Notices

Commuting: dundee - dyce

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 10:12 PM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commuting: dundee - dyce

does anyone commute between dundee and dyce.

any traffic problems or areas to avoid?

how much in petrol roughly a week is it?

also how far is aberdeen train station from dyce?

cheers.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:03 PM
Tim WRC
Scooby Regular

one of the lads that works for me (just off union street, right in the liddle of aberdeen town centre) lives in Dyce and gets the train in from there rather than driving in as its a bit of a nightmare. I'm not sure on connecting times between Dundee, Aberdeen and dyce tho
Old 17 June 2004, 11:05 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

There's a guy in the office who commutes each day from Broughty Ferry to Stoneywood (we are a stone's throw from BP). IIRC, he catches the train or drives. Will have a chat tomorrow and get back with more details.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:06 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

To answer your questions,

does anyone commute between dundee and dyce - not me, I commute from Shetland to Dyce - weekly that is, mind you sometimes twice a week

any traffic problems or areas to avoid? - Aberdeen in general, at rush hour times trying to cross Aberdeen as you'd be doing is a nightmare

how much in petrol roughly a week is it? - depends on car

also how far is aberdeen train station from dyce? - there's a station at Dyce, takes 10 mins from Aberdeen Station (Dyce from Abz station is approx 7 miles)
Bizzarely the Edinburgh train passes through Aberdeen station and terminates at Dyce - make sense of that if you can....

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Groat; 17 June 2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 18 June 2004, 09:37 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Bizzarely the Edinburgh train passes through Aberdeen station and terminates at Dyce - make sense of that if you can....
Kevin.
I used to get the Glasgow train on a Monday morning at 05:55 that got me to Dyce for 08:55 IIRC then walked to the office from there.

Scotrail timetable tells you all the times etc.

Last edited by caz1562; 18 June 2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:13 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I used to commute from Montrose to Dyce every day. Would leave Montrose at 6.45ish, get onto the A90 at Marykirkfor just before 7 and head up. Arrive at Bridge of Dee roundabout, then spend the next 40 minutes doing Anderson Drive and Auchmill Road.

Traffic flows freely up the A90 till about Newtonhill at that time, then the volume of people wafting along in the fast lane makes progress limited.

Anderson Drive would always be steady untill the Hadagain (sp?) roundabout, which would be heavilly queued, then its pretty much bumper to bumper all the way to Stoneywood, then it opens up a bit more freely to Dyce.

I used to do it in a V6 Calibra, sitting at 75-85mph where possible I would use about 70 litres of fuel a week. (slightly over 400 miles a week, working mon-fri)

I looked into the train, cant remember the costs off-hand, but would have had to change trains in Aberdeen to get out to Dyce, then still be left with a few miles to walk, I would have had to leave at a very un-Godly hour every morning for an 8am start. Driving proved to be a better option.

I really enjoy driving, even if it is just a mundane commute, so didnt mind it at all, but a few people I know used to really hate the journey after a few weeks of it.
Old 21 June 2004, 03:10 AM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

got myself a full tank o petrol and going up tomorow hopefully if i leave dyce at 4.30pm will i get home in time for the croatia game....

any roadworks or secret polis spots?
Old 21 June 2004, 03:27 PM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

Don't go via the Bridge of Dee. Cut off at Stonehaven and go via Maryculter and Cults.
Old 21 June 2004, 03:36 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

wee tip watch hoards of cars turning off in strange places these tend to be good short cuts.
i drive up from forfar at least once a week i personally gave up driving up on mon morning and now drive up on a sun night but easy for me as i have digs to stay in occasionally go to the air port to drop people off a bloody nightmare takes about and hour to do 8 miles in the evening though!
Old 21 June 2004, 06:40 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Most of Abdn isn't too good around rush hour, as the majority of people are going out of town in every direction possible. That said, you'd be going the opposite way to everyone else from dyce into town, but then you'd get caught up from market st area, right down to wellington rd, and the main road south to dundee, if you went through town.
It's probably viable, and it's about an hour from abz to dundee normally, but it'd be more than that at rush hour.
I'd stay out of town, and take the back roads around the city, then try and join the stonehaven road just past cove or thereabouts

Aberdeen station is miles away from dyce - completely the opposite end of town, but some trains stop at Abdn, then go on to dyce after that, which might be an idea.
Old 22 June 2004, 01:55 AM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

well the interview went well and will hear back soon so fingers crossed as i'm the only fresh grad. going for the post.

they were resurfacing the main road through abd. after the bridge and was held up for around 20 mins, luckily i allowed an extra hour. saw cars darting off but didnt want to get lost...
was a round trip of 166 miles 3/4 tank of tescos finest used - think i'll get the train and bike the 4 miles round the airport if i get the job.

saw a uk 300 on way back and we passed each other a few times, nice car.
also had an s2000 come up behind me but i moved over and let him past, then he gunned it - nippy things those s2000s.
rain was torrential in parts - glad i have 4wd

anyway, thanks to the advice guys

Last edited by nyquist; 22 June 2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:23 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Allan the guy here who commutes up the road each morning, it normally takes him about an hour and ten minutes, he leaves the house at 5.45 and normally gets into the office at just before 7am. He leaves the office at about 4pm and gets home a bit after five.

He was saying usually he finds the delays are at the Dundee end!