Notices

112mph on motorway near edinburgh. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2005, 11:14 PM
alanctr
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 112mph on motorway near edinburgh. Help.

Not clever I know, however it was midnight, no other traffic, self in car. Was recorded by unmarked car over 0.84 mile at ave speed of 112. I don't think was going much faster and the "average" represents more or less my constant speed along that section of road.

I'm 35, no accidents though SP30 (3 points) from Feb 2003 and no previous points.

Officer was decent enough though there was no question of a talking to and on your way. I believe that the PF can pursue a charge of dangerous driving when over 100mph which I am seriously concerned about for obvious reasons. I will need to wait and see what charge comes through the post.

Has anyone out there been up on a similiar charge and outcome. It will be Edinburgh Sheriff Court that I would appear so if anyone had a case there recently I'd appreciate knowing penalty dished out.

Thanks
Old 27 October 2005, 01:22 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Over 100mph and you'll nearly always get banned. At 112mph it would have to be exceptional circumstances to avoid a ban. Sorry but you won't be driving for a while
Old 27 October 2005, 04:28 PM
vaughant
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Over 100mph and you'll nearly always get banned. At 112mph it would have to be exceptional circumstances to avoid a ban. Sorry but you won't be driving for a while
Not neccesarily, if you can prove that you need the car for work and it would be detrimental to your livelyhood, moment of madness, quiet roads etc then they may offer you a hefty fine and one of these driver awerness courses ( if they do that in Scot?).I remember a mate from the RS owners club a few years back got a ban for a month for 120mph in similar circumstances, that`s not too bad is it really? As with all these things i may be stating the obvious, but on yor day in court make sure your suited and booted, hold your head down in shame, all day, you never know who`s watching and express how very sorry you are for all the trouble you`ve caused and it will NEVER happen again. People laugh when i say that but if you turn up giving it all that, then the judge will take great pleasure in nailing you. Oh and one more thing (lol), don`t drive down there if you think you maybe banned,(stating the obvious maybe) they often have people follow you out of court to check if you`ve driven home and nail you when your in the car, and that will have you spending some free time at Her Majesty`s pleasure and being unable to pick up soap when you drop it in the shower for fear of..... ughhhhhh!!! Good luck mate, you seem pretty remorseful anyway and i`m sure this will reflect on your day in court, regards Vaughan.
Old 27 October 2005, 05:24 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not clever I know, however it was midnight, no other traffic, self in car
Damned right it's not clever.....what the hell were you hanging about for ? ... only 112mph ... pah

Good luck with the outcome

oh.....and for the self righteous brigade......hope they throw away the key
Old 27 October 2005, 06:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I remember a mate from the RS owners club a few years back got a ban for a month for 120mph in similar circumstances, that`s not too bad is it really?
Its still a ban though and getting say 11 points and a massive fine is a whole different ball game to being banned. They take a fact and degree approach but I suspect that at 112mph they are unlikely to say that you were just a 'little' over the unofficial 100mph ban mark. I hope you avoid a ban as it gives hope for us all Let us know the outcome.
Old 28 October 2005, 04:17 PM
IanJ
Scooby Regular

Just tell them you're an undercover copper and you were testing the car. Case closed...
Old 28 October 2005, 05:16 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Go visit www.pepipoo.com for some good advice!! Excellent site which helped get me off once upon a time although i wasnt doing over a ton.
Old 28 October 2005, 05:58 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

I'd be seriously suprised if they do not ban you. You can only avoid a ban IF you can PROVE you need your car for some reason, like your job or sick granny etc. Your boss etc. will have to back you.
Even then, they might give you 9-12+ points etc. so 1 more point and you're banned anyway.
AFAIK you cannot use the same excuss in court twice.
Old 28 October 2005, 06:19 PM
cazneck
Scooby Regular

Default Speeding

i was in the same position as you just recently , only difference was that i was on my MV AGUSTA F4 motorbike clocked at 124mph,on dual carrigeway between Glenrothes and kirkcaldy six oclock on a sunday evening light traffic good visibility, when pulled over (eventually) i was given same spiel about pf will decide wether dangerous driving or just speeding!! luckily for me it was decided that i was only speeding, i also had 3 points on my licence for speeding back in july 04. Was up at Kirkcaldy court (Fife) on 12th Oct. fined £100 and banned for 4 weeks!! YES, FOUR WEEKS. I could not believe my luck as i was convinced i would be banned for at least six months, so best of luck when you do go to court
Old 28 October 2005, 10:11 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Man how lucky were you? four weeks ban for 124 on a bike!! i remember a guy caught at 156 on his blade, quiet roads, police said he was riding well just too fast... 6mnths in prison!!

this nearly put me off biking.
Old 29 October 2005, 04:59 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Ok this is going back about 4 years but i was clocked at 110mph in a cosworth on the way back from Crail and racing with two other cars just behind Kirkcaldy long staight'ish bit of road .

At the scene the coppers were none too pleased and told me there and then that i would loose my liscence and they also told me they would be looking to get me done for .

1, Driving without due care and attention.
2, Dangerous driving.
3, Racing on a public highway act 1970 something.
4, Speeding .

When it got to court 5 months later the only charge that was not dropped was the speeding one for which i got a 3 month ban and £500 fine that i got to pay in installments but good luck just depends on the day really .

Pongo555
Old 29 October 2005, 06:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

All very well Pongo but one question remains....................... did you win?
Old 29 October 2005, 08:47 PM
alanctr
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for responses - much appreciated. From other forums and websites there are similiar responses, it's very subjective and you have to just go with fingers crossed and apologise. I will update once outcome known.

cheers
Old 30 October 2005, 10:37 PM
daftiebaws
Scooby Newbie

i would try not to worry about it too mich mate, its done now and you have to move on.

i think considering someone was chasing you and you had heard that a lot of scoobys are being stolen these days that you were scared. yes? of course

you were trying to get away and didnt want to mention it to the cops at the time cos you didnt think they would beleive you and acuse you of taking drugs.

simple.