Notices

FAO: Saxo Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 11:16 AM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give me some advice about 'C' listed buildings in East Lothain ?

Old 12 January 2004, 12:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No problem, shoot
Old 12 January 2004, 01:16 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Thinking about buying a flat but it dates from 1730, it's a 'c' listed property within a conservation area. what does that really mean ?? If I buy it am I going to have lots of problems in the future ??

Thanks.
Old 12 January 2004, 01:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ok, its conservation area status means its very likely that any external alterations to the building will require planning permission and that the application will be looked at in more detail than if it wasn't in a conservation area. This will mean that if you want to paint the front door (external) a different colour it will need planning permission. With regard to listings there three grades of listing starting with the most important A, then B, the C(s). Given your building is C(s) listed should you wish to make internal alterations to it, i.e. take out a traditional fire place or cornicing or put holes in walls then it will potentially require a listed building consent application. The fact that the building is listed and in a conservation area does restrict what you can do to it a little more. For example, if you want to change the windows you have pretty much got no chance of getting permission for UPVC framed modern windows. It would have to be traditional timber ones and they cost a lot more. Window replacment tends to be the biggest problem but generally listed buildings in a conservation area are not too bad provided you don't want to radically change them.

Let me know if you need anymore advice
Old 12 January 2004, 01:42 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks.

Checked out the windows - as I thought that might be an issue - they look OK for now !

The entire property has recently been upgraded - new kitchen/bathroom etc.... So hopefully I won't need to do anything to it for a while.

Thanks for your help,

Wendy
Old 12 January 2004, 01:46 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

The entire property has recently been upgraded - new kitchen/bathroom etc.... So hopefully I won't need to do anything to it for a while
Make sure you check that permission was given for alterations. I had a house with a garage once and the Garage didn't have planning permission - Useless knobber of a Solicitor din't check - You have to do everything yourself [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Jase
Old 12 January 2004, 01:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Agreed, its unlikely the fitment of a new kitchen would require listed building consent but get your solicitor to check with theirs that some attempt was made to confirm this to be the case.
Old 12 January 2004, 01:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you give me the property address I can check the planning history of it for you
Old 12 January 2004, 01:53 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Given your building is C(s) listed should you wish to make internal alterations to it, i.e. take out a traditional fire place or cornicing or put holes in walls then it will potentially require a listed building consent application
its unlikely the fitment of a new kitchen would require listed building consent
Make your mind up
Old 12 January 2004, 02:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I said 'potentially' The aim of the game is to asess whether any of the internal features of the building contribute to its historic or architectural character and then to assess if the proposed works material affect those features. Putting a hole in a non-original partition wall is of no interest but taking down a wall to open up two rooms (thus radically changing the proportionality) and removing the original cornicing likely would. In a c(s) listed building I'd be surprised if a kitchen was here nor there.

BTW, someone once phoned us up and asked if she needed planning permission to put her TV in a new position within the room
Old 12 January 2004, 02:19 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

YHM

I'd be grateful if you could have a look at the planning issues as the kitchen and bathroom have been moved in the last 18 months.

Thanks.