Notices

Another AWD story

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 03:26 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another AWD story

With hindsight, I should really listen to what other Scoob owners say but the WRX was booked into AWD yesterday to 'fix' a misfire on the car.

A job list was drawn up on Saturday past, of which I ruled out half of, as the work had already been carried out over the last couple of weeks (coilpacks, belts, check ECU for chip etc)

The car goes in and the courtesy car is taken for the day, to be returned at 4pm

From the remainder of the check-list agreed, I anticipated a £250ish bill as it was to be primarily labour and perhaps a few odds n sods.

The bill was presented (it wasn't me that collected the car and settled the bill), at £750!

I wouldn't be so pi$$ed off if the car was, and I quote "running 10 times better", but it was just as sick as when it went in that morning.

£500 of parts had been replaced on the car, including £220 worth of coil packs, without so much as a phone-call for authorisation

So i got on the phone to Grant who threw his toys out the pram and wouldn't even tell me what gap the new plugs had been set to, as I had the "cheek" to question their work!

At the end of the day, I won't be taking any more cars back to AWD and i will join the masses that vow the same.

Rant over...

Paul

*DISCLAIMER* All of the above it typed in the heat of the moment and is IMHO
Old 14 May 2004, 03:49 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Paul.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:41 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Red face

Edited to remove potentially libelous content, please keep your posts factual and leave the name calling for another BBS

Last edited by sasim; 15 May 2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 14 May 2004, 05:12 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Paul do you still have your bugeye WRX? I thought you were selling that?

Sounds like a nasty experience but I've heard bad words about AWD, Falklands and all the rest of them including main dealers. I can't honestly think of ANY time I've taken ANY car into ANY garage and left totally satisfied. I personally think the best thing to do when working on cars is to do the research, make the time and do the work yourself. Who'd look after your car better than you??
Old 14 May 2004, 05:17 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Always 2 sides to a story...

robinH20mrv : There's a surprise! A thread about AWD and your one of the first to stick a snide comment in, fair point you've had a bad experience but I'm sure all of the Scottish forum have heard about this WAY to many times! How long ago was it now??.......

Since owning my 98 Impreza I've used AWD for major (piston slap) and minor repair/servicing without any problems with them or there work, they've always been top notch..

It's a shame that at present people are so quick to post up all the negative feedback that happens to there cars when worked on...

- Bee
Old 14 May 2004, 05:53 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bee
robinH20mrv : There's a surprise! A thread about AWD and your one of the first to stick a snide comment in, fair point you've had a bad experience but I'm sure all of the Scottish forum have heard about this WAY to many times! How long ago was it now??.......

Since owning my 98 Impreza I've used AWD for major (piston slap) and minor repair/servicing without any problems with them or there work, they've always been top notch..

It's a shame that at present people are so quick to post up all the negative feedback that happens to there cars when worked on...

- Bee
To be fair m8 your not the one who has forked out £750 for work which you had carried out 3 weeks previous. Work may I add which was not authorisation to be done.
Old 14 May 2004, 05:58 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up val,

i am the first to reply as i am home just now, ie not offshore, and i may add i am not "shy" about speaking out, i AM glad you are happy with them. EDITED

cheers then!!

Edited to remove potentially libelous content, please keep your posts factual and leave the name calling for another BBS

Last edited by sasim; 15 May 2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 14 May 2004, 06:12 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

This isn't the AWD that I know. The guys had my first Scooby in for a fault finding exersice (not running properly), the short of the story was that in the end they didn't fix her but they didnt charge me a penny for the day and a half they were working on it.

I would say that you should go back and speak to Grant in person instead of posting bad comments about the guys.
I cant belive that they would put out a car thats not running properly or any better than it came in.

I dont get any work done there but have spoken to Scooby owners from as far as south of England who have come up to get work done and they were more than happy.

This should be settled in the AWD workshop not the Scoobynet bbs.

Just my opinion.

HI SOOB
Old 14 May 2004, 06:16 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Paul, I meant to ask, who carried out the work three weeks ago?? Why were they unable to fix it?? Or was the work done by yourself?

Just wondered

HI SOOB
Old 14 May 2004, 07:15 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Paul do you still have your bugeye WRX?
Hi Kenny. Sold that to Spooks last year!

Originally Posted by HI SOOB
This should be settled in the AWD workshop not the Scoobynet bbs.
I have spoken to Grant who was nothing but confrontational when questioned about the work carried out.
I feel I would be doing the community a dis-service by not highlighting the bad experience i've had with AWD.

Originally Posted by HI SOOB
Paul, I meant to ask, who carried out the work three weeks ago??
Fiskens in Forfar carried out work on the car, followed by an auto-electrician.

At the end of the day, if Mr Swan brought his PC to me, saying it was running slow, would i fit a gig of ram, a 3.4ghz P4, SCSI HDD etc without his consent? No!
I would however replace his CMOS battery and rape him for £750 in the hope he knows nothing about PCs
Old 14 May 2004, 07:27 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I have always bit my toungue with these types of threads but I will tell of my experience.
The scoob was put in for a service only to have me called back for a substancial list of faults. One of with being the oil pump (oil in the tray, fair enough go ahead) the others were going to add up to a bill in excess on £1k on top of the service !!!
I chose not to go ahead with rest of the repairs and for the record the car has gone in to Fiskens then another place (ask Ian -Scoobylav-) and not needed any of the supposed faults. (+ 1 year on and a good few '000 miles later) I also had a Dawes fitted at the same time that wasnt set up correctly that gave me a bad case of whiplash all the way to Dunfermline where Dr Banks sorted it.
I tend to let people know of this via pm when the "we love AWD" gang recommend them as a service provider. Wouldnt put my car there for a wash now tbh.

Last edited by PG; 14 May 2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 14 May 2004, 08:22 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Geez Paul , sorry to hear about that.
Dont wanna comment for fear of the thread being locked but needless to say gutted
Spooks
Old 15 May 2004, 12:58 AM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Please keep your posts factual and leave out the name calling and smart comments.

Stuart
Old 15 May 2004, 01:07 AM
my94
Scooby Regular

Are we talking about the same people!!!!!!
I"ve found Grant to be most helpful and the service/quality of work carried out by AWD to be of the highest!!
I"m sorry to hear this.............it seems to me that all the regular garages(The Garage,Greer Sport,Fiskens,Wallace Performance,S & S,Nobles,etc)Scooby owners use have had some nightmare storys about them.But they've all had good things said about them too,by many people.So I guess that unless ur a mechanical genius,with tools,a select monitor and a workshop ur going to have to use a garage sometime.
Some people like robinH20MRV could continue to tell us his story........perhaps someone on Scoobynet hasn't read one of his posts about his AWD story.
The moral of my story seems to be ......... if somewhere gives u good service/price/quality of work ,then they'll stay in bussiness with your repeat custom and new customers through word of mouth.If they don't,they won't.
For me....AWD has my vote and custom everytime.
Old 15 May 2004, 07:36 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

can't say i've heard robin's story before!
Old 15 May 2004, 10:58 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Perhaps Grant can reply on here to regain credibility if it's needed?

Only posts i seem to come across from him are the ones to give a shameless plug for his company which have had cars which have been on his premises
Old 15 May 2004, 11:50 AM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Well I'm going to say no more on this subject. All I will say is that I was speaking to Grant earlier and the story is VERY clear now. Wont be puting me of them.#

But just incase........must dash off as I need to be in Banbury before Prodrive close today. Got a bulb out on the Scooby and it would seem that they are the only ones capable in the country of fixing Scoobies.

LOL
Old 15 May 2004, 11:58 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

I havent heard the story either and I would tend to agree with Alan.
Old 15 May 2004, 12:26 PM
Grant Swan
Scooby Regular

Post honest reply

Dave using Grants og in.

We always try our best to fix all probs on the day.Unfortunately due to non availability of parts this job could not be finished.To be honest I was shocked at how bad this car was running, but we can only rectify faults with parts we have available.

The work I have carried out on this car was required, regardless of what other garages have tried/fitted to get this one right.All of the parts I have replaced were faulty, and as I have nothing to hide, all the old parts I removed from the car were given back to the customer for him to take away (this is our policy).

The customer was informed in full of all the work I carried out to his car on the day,what I had done and why.And more importantly that the car was NOT finished as I needed more parts to fix the fault.Customer was then informed what was still outstanding and why.

For the techno bods on here.....the car is running 37 degrees of ignition advance at idle.A fault we have come across before which is rectified by an ECU change.Without an ECU to fit to the car on the day, no way was it going to run right!!

With regards to the invoice, we re-sell genuine subaru parts at the retail price set by the dealers and our labour rate is set.Its always a problem when a customer leaves a contact number that is incorrect, phone switched off etc etc. and we are unable to contact them for authorisation.We have to decide whether to go ahead & do a repair, or just do nothing and waste the customers and our time.We are not the first garage to have this problem & we wont be the last.

My final word on this post is " I try my best ", shoot me down if you want!!

Dave
Old 15 May 2004, 12:52 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

off thread

wow dave you had time to answer when your phones have been going daft all morning ?!??!?!

ps i am getting that pipe locally but thanks anyway

Stephen
Old 15 May 2004, 01:22 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

Scooby Dooby Blue ............sounds like your beef should be with Fiskens of Forfar.I trust Dave completly with my pride and joy.I really don't believe that he would replace parts just to bump up the bill.That's not how the guys run their shop.In fact,Grant has gone out of his way to save me money on several occasions.
There is always two sides to a story................everyone's entitled to their opinion.
What gets me is that most folk find a garage they trust and stick with it,yet you've used Fiskens then AWD.So you've asumed that Fiskens did a good job,sounds to me like Dave sorted out their shoddy work.
Anyways,I'm off to work............and just want to say Dave is a sound guy,I trust him with my car and wish u all a good weekend.
Old 15 May 2004, 02:11 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

don't usually reply to these threads, as they never seem to go anywhere, but i feel i have to 'highlight the experience' i have had with AWD. i bought my Sti2 in February '03, knowing alsolutely nothing about them (pretty stupid i know), and several problems from the outset. after trying to rectify these problems with the dealer from which i bought the car (and getting nowhere), i put a thread on here asking where was the best independant garage to look at my scoob. AWD seemed to have the best rep out of the replys i got so idecided to go there, rather than several closer garages. all my initial problem were sorted right away, quickly, cheaply, and to my total satisfaction.

since then i have used AWD for everything - servicing,MOT,upgrades,repairs and advice and cannot fault them in any way. AWD have also sorted me out for no charge at least 3 times over this time (including when me old man reversed into my car in the drive and mashed my back bumper!)my car runs 10 times better than it did when i bought it and has done since i stared going to AWD.

i don't pretend to know much about scoobs or garages, but feel i have to agree with HI SOOB and my94 here and support grant, dave and mike.

cheers guys, dodge
Old 15 May 2004, 05:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

my94,
You really do have a hard-on for the AWD guys dont you
Old 15 May 2004, 05:28 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

sorry to hear about that paul and hope your cars sorted now

and bee , if u had only spent a fraction of the money robin spent maybe u would have felt his anger

i have nothing to say on awd coz i never dealt with them
Old 16 May 2004, 12:51 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

very good.

Last edited by Bee; 16 May 2004 at 01:02 PM.