ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

335bhp to 345/350bhp?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2014, 04:00 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335bhp to 345/350bhp?

03 sti tsl 333 remap, would a remap by jgm or duncan/dynamix give me an extra 10/15 bhp or would I need 3 port solenoid and or caik? Thanks.
Old 06 March 2014, 04:09 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

All another mapper can do to increase your power is fiddle the timing, fuel, boost etc differently and try. To be honest, if you put your car on a different rolling road it may read more.

For the sake of 10bhp is it really worth all the hastle? Will you notice the difference on the road?
Old 06 March 2014, 04:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above, what's the point?

you may end up with a more powerful, but less "driveable" car
Old 06 March 2014, 04:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madey
03 sti tsl 333 remap, would a remap by jgm or duncan/dynamix give me an extra 10/15 bhp or would I need 3 port solenoid and or caik? Thanks.
You'd need a full decat.
But then you'd be in trouble come MOT time.
Old 06 March 2014, 04:34 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

That settles that then!
Old 06 March 2014, 04:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I have a VF48, sports cat, full exhaust, K&N filter, 3 port etc on mine and still only made 334bhp.

Just live with it and enjoy it! No point spending much more money unless you are aiming much higher from where you are now in my opinion!
Old 06 March 2014, 04:43 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

A set of ported Harvey headers and up pipe, decat down pipe and a meth mix map will get you a awesome driving 350+bhp car.

You could also get the turbo ported aswell.

Last edited by L.J.F; 06 March 2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06 March 2014, 05:12 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

go for 400 or no point spending the money imo
Old 06 March 2014, 06:29 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

Bhp is just pub talk and bragging rights anyway if you enjoy how it drives and how it feels on the road just leave it chances are you won't be able to feel a massive difference from a extra 10bhp anyway
Old 08 March 2014, 02:06 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys.
Old 08 March 2014, 10:40 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Default Yep....

Perrin inlet with CAIK should take it to 350 and free it a little at the top end Decent three port (Grimmspeed or similar) and recirc Forge BOV should sharpen the boost up / may get a few more lbs.
if IRC the TSL 333 map gives great midrange and sensible boost. A remap from a good mapper would squeeze a little more.

Go for it.

Then when your bored - get a SC billet turbo to finish it off

Old 09 March 2014, 10:05 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apostle
Perrin inlet with CAIK should take it to 350 and free it a little at the top end Decent three port (Grimmspeed or similar) and recirc Forge BOV should sharpen the boost up / may get a few more lbs.
if IRC the TSL 333 map gives great midrange and sensible boost. A remap from a good mapper would squeeze a little more.

Go for it.

Then when your bored - get a SC billet turbo to finish it off
Not wishing to be difficult but don't 100% agree with some of the comments. There is certainly no benefit to be had swapping the standard dump valve for an alternative forge recirculating unit, will not sharpen boost or add power or torque in any way.

Also, the standard Subaru air intake system in very good and you don't need to go to CAI to achieve 350bhp. Secondly, an uprated panel filter has been proved as a very good upgrade path for 350bhp.

A 3 port solenoid is also not essential for this power level.

Sorry, not wishing to be difficult.
Old 09 March 2014, 05:39 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Does a aftermarket turbo inlet pipe such as Perrin make a difference on a sti? I know it does on a mazda mps.
Old 09 March 2014, 07:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not afaik.

Maybe look at a trick up-pipe, like the Harvey one now sold by AS Performance?

Boost comes in lower and more of it.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:06 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yep

Does a aftermarket turbo inlet pipe such as Perrin make a difference on a sti? I know it does on a mazda mps.
Very much so.... Esp with CAIK

Just look at them together....
Old 09 March 2014, 10:30 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Cool Well....

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Not wishing to be difficult but don't 100% agree with some of the comments. There is certainly no benefit to be had swapping the standard dump valve for an alternative forge recirculating unit, will not sharpen boost or add power or torque in any way.

Also, the standard Subaru air intake system in very good and you don't need to go to CAI to achieve 350bhp. Secondly, an uprated panel filter has been proved as a very good upgrade path for 350bhp.

A 3 port solenoid is also not essential for this power level.

Sorry, not wishing to be difficult.
It's all about how it drives...

I believe it was the Subaru guru John Felstead (of SN Hall of Fame) who discovered that a good metal recirc BOV like the Forge gave him another 20+lbs on his current nigh on 500bhp Sti. His reckoning 'ish was that at higher boost pressure the plastic one can leak a little ... his did. It sharpened it all up - a vastly superior part.

As for the three port- the Grimmspeed uses a Manley valve ( only them and one other manufacturer I believe use this design - could be TurboXS) thus creating sharper response etc. Better holding/ control of boost

That was my experience.

I've tried to mod my car from listening to the truly established experts such as Andy F, John Felstead, John Banks, Alan & Martyn Jeffries, Harvey Smith plus some others on here.

Not all 'upgrade components' upgrade performance I agree.

If Brown Pants hasn't found these little changes helpful that's okay. It's a free world man....

I've found that every little helps. Talk to a race team. .
I wanted response, driveability, increased power band ( Harvey up-pipe definitely good with headers).

I now run a safe 452/454 @1.6bar on a Grimmspeed top mount - it's very responsive - boosts at 2900 full whack by 3500. Creates power all the way to 6000 where we slowly ease it off.

Of course you can squeeze more but tbh I don't think it'd be that noticeable and not really worth the extra stresses on the 2.5 lump.

Back to the OP... If it's only headline figures you want then fair play, but if driveability is top dog, then have a little think

A

Last edited by Apostle; 09 March 2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Sepllign
Old 09 March 2014, 10:47 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Some good info here about the CAIK. Some good varied opinions

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...a-warning.html

Each to their own. I'd say the recommendations for a 350bhp car and a 500bhp car will vary somewhat. I'd only suggest you don't need to overspend on lots of unnecessary bits for 350bhp.

Cheers.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:55 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

P.s. you are completely right about a 3 port helping to control boost better. I have one on my 334bhp car, although it wasn't an essential mod to achieve that figure.

I also understand what you say about dump valves and sure the standard unit has it's limits too, but those limits are beyond the ops target. Personally I have an HKS ssqv fitted to mine which are not everyone's cup of tea. They are the only dump valve designed to be held shut by it's own boost pressure.

Andy.
Old 10 March 2014, 02:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

One of the problems about tuning is called "The Law of Diminishing Returns".

It's the same with most things.....in my early days, I used to spend a lot of time and money trying to make my Hi-Fi sound better.
Some of the stuff we did, looked like snake oil, but it had some effect. Using a thin layer of Blu-Tack to bond the pickup cartridge to the arm was one. Cost nowt, but deepened the bass and freed the top-end. (this was in the days when vinyl ruled, guys, bear with me, OK) Even turning a ridged turntable platter mat over so that the LP rested on a solid side, seemed to have an effect.

Other things had more effect, but started to cost good money. Speaker cables were a case in point: change from the old bell-wire that used to come with most speakers, or be sold as speaker wire, and you'd hear a noticeable difference when you changed to QED 89 strand at £0.90 per metre. Change up to something like QED silver and you might hear the difference, but now you are paying £4 a metre. Change again to QED Silver Genesis spiral bi-wire at £80 per metre and most folk, using most stereos, won't hear the difference. Some may even think it's worse. Yet it costs 20x more!

So it is with car tuning. Spend a few £££, do a few simple things, you'll feel the difference.

But with most people driving most Scoobs, lots of stuff you do is a case of, "What has it done? Anything?"

Now I'm not saying, therefore, that you shouldn't do it, if it's what you want. Just don't expect amazing results from everything...and watch those £££, they soon become ££££££.
Old 10 March 2014, 03:20 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Well said Alcazar. There is a moral to the end of that long story!

That's precisely why I wouldn't bother spending any more money to achieve an increase from 335bhp to 350bhp. It will start to get very expensive and you may not be able to quantify the improvement against the spending.
Old 10 March 2014, 04:05 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seeing as TSL havent been trading for a while just selling off old stock it might be an idea to find out what power you actually have now and perhaps have a health check as you may find that the cars actually not 333bhp at all and could be in need for a safety tweak.

Engines wear, mods get altered on the car, fuel pumps flow less etc.. I would assume the 333 was added some time back now?

Simon
Old 10 March 2014, 04:07 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
All another mapper can do to increase your power is fiddle the timing, fuel, boost etc differently and try. To be honest, if you put your car on a different rolling road it may read more.

For the sake of 10bhp is it really worth all the hastle? Will you notice the difference on the road?
remapped a car the other week where the gain at peak power was only 7hp from memory but it gained throughout the rev range around 15-20hp and around 25lb.. owner said it transformed it.. and a very noticable difference but on paper looking at peak power it only gain 7hp.

Simon
Old 10 March 2014, 04:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
remapped a car the other week where the gain at peak power was only 7hp from memory but it gained throughout the rev range around 15-20hp and around 25lb.. owner said it transformed it.. and a very noticable difference but on paper looking at peak power it only gain 7hp.

Simon
Nice work! Suppose it all depends how one mapper sets the ECU up compared to another and as you say, at the end of the day it's all about how it actually drives on the road!
Old 10 March 2014, 05:37 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Simon, I've had the car on r/r at Powerstation (tewksbury) last week, 335/314. Yes, your right, the remap by tsl was long before I had the car. Having had two 2.5 sti's before I miss the torque.
Old 10 March 2014, 08:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Simon, I've had the car on r/r at Powerstation (tewksbury) last week, 335/314. Yes, your right, the remap by tsl was long before I had the car. Having had two 2.5 sti's before I miss the torque.
and its a little low on torque also.

heres one I did last month, 340lb. Compare your graph

Simon
Old 13 March 2014, 11:58 AM
madey
Scooby Regular

Yes I think torque is low, which is the nearest r/r you use to Somerset?
Old 13 March 2014, 12:08 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Not really one down that way. Use subaru4you in newbury but a reasonable drive. Perhaps a road map?
Old 13 March 2014, 12:27 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Road maps - they're great fun
Old 13 March 2014, 02:26 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I've only ever had road maps done on my Impreza's as that's where it will be driven
Old 14 March 2014, 01:17 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

I've done road maps with Bob rawle and Duncan/dynamix but I thought I would do on the dyno this time.

Quick Reply: 335bhp to 345/350bhp?