Notices

How do you react to tailgaiters??

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2003, 09:23 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm selling my WRX so i was driving a Micra today to keep my car in its immaculate state - lol a lot.

I was passing a school and i thought i better reduce to 30. The boy behind me almost touched my bumper. So i slowed down to 20 he got closer so i went to 10. I wasnt in a hurry so couldnt have given a s**t. At the next set of traffic lights he pulled up beside me swearing his head off and proceeded to try and spit at me.

All i can say is that if ide owned a Landrover i would have braked as hard as i could and let him drive into the back of me.

AAAhhh thats better

Do Tailgaiters ever **** you off?
Old 25 June 2003, 10:21 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

i tend to eigther dab the breaks or pull the hand break on gently which usually scares them. sometimes i just put the fog light on which realy annoys them!!
Old 25 June 2003, 11:00 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Angry

I try to avoid the temptation of getting out & ripping their fookin head off and stuffing it up their exhaust

However, I just keep an eye on the road in front of me. If they hit me, then they pay for the damage

Death to all tailgaters! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 June 2003, 11:01 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kicking up some dust/gravel from the sides of the road or washing your windscreen (and his ) tends to get the point across i find.
Old 25 June 2003, 11:16 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Carl, if you use the headlamp washers, they only wash the person behinds window

It's a shame I don't have them on the focus though
Old 25 June 2003, 11:39 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Talking

lmao

I lost the headlamp washers when i swapped bumpers unfortunately, have been loathe to press the button since then as i cunningly forgot to plug the pipe...
Old 26 June 2003, 12:40 AM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Absolutely hate tailgaiters and I get loads in the 20mph residential areas around here.

Years ago I experimented with a powerfull flashgun contected to a simple home made switch on the dash. It didn't take long to for my first victim to come along and POW!!! I zapped him. However I nearly **** myself when I saw him swerve all over the place in my rear view mirror. I think that idea was a little extreme.

Have made up different stickers but tailgaiters seem to be half blind so that only encouraged them to drive closer to read my saractic verses.

Usually just slow down more and more but that can induce Road Rage and being on the receiving end of that can be scary.

I have a tow bar on my Scenic and that has claimed a tailgaiting victim. Couldn't believe an Hyundra Lantra could disintigrate so easily

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2003, 06:59 AM
JohnS

It's always best to to aggrevate them. If there are any behind me who are obvisouly in a hurry to get past for whatever reason, I simply pull over or stop at the very earliest opportunity and let them through. The less time they are behind me the better, especially if I have the kids in the car.

I would never attempt to try and do an emergency stop, flash the brakes a few times, or even slow down - it would only make them angrier, and even more likely to cause an accident.

If you let them pass quickly and safely, and "in a good mood", then they are micuh less likely to cause an acident a few miles further along the road behind someone else.

Having said that, I was used the window/headlamp washer trick to good effect in the past , but I then realised that then not only were they tailgaiting me, ut could see less out of the window and were distracted by trying to clean their own windows.

Far safer just to waste 10 seconds of your own time to pull over (stopping if necessary) and let them on through.

John
Old 26 June 2003, 09:06 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Yep, windscreen washers are the norm for me if someones behind me.
Or, as most of you say, slow down.

But, normally i've got the dog in the back of the wagon..so i'm gonna train her to sit with her a$$ in full view....yuk. Enough to make anyone pull back !!
Old 26 June 2003, 09:21 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Why dont you just let them past so they can kill someone else? Or alteratively I let them past then do it to them for a while till I get bored, then overtake and disappear (if it aint a 30 or 40 zone).

Insights road rage sometimes, but if the Police dont seem to be cracking down on bad driving practice, then someone has to (within reason off course).
Old 26 June 2003, 09:24 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sparkster

I find that by carrying a large hod of bricks in the passenger footwell then opening the sunroof and throwing one straight up out of it prior to a blip of the throttle tends to have the desired effect on those pesky tailgaters
Old 26 June 2003, 09:27 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Or even a max power flamer kit would sort them out !
Old 26 June 2003, 10:15 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Or even a max power flamer kit would sort them out !
Combination of bricks and flames would sort the *******
Old 26 June 2003, 10:18 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like a typical street festival in Craigmillar.
Old 26 June 2003, 09:39 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL at Sipie,

If i had done what you said in that Micra i'm driving at the minute and blipped the throttle, Mr Brick would be still on the roof. Guys - our Imprezas are flying machines - drive a 954cc engined car for a week and see what i mean AAAArrgggg i dont want to sell my WRX
Old 26 June 2003, 11:33 PM
alter_ego
Scooby Regular

I get loads in the 20mph residential areas around here.
Hardly surprising, driving at 20 mph in a 30 mph limit.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:07 AM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Depends where your getting tailgaited.

If im just tootling up the A roads and i get people right on my bumper and they refuse to overtake, i usually wait till when we're going round a corner and gently press the brake pedal with my left foot.

This usually has the result in them slamming on the brakes and getting a bit of a fright as the car start understeering a lot!! Usually works a treat and they back miles off.

If its in a 30 i make sure i slow down to 20 and stick to it. Id rather they end up ramming me than kncocking some poor kid over.

Jono
Old 28 June 2003, 12:06 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

If your on national speed limit roads the stray into the gravel at the side as mentioned earlier is a cracker (literally!)