Notices

Wanting a job offshore,need info

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2002, 03:40 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Noticed quite a few people here work offshore,i am an elecrician to trade and was looking for a change.
Been on Hydro power station refurbs for the past few years and am getting pretty bored and always fancied the rigs but dont have the foggiest about where to start.
Any info would be great,
Cheers and merry crimbo!

Colin.
Old 23 December 2002, 04:34 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Colin

Best place to start is getting yourself offshore certified and an offshore medical

Offshore Cert is your RGIT offshore training they are in Altens Aberdeen but there are other centres now one of which is called NUTEC i think

Good Luck

Craig
Old 23 December 2002, 07:36 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

You could put yourself through the survival/medical if you want to make yourself that little bit more marketable but expect to spend around £600 for your troubles. Most companies will put you through this course when they employ you and most don't worry that u have not already got it.

Most jobs are advertised internally so getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. I work for BP and 99% of jobs are only advertised to those already employed or contacted.

If you know anyone in the industry then ask them for a few contact numbers like the HR department so you can send them your CV and therefore get your name on their database.

Companies like woodgroup, amec and other major contractors are pretty good for getting you sorted out. They take on loads of people like yourself and send them offshore(you will need to pay for your own survival course).

What happens in most cases is that you will be working on the same platform for a few years in which time you learn up their systems and become a bit of an expert. When a company job opens up it is normal for the company to employ the contactor as he has the experience and a head start on anybody else (unless they are crap!!).

good luck
Old 23 December 2002, 08:42 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi mate,

i would say get your rgit and medical, then just batter out the cvs, drilling companys need good ets, just keep trying and dont get downhearted, the oil biz is going to pick up next year!!

best of luck, robin.
Old 23 December 2002, 08:48 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Red face

Are you serious about working offshore?? After reading the thread about all the guys away for Christmas and New Year, I would be thinking twice if I was you!!

I always choose a job where I don't work those days

AJ
Old 23 December 2002, 09:42 PM
CHRISFRASER
Scooby Regular

Fit like M8. The above information is all good stuff. You say you are a electrician you should contact KCA Drilling in Aberdeen and see if they are looking for people in your trade as they have quite a turn around in this department. I dont work for KCA but you could also try my firm to see if they are looking for electricians, we do solids control but we usually have a spark or two for the hook up work. The firm is OILTOOLS ( EUROPE ) LTD 01224719200 ask for Derek Richardson. Hope this helps Merry Christmas and a Guid New Year.
Old 23 December 2002, 09:48 PM
ktb50
Scooby Newbie

Go for it Col,

you should try all the drilling contractors for a start,
KCA, Santa Fe etc they all have their own sparkies.

AJ, we might be away for Christmas, but we only work half the year and we get paid S**t loads of money so its not all that bad!!! beats 9-5 any day I'd say.

Having said that we have 105pmh gusts for tomorrow and we already have 1 chopper that didn't fly today...back log already

Kate
Old 23 December 2002, 10:47 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Considering the state of the industry at the moment I'd say your chances are slim to none BUT after the royalties tax is abolished in April, Then the oil people will be screaming for extra people. WAIT UNTIL THEN!!!

Russell
Old 23 December 2002, 11:20 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

wooosh
which platform are you on? I work for BP onshore upstream as a mech tech and will be looking for a move offshore pretty soon.

glen
Old 24 December 2002, 07:50 AM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

Ah, a clanky eh? I'm an instrument man myself(yes a fairy fitter)

Im in the Forties Field but I wouldn't mind getting out to somewhere a bit newer. This place is falling apart at the seams and it gets worse everyday. I just got a knockback for the azerbaijan positions but I hope to get in there next time around.

Keep your eye on the EJP as there should be quite a lot of jobs coming up shortly due to our rota changing from 2 on 2 off to 2 on 3 off(nice one)plus back logs in work

Here for christmas though, booooooo
Old 24 December 2002, 09:39 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

wooosh
A couple of guys I work with have got a start in Baku, one of them is a 'tiffy, sounds like our place is much like yours, hence I'm going to be looking offshore.

glen
Old 24 December 2002, 10:05 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Try the agencies. Roevin. Strategic resources. Fircroft.
Try www.oiljobs.com.
Get the Aberdeen press and Journal.
Try Kvaerner (a big contractor). Also try PGS Production Services in Aberdeen. And Thistle Techical (an agency).

You need to get your offshore certification sorted out first, and your medical. You might not like being dunked upside down in a helcopter simulator in a swimming pool in the drark etc.

The offshore life is not for everyone, and it has it drawbacks (like when your family are ill and you are stuck offshore, like when your fogged in).

Si

Old 24 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Col

This site has several vacancies for electrical types, worth a look
http://www.oilandgasjobsearch.com/Ca...go.x=18&go.y=3

But as others have said, offshore is not for everyone !

Good luck.
Old 24 December 2002, 10:20 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Woosh, where are you in the forties, im on the Alpha, whats your name?
Old 24 December 2002, 10:48 AM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

i canna tell you that. You might me the OIM !!!!

Wots yours or whats your trade? Are you a designate by any chance?

[Edited by wooosh - 12/24/2002 10:52:07 AM]
Old 24 December 2002, 11:07 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

"AJ, we might be away for Christmas, but we only work half the year and we get paid S**t loads of money so its not all that bad!!! beats 9-5 any day I'd say"

Yes Kate but 12 hour shift x 7 days x 2 weeks on = 42 hrs a week and no holidays! Not that great me thinks, I have a mate who is active with OILC and they are looking at European Working Time Directive just now and according to the employers they already comply as the average hours work out as 42 per week, but that is over 52 weeks so they are trying to persue holidays as a result,
Old 24 December 2002, 01:13 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Woosh, I'm on the Alpha as a proddie / AA, name is Rab Sutherland, I was a dessignate till a year or so ago, theres also a guy on here from the Bravo called fonzy. Where abouts are you?
Old 24 December 2002, 02:21 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

Im also on the Bravo. If Chris Norrie is there then ask him. He will know who I am. I sussed out who you were from the rota info for Alpha.
Wot you drive?

KS
Old 24 December 2002, 02:39 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

5 door turbo, at home at the moment out on saturday.
Old 24 December 2002, 02:47 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

unlucky about coming out on Saturday. They have just cancelled all flights for today so there will be a couple of happy chappies on the beach.
Old 24 December 2002, 04:25 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

wooosh/ rab
Is your OIM Ian Ham, used to be my IM but i believe he's now on the forties field

glen
Old 24 December 2002, 04:35 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

He's not on the Bravo. I believe he is the OIM on the Charlie. Apparently he is OK as a IM but I have never met him.
Old 24 December 2002, 05:47 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Worked with ian for a while on the Alpha, he's now on the Delta
Old 21 July 2010, 11:49 PM
stevey293
Scooby Newbie

Im also trying to get off shore Im an Ex Army Radio Operator Ive done the heli dunking course several times in the Army but never got a certificate out of it. whats the best way of starting? ive already pinged my CV out all over but the only feed back Ive had is that they are only after people with experience.

many thanks in advance for any help.

Kinda need the help or the scooby has to go.
Old 22 July 2010, 08:04 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Stevey, It depends what job you want to do offshore.
To be honest when you've got no experience it helps alot if you know someone who's already in the business. Many companies have an employee referral scheme where they will be more likely to hire someone who has been nominated by an existing employee.
You need a valid BOSIET certificate (Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training) which includes the helicopter dunking and an approved medical. Completion of a Greenhand course is sometimes beneficial too, depending what position you are applying for.
These courses will cost thousands to do so you have to weigh up the advantages of paying for the courses yourself or finding a job and getting the company to pay for them. To be honest things have been a bit quiet over the last few years in many sectors so you could be in for a long wait.
I know this is probably not what you want to hear but things are staring to pick up again so hang in there and something will come up eventually.