Notices

British Motor Show from ABZ

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 06:25 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jools

I might be interested. Doesn't look like I'll be working!

Could you pick me up at the Forth Bridge?

Mark

[Edited by Dark - 10/2/2002 6:26:18 PM]
Old 02 October 2002, 01:22 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Rob D and I are heading for the British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham. At this time we are planning to travel down on Thursday 24th October, overnight in a Travel Lodge (or similar) and spend all day Friday at the show before heading back North on the Friday night.

If anyone else would like to come along with us from the Aberdeenshire area, Rob & I would happily take both our Sti7’s. Tickets for the show are £12 head (but will increase to £15 nearer the time). Parking, at £8 per car, and petrol costs would be shared. I would expect that we would get a bed & breakfast for £40ish, which I would book in advance.
I will book, and in the first instance, pay for all the tickets required to gain enrty to the show. All you would have to do is be available and bring some dosh with you. I would estimate that if we have 4 people in each car then we would be £80 to £100 per head all in for this little trip. This is based on using 4 tanks of fuel, which is conservative. Planned route would take us Glasgow, Carlisle, etc. We would prefer to go to the show on the Friday, leaving Aberdeen mid afternoon on the Thursday, but would move our plans to the Saturday show, if people couldn’t get the Friday off work.
I guess if there is enough demand, then we would find others who would take their cars down the road as well. We could also hook up with any other cars on the road as we head south as well...if Willie F and co fancy making it a blue Sti convoy???

Details can be found at; http://www.motorshow.co.uk/

Jools & Rob.
Old 02 October 2002, 02:07 PM
JohnS

Smile

Potentially interested.

Got a possible problem with one of the dates (it's my birthday!), and plans may have already been made.

I'll make some enquiries and let you know.

I might also be cheaper to fly down on a cheap flight, as the airport is right next to the NECC, which means no parking worries or costs. I'll check this out.

John
Old 02 October 2002, 02:13 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,

Didn’t know that you could fly direct from ABZ. Could well be interested in that option myself, and I’m sure Rob would be too. Guess I’ll see if anyone else is interested in going down, before we make any definite plans either way.

Jools
Old 02 October 2002, 03:36 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

Jools,

British Airways fly from Aberdeen to Birmingham. It's short in terms of miles, so handy if you have some airmiles to use up.

However, they aren't the cheapest of flights.

Options are:

Depart ABZ 08:30 Friday 25th, arrive 10am (just as show opens)

Return: 13:30 Friday (just enough time to see most things) £125
Return: 17:00 Friday (more than enough time) £185 !!
Return: 8am Saturday (only flight) £140

The last option would mean an overnight stay, curry (or something else, lots of beers), and an early morning taxi , more than wiping out the savings on the 5pm flight.

However, it's still more expensive than driving, but none of the hassle, and gives you an extra day either side which would be wasted by driving there and back (on boring and congested roads near Birmingham).

Another option would be to leave ABZ at 4am Friday morning, arrive at Birmingham about 10, and then return Friday evening again getting home about midnight. With shared driving it wouldn't be so bad, and would the cheapest option as well. Could stop off somewhere north of Birmingham for tea on the way back.

If driving, then we could possibly pick up/drop off people around the Glasgow area as well who were interested.

John
Old 02 October 2002, 04:01 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

50/50 for me. I fly KLM and have 200,000 air miles to burn, but no good for BA…and I’m fed up of airports and flying, although it is the hassle free way for sure. If you can manage the Friday I would be happy to take my car for starters and go for the one-day round trip with yourself, Rob and I to begin with.

I’ll give it till Friday lunch time to see what the response is from the local gang and any of the lads further south and take it from there.

Jools
Old 02 October 2002, 04:05 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

Will you post this info out to the Tour Decosse and Lotus boys on my behalf.

Thanks,
Jools.
Old 02 October 2002, 06:36 PM
SG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jools,
If you dont mind I could come along if you are doing the all day friday thingy as John mentioned (Early morn drive down and late back). I can not make Thursday due a Safety Conference in Edinburgh. Sounds like it will be a good day out.

Cheers

Shaun. G.
Old 02 October 2002, 09:33 PM
KAZ
Scooby Regular

Book 2 places for Toby and I and maybe SG could leave his car at a SIDC member's house if needed
Old 03 October 2002, 07:18 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark,
I’m sure we could easily come in by the Forth Road Bridge, then cut across and pick up the West Coast route South. Don’t like the sound of the not working bit...

Shaun,
The day trip is not looking like the best option IMHO. Leaving ABZ at 04.00, means us being up at 3ish and on the go by 03:30 heading in towards Rob & co. Depending on the traffic before and at the NEC it could be nearly lunch time before we get into the place. Looking at the drive home and getting away from the NEC, stopping to eat and all that, it could well turn out to be nearly a 24 hr round trip, with only half a nights sleep at the start...If we go on the Thursday we could pick you up at Edinburgh along with Mark and you could consider leaving your car at his place.

Kaz,
2 seats booked as requested.

Status this morning
Confirmed, Rob, Jools & Kaz.
Provisionally booked; John S, Mark L, Toby & Shaun G

Need confirmation by early afternoon tomorrow.
Old 03 October 2002, 09:54 AM
SG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jools,
I am not taking the car to Edinburgh. Traveling down on the train on Tuesday morning with bags, golf clubs etc. The Hotel we have been booked into does not have secure parking. So if you are all going on Thursday I best give it a miss as I am not sure what time this safety thingy ends. Dont want to be hanging round Edinburgh all day.

Cheers

Shaun G
Old 03 October 2002, 10:39 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Jools

Okay, put my name down. From Edinburgh it's a great run down the A701 to the M6 at Moffat, should put a smile on your face!

Shaun

I stay near South Queensferry and have plenty of safe parking. If you want to leave the car with me for a few days it wouldn't be a problem. I could give you a lift into Edinburgh or worst case it's about £15 in a taxi.

Regards, Mark
Old 03 October 2002, 11:02 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Jools

We'd need to book a hotel soon.

Everywhere around the NEC gets very busy during shows.

Saying that the Holiday Inn Express at Birmingham airport (5mins away) has single & twin rooms from £60.

www.hiexpress.co.uk

Mark
Old 03 October 2002, 12:02 PM
JohnS

Unhappy

Looking very unlikely that I could make it now
Old 03 October 2002, 09:30 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Jools

Due to work I'm going to have to give this a miss. I'll catch up with you when you get home.

Alasdair
Old 04 October 2002, 09:42 AM
SG
Scooby Regular

Question

Jools,
approx what time would you be leaving on the Thursday?

Shaun
Old 04 October 2002, 09:46 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

SG,

Early to mid afternoon from Inverurie.

Jools
Old 04 October 2002, 10:00 PM
KAZ
Scooby Regular

Not too early please working wed night
Old 06 October 2002, 01:41 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Smile

FAO; Rob, Brian & Mark.

4 tickets and 2 show guides (not women I may add) for the British Motor show are bought and paid for and will be sent to my home address with the next week or two. Total of £57 (£14.25 each)

I have reserved rooms at the following hotel and this will be £37.50 each for B&B. The hotel is located on the M6, 9 miles North of the NEC.
http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/EX/hd/bhxcb?irs=y

Jools
Old 06 October 2002, 02:32 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jools,

Noted mate
If there is only us 4 and you haven't had your car sorted with you know what, then I'm quite happy taking my car with sat nav, you can then see if you like that as well

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 06 October 2002, 02:39 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rob,
No probs & sounds good to me. Just leaving the office and will depart Copenhagen first thing tomorrow for a seminar in Norwich. Will be home to Abz tea time Tuesday night and away again Thursday.

Jools
Old 07 October 2002, 09:10 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Jools, Rob,

Excellent - look forward to seeing you then.

Regards, Mark
Old 16 October 2002, 06:34 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just got home and our tickets have arrived.
Jools
Old 16 October 2002, 09:03 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jools,

How the ppp?

Rob.
Old 16 October 2002, 09:25 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rob,

Very very fine my friend. Does not feel like it has the kick in the back that you have, as they have smoothed the delivery out and it is more progressive, but it is fast. Gears come fast and furious and it revs so freely. Too many boxes in the system for my liking, with the first mid section having a small box now, the original second mid section with a bigger box is retained (or should I say re-fitted) and then the Prodrive BB. Finish on the BB is first class and it looks damn fine with the nice round pipe.

I always thought that my rear Magnex was one system, i.e. BB and second mid section all in one, but this is not the case. So, I have a straight through first mid section and a straight through second mid section to play with...Guess what I will be doing tomorrow.

Right now, the car is like yours, but probably quieter with the additional boxes, but it does sound good as you put the boot to it. Was out the back with Brian at the wheel on our Subaru test track…you know the one! The wheels look fabulous and set the car off with a terrific stance, just need to sit it down a tad and we will be fine. Will try and get picture off to you tomorrow.

Catch you later, hurry home!
Jools

Old 18 October 2002, 10:56 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to the Motorshow now!

Can we take both STI's?

What time will you be leaving Aberdeen on Thursday?

Mark