stolen to start with. I look forward to your thoughts...!

Dan.
Old 17 June 2003, 03:13 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

WEll the car has a CAT 1 alarm already, why rip it out and replace it with another CAT 1 alarm with a few more toys?

I would personally add the Tracker first, and then when finances allow, and if you feel the need to then change the alarm.
Old 17 June 2003, 11:37 AM
philz
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, prevention is better than cure so I'd go for the Clifford.

I'm the same as you, if my car was nicked I wouldn't necessarily want it back anyway, it's just not the same.
Old 17 June 2003, 01:29 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

if you wanted both rac trackstar do interest free on the trackers, i was in a similar situation so i bought the alarm n pay for my tracker monthly it costs me £20 a month
Old 17 June 2003, 08:59 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Don't assume that with a good alarm it shouldn't get stolen - many thefts of high performance cars these days are done by methods that bypass the security no matter how good, such as stealing the keys or lifting the car onto a low-loader van.

The Clifford's anti-hijack should help with the first though, and I believe the M30 has a similar feature a little less advanced which has to be manually activated each time (superlock or something?).
Old 18 June 2003, 11:55 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback. A fair mix of preferences really. Guess it's very much an individual choice thing. At the moment though I'm leaning towards going for a Concept 600 now (only £50 more than the 500) and perhaps a tracker next year when funds allow. Hope it's not a call I regret making...!!!
Old 19 June 2003, 11:32 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I've got a C600 and telematics-type tracker on mine (basically the same as a normal tracker but you can also bring up a map on the computer of where your car's been and what speed etc any time you want).

TBH it does kinda give peace of mind from 90% of thieving ******* but IMO if I'm unlucky enough to be targetted by pros they'd probably throw it onto a wagon and cover it in a metal mesh faraday cage type stuff which would stop any tracking signal get out. I've heard it happens now and again and that approach is pretty immune to any security so it's just preventing the more opportunist types and hoping the pros pass you by for a bigger fish.

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2003, 12:15 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

So it looks like that's another vote for the Clifford then. Well I've just sorted out my insurance today and they don't insist on a tracker so perhaps there's another push towards the Clifford too. It's true what you say though nothing's totally immune if they're pros and they want your car they'll get it regardless. If I do go for the Concept 600 it seems from on here that Dr Clifford is a good man for the job? It's a bit of a drive from me but one worth making if it's going to be a top notch install.
Old 25 June 2003, 07:42 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

I would go for clifford as its easy to add total closure remote start turbo timers and powerful door lock servos as and when you r need them.
Old 26 June 2003, 09:11 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmm.

Difficult.

The standard alarm is, IMHO, not very clever. I will upgrade mine sometime in the future.

But I've already got tracking on it, so I'd say tracking first...
Old 26 June 2003, 02:09 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

I've always had Cliffords on all my cars before and agree the standard sigma alarm aint all that.
I've set it to autolock doors when ignition is turned on and also have Blackjax fitted, with auto immobilisation on.

Ideally I'd go for a Concept 500 or 600 when funds available, but the Sigma is a Cat1 at then end of the day, and I guess my current setup should stop the scoob going walkies for the time being.
Old 26 June 2003, 03:41 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Opinion really is divided between the Clifford and the Tracker isn't it! I had a Concept 50x on my previous car and was always happy with that and I know the 500/600 is a big step forward from that. I think that personally I'm going to go for the Clifford and hope that a Tracker is never neccessary because nobody gets their grubby hands on it in the first place!

Dan.

ps Wideboy you're not far from me. How's the Prince of Wales these days???!!!!
Old 26 June 2003, 04:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Should also add that you could add blackjax as a separate unit as a stopgap... Then if you do go the full upgrade, you can flog the unit on ebay...
Old 27 June 2003, 04:17 PM
SUTTS
Scooby Regular

I would go for the tracker, cos there's nothin worse when ur cars gone, than sitting there wondering if its in a muddy field, being used for a robbery or mowing down pedestrians.
Old 29 June 2003, 11:14 PM
Rafique
Scooby Regular

Why not get a tilt sensor fitted to the m30 and a tracker. Dr clifford recently fitted the two (Tracker monitor and a tilt sensor)to my friend car for little over £400. Now even if the thieving gits try to put the car on a wagon the alarm will go off. The M30 is a good alarm. Its thatcham approved and with a tilt sensor the only thing you dont have which the c600 has is dual zone prox and blackjax. The Blackjax can be fitted @ £150. I reckon if you give Richard a call on 0121 359 1617 he should do the Blackjax, tilt sensor and Tracker monitor at the £550 mark. This way you get a good alarm, Black jax and even a monitored tracker system.
Old 30 June 2003, 12:17 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Get both!