Notices

brake recommendations ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 06:45 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello fellow scottish scoob drivers.....I've just got my first car - an MY95 uk 4dr in green - it's k-wality !

Its just been into AF Noble for its 75k service and I've been told it needs new brake kit all round (discs and pads). Which means I dont think I'll see much change out of 600 notes so I'm after some suggestions on possible upgrades / prices etc from anyones own experience of doing this overhaul.

Also - anyone got any feedback on how long / often your cooling fan for the rad should come on ? I had a fried head on my last car and I'm paranoid about the cooling system on this car....

cheers all
Old 11 February 2002, 07:47 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Give Richard Small (also a Subaru owner) a call at Pentland Components in Edinburgh (0131 553 1313). They can supply standard replacement discs and pads all round for your model. Probably looking at £150 ish, and not too difficult to fit yourself with some common sense.

David
Old 11 February 2002, 08:39 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks very much for the info david - I'll get in touch tomorrow methinks. I'm afraid I'm not equipped to do the job (thats my excuse anyway)...apart from anything else i have no drive or parking place really so doing it on the street is a no go. Its the labour that bumps up the price i would imagine but i gotta find somewhere less expensive than subaru

cheers
steve
Old 12 February 2002, 06:28 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Ta for the recommendation Dave.

Hi Steve - just spoke to you - you have mail...

Rich
Old 12 February 2002, 06:51 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Hey Rich

Do you stock discs for a 95 WRX ?
Have you had any reports of anyone using them for track days etc ? My last discs warped and cracked (unknown supplier) and that was just road use !
I'm not sure if I should try another standard set, pay extra for drilled/grooved, or just bite the bullet and go for APs

cc
Old 12 February 2002, 06:57 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

S-man

I can recommend Brian Lees Motor Engineer in Port Seton for fitting your brakes. He uses Pentland Components parts and is used to working with Cossies/GT4s etc.
Very competitivly priced too.

You can get Brian on 01875 819100

Old 12 February 2002, 07:13 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich - cheers for the call bud much appreciated - I'll be in touch...

Cossie Convert - again thanks for the tip man - I think I may have a mate whos reliable for the job but failing that I'll give yer man a call cheers.

s-man

PS great board ! - thanks for the help guys
Old 12 February 2002, 07:37 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve,

Best recommendation I could give u m8 is get a set of used P1 fronts if u can m8. Best upgrade i ever done, u can pick them up 4 a couple of hunner quid on this board when some 1 feels flush n goes for the big brake kits I got a set that had only done 16 miles for £350 early last year if i remember right.
An the pads have only worn bout 3mm and disks about 1-2mm. Which is imressive if u`d seen me drive

BTW welcome 2 the board n have phun

Pete
Old 12 February 2002, 07:59 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Teknopete - thanks for the advice...If I'm not mistaken someone on the board is selling theirs (although i think they may be spoken for).

It does sound like a d@m good option as well but I kinda need to get this sorted asap so I don't think its that feasible unfortunately Sounds like a sweet deal you got tho...nice 1 !

havin a great time on the board thanks - this scooby malarkey is addictive in so many ways

steve
Old 12 February 2002, 10:08 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

How about a nice set of AP brakes not sure if they will fit the 95 WRX but if they do they stop you pretty rapid!!
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=71735

Don't know if they have been sold though... ...

Old 12 February 2002, 10:13 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

S-Man

Plenty brake recommendations already, so an answer to your cooling fan question.

Fan should come on between 90-100 degreees, so you wont hear it much at this time of year, unless you leave the motor ticking over for 20 mins.The fan is worked off a sensor which is activated by the ECU.If the sensor fails it will illuminate the 'check engine' light on the dash....so plenty warnings if your fans out of order.

So no worries about overheating....quality fuji engineering

Dave

Old 12 February 2002, 10:41 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

WillieF - nice kit....I'll check it out thanks for the pointer....

Dave - cheers for reading & answering about the fan - although what youve said doesnt really reassure me totally since my fan is on at the end of practically every journey i make (altho i do sit in a lot of stationary traffic in the morning)....the fan is on a lot just now ...and stays on as long as i leave the key turned on. Which kinda leads me to another question : you say that sitting @idle for 20 mins will cause the fan to kick-in yet in other posts I have read say that its a good idea to leave the car idling til the fan cuts out....can both things be true ?

I do believe its quality engineering ....thats partly why I was confident of buying a relatively old example but man this overheating thing just doesnt quite add up for me yet...

cheers all

steve
Old 12 February 2002, 11:32 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Once warmed up, if sitting in heavy traffic the fan(s) should be cycling on and off as required.
If they are staying on constantly at this time of year I would get it checked out.

cc
Old 13 February 2002, 12:34 AM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Agree with CC, would be wise to get a check on the diagnostics to see if the sensors faulty.

Dave
Old 13 February 2002, 01:12 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Steve,

U r lucky m8 I canna get mine 2 come on
Even after a good kickin lol
Old 13 February 2002, 11:54 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cosie Convert

Yes indeed - you have mail.

Rich
Old 13 February 2002, 06:58 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich, thanks for the info and advice

cc
Old 13 February 2002, 08:39 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Question

To CC & Dave

another question (of course!) -

Is it reasonable to expect anything faulty (like a sensor) or whatever to have been picked up when my car was serviced a few days ago ? I'd have thought that the cars ecu would be interrogated routinely when it was in ....what do you think ?

Well - after a fairly pleasant run this evening I can say that the temp gauge isnt budging from halfway but the fan stayed on for yonks when i got home - I waited for a couple of minutes but the footys on so I stopped it before it went off....

Tekno...can't believe yours never comes on....maybe they run better the harder theyre driven....I think I may have to test that theory

Old 13 February 2002, 10:36 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

It is usual practice to check & clear the memory after the service, worth a call to them to ask if it was done.Fan shouldnt run for minutes, usually blasts for a minute or so then goes off, and comes back on again after a few minutes at idle.

Dave
Old 14 February 2002, 09:26 AM
s-man
Scooby Regular

...cheers Dave I think I'll do that just for peace of mind - my fan activity definitely isn't in line with what you say is normal.

I'll probably be back with another question or 10 later but thanks again for now ....

steve