Notices

Why no SIDC at Glamis ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2002, 08:18 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just been to the "vintage" rally at Glamis and a lot of car clubs (Rs owners + lotus to name two) had a place at the entrance to the show as a clasics of the future kind of deal. I just wondered if the SIDC had ever done the show or considered it.

Yes I know there were also steam engines

looking round the show I couldn't help think the old man in the flat cap talking about his Lotus Elan would be me in 30 years
Old 14 July 2002, 08:48 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

We have been at similar events such as the Golden Wheels exhibition in Aberdeen, I guess we weren't represented as either no-one knew about it or that no-one felt strongly enough to do anything about it. Certainly I wasn't aware that it was on, and indeed, with the SIDC when there is an event don't wait about for JohnS or any of the other Scottish co-ordinators to suggest antyhing. Suggest it yourself and certainly the club will provide assistance and people will want to help (we all love showing off our cars ).

Certainly I think an SIDC presence at events like this is very good, and indeed I have helped with previous events and will help in the future. <Goes off and marks entry in diary>
Old 14 July 2002, 10:57 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Miles, 1st of all thanks for those wheels, hope to get use of them soon.

On this topic. The SIDC does organise events and attends certain non-Subaru events, the problem with SIDC participation is that not everyone wants to take part in everything. Your other logical explanation is none of the Regional Organisers knew anything about this event. The R.O's are planning to meet 3-4 times a year to discuss future possibilities for different events and these events would be documented on forums and within True Grip. Speaking as one of these R.O's, I've found that its normally the same core of people who attend these events. The 2003 Glamis event will be brought up at the next meeting and I'll make sure we contact the organiser of the Glamis event for more info.

Being a member of SIDC, the club relies on its members participation as well as the volunteers put in place to attempt to get regional members to come along and take part in events nearby. You will only get something out of what you yourself are willing to put into these types of clubs. Regional Organisers details are printed in each edition of True Grip and any member can lift the phone or e-mail these guy's to be informed of possible suggestions. It could well be that the Glamis event wasn't well advertised, or no member had thought to suggest SIDC attendance. I'm not making excuses but the people that attempt to organise events don't have crystal *****. We all have jobs that take priority over leisure time activities so we rely on communication. I hope this gives you an idea as to no appearance. Maybe next year
Old 15 July 2002, 09:36 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys,

As a new member of the SIDC the range of shows and events that are attended are unknown to me. I now know that I have the ability to let people know of such events if I think they would be a good idea. To be fare the Glamis event advertisment was poor and I only knew about it by word of mouth, still one to keep in mind for the future.

Craig.
Old 15 July 2002, 10:10 AM
JohnS

Cool

The main reason that we weren't there, is that I can't remember getting an invite for the club to attend.

We do quite quite a few invites to these sort of events throughout the summer, and I do my best to advertise them, where we think there will be sufficient interest from the members to attend.

However, as is always the case, it's trying to find the time/people to do all the arranging, and trying to weigh up which events would be best to attend. We can't attend them all, as there is something on virtually every weekend (Sat and Sun) throughout the summer, and many clash with events which we organise ourselves.

The case here being that we have just completed an event at Knockhill (end June), got another one next weekend, I've just returned from a week's holiday - and a few of the other local regulars who help out were mostly unavailable (Miles - Nigeria, Ken training courses, Rob - offshore, Jools offshore etc). We also have Kames on the 27th/28th July to get sorted out, plus other events in August and September.

I think (from memory) our next non-self-organised event will be at Alford on the 4th August (Capri Club).

Cheers

John