ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake kits .. a warning.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2013, 03:55 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake kits .. a warning.

We've said this before, but far too many of these flippin kits are actually cold and WET. We've got one here now with water dripping out of the MAF..
I'd rather see my air filters in the dry thanks.
Old 21 March 2013, 04:12 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you referring to 'inner wing' air intake kits Alan?
Old 21 March 2013, 04:16 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Yep, the ones that suck water up like those lorries you see trundling about cleaning drains.
Old 21 March 2013, 04:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's not good is it? Has any got into the engine?
Old 21 March 2013, 04:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Always thought those inner wing kits were stupid. Better off with a filter in the bay and a cold air feed tube fed from the bumper.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:32 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Why are they "stupid" as you clearly know more than the rest of us.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:49 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
That's not good is it? Has any got into the engine?
No ill effects, put it that way, other than wet MAF internals. Sorted now.

Of course it could be that we're all peeing in the river, as it's a Monsoon down here right now. Much more rain, and you could stick the filter to the headlining and still have problems!
Old 21 March 2013, 06:30 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Why are they "stupid" as you clearly know more than the rest of us.
Steady up fella, you'll fall off that horse.

For reasons noted above. Would the MAF in the car detailed by the op be full of water if the filter was in the bay?
Do you actually think they lower intake temps or increase power like advertised??
Yes the filter remains cool but the intake pipe still gets piping hot where it runs between the block and manifold.
I watched a video (YouTube iirc) where different filters and air feeds were tested against a standard air box to see if they made a difference to power and temps. Guess what the outcome was?

I see the attraction of these inner wing kits, if nothing else the shiny pipe work looks nice in the bay. But putting your filter down where there is a chance of it getting soaking wet is crazy. If (which I doubt) they do lower temps or increase power over a normal filter setup is it worth it. I'm sure Alan has seen many wet MAFS in his time.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 21 March 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 21 March 2013, 06:34 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats the reason mine will be getting removed when it goes for mapping again, anyone recommend one, im running near 450bhp
Jay
Old 21 March 2013, 06:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Thats the reason mine will be getting removed when it goes for mapping again, anyone recommend one, im running near 450bhp
Jay
They are expensive but many big power cars use the RCM trumpet and cone.
I opted for a huge KandN filter from Opie oils (£50) and made custom pipe work.
Old 21 March 2013, 06:49 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Its amazing how much water and crap get to the filter down in the wheel arch, will have a look at the rcm one cheers
Old 21 March 2013, 07:23 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately there are a good number of tuning parts that are only theoretical.
We tend to go for as big an air filter as possible in the bay.
Old 21 March 2013, 07:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Steady up fella, you'll fall off that horse.

For reasons noted above. Would the MAF in the car detailed by the op be full of water if the filter was in the bay?
Do you actually think they lower intake temps or increase power like advertised??
Yes the filter remains cool but the intake pipe still gets piping hot where it runs between the block and manifold.
I watched a video (YouTube iirc) where different filters and air feeds were tested against a standard air box to see if they made a difference to power and temps. Guess what the outcome was?

I see the attraction of these inner wing kits, if nothing else the shiny pipe work looks nice in the bay. But putting your filter down where there is a chance of it getting soaking wet is crazy. If (which I doubt) they do lower temps or increase power over a normal filter setup is it worth it. I'm sure Alan has seen many wet MAFS in his time.
I'm sorry but if you make an absurd generalised comment like that on a public forum what kind of response did you really expect.

I, like many, have ran inner wing kits with no ill effects. I actually did a fair bit of testing in this area.. like so many have done before me. No way would I stick with any method of inlet if it was "stupid". Neither would the many thousands of people or perhaps more specific, reputable tuners.... on their own cars.

I don't know about you or anybody else, but I don't have a tendancy of driving through 2ft of water to warrant injesting water through my inlet.

If everything post turbo was the real deal, then why does increased ambient temps increase charge temps? The cooler you can get the air prior to the turbo, helps the resultant temps the intercooler has to deal with, thus effecting the charge temps entering the engine.

These kits can work really well, especially when the inner wing box section is retained and a ram air effect via an appropriate inlet hole (from the front of the car) into the inner wing is constructed or kept.

I prefer to make comment on what I have tested personally, rather than what videos I have seen on the internet.
Old 21 March 2013, 07:58 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've kept it simple, joiner pipe and a K & N filter with the same diameter.
Old 21 March 2013, 08:02 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested by all this as its not long ago I was looking at an alternative to my CAI due to my filter having rusted and rotted away to nowt, if I had the time/money I would return to oe air box with updated filter.

I think mine was seeing excess water due to the arch liner being cracked badly infront of the wheel underneath so the spray off the road/puddles was finding its way in.

It's not ideal by any means but I couldn't afford to have the car mapped again after reverting back to the standard air box setup, so I fitted a foam type filter instead of a gauze cone type filter, after all its been running like this for approx 3-4 years lol.

Mick
Old 21 March 2013, 08:04 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GS67
Good to see spam is getting better in here lol
Old 21 March 2013, 08:06 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GS67
I READ THE MORNING STAR BECAUSE I AM A COMMUNIST
Maybe go back to reading it then and stay off posting crap on here, there is enough already.
Old 21 March 2013, 08:08 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

Remember this thread is titled warning not these are pap don't buy them remove them all now or your suck water in from the local canal.

Its more down to respect from the end user and knowing what could happen and how to treat the modification (ie not driving through floods or large puddles etc)

I'm sure these kits are quite effective and I can't see the little bit of pipe suffering heat soak to the level it would effect the results of a caik the speed that air is being sucked into the turbo would not have chance to heat up pre turbo obviously to a level you would notice.

Look after your car and you won't run into issues seen by Alan Jeffrey a wet filter is neglect pure and simple.
Old 21 March 2013, 08:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Unfortunately there are a good number of tuning parts that are only theoretical.
We tend to go for as big an air filter as possible in the bay.
Exactly what I have, as specced by the late, great, Harvey Smith, who told me my original was fit for a lawnmower, LOL
Old 21 March 2013, 08:25 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but if you make an absurd generalised comment like that on a public forum what kind of response did you really expect.

I, like many, have ran inner wing kits with no ill effects. I actually did a fair bit of testing in this area.. like so many have done before me. No way would I stick with any method of inlet if it was "stupid". Neither would the many thousands of people or perhaps more specific, reputable tuners.... on their own cars.

I don't know about you or anybody else, but I don't have a tendancy of driving through 2ft of water to warrant injesting water through my inlet.

If everything post turbo was the real deal, then why does increased ambient temps increase charge temps? The cooler you can get the air prior to the turbo, helps the resultant temps the intercooler has to deal with, thus effecting the charge temps entering the engine.

These kits can work really well, especially when the inner wing box section is retained and a ram air effect via an appropriate inlet hole (from the front of the car) into the inner wing is constructed or kept.

I prefer to make comment on what I have tested personally, rather than what videos I have seen on the internet.

Kinda see your point, but disagree.

Once the car is rolling there's plenty of airflow in the bay, I know this cause I took the time to measure temps at different speeds on warm day. Results were very surprising.

Cold air kit is a waste of time IMHO, the extra work, weight, money, potential water pickup far outweighs any power gain..... If any.

Buy a descent inter cooler if you wanna really lower charge temps
Old 21 March 2013, 08:30 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

In your testing did you compare temps of both a inner wing kit and normal filter in the bay ?
Old 21 March 2013, 08:38 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by alcazar
Exactly what I have, as specced by the late, great, Harvey Smith, who told me my original was fit for a lawnmower, LOL
interesting as i asked harvey about wing mounted airfilters as he supplied me one with a hdi intercooler i bought of him and he said they are fine and dont get dirty if fitted correctly.

i just checked mine after reading this thread and its very clean still but im careful of puddles etc, i must admit i dont like the idea of it at all though.
Old 21 March 2013, 10:43 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy

i just checked mine after reading this thread and its very clean still but im careful of puddles etc, i must admit i dont like the idea of it at all though.

Put a plastic bag over it that will keep the water out

But seriously dont put a plastic bag over it
Old 21 March 2013, 10:45 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Mick
Old 21 March 2013, 10:50 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Shaun old chap, tell me which part of this great country has roads where you can avoid three foot deep water filled potholes? We need lifejackets and schnorkels down here mate..

Apologies for this one, but this is the RCM Gobstopper, and I bet you won't find a CAIK on the new version either.

It's only an opinion, but I personally think the cold air feed thing is pants.
Old 21 March 2013, 11:01 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Once the car is rolling there's plenty of airflow in the bay

I have a monitor for the intake via a GReddy sensor.... with a filter in the wing air intake was 2 degree above ambient... moved the filter to the engine bay and its 10 degree above ambient. So above not true at all....

Anyone with a degree in thermal dynamics can confirm, but the intake temp can only rise proportionately to the max temp the turbo can compress/heat the air to....

Or if the intake is 5 degree the turbo might heat it to 50 degree... if the intake is 15 degree the turbo will heat it to 50 degree, not 65 degree.....

FMIC will always do the job after intake charge and turbo temps heat up the intake etc etc blah blah.....

Last edited by nyscooby; 21 March 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 21 March 2013, 11:19 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

On the legacy, with the size of the fogs, and once the FMIC pipework was in, a wing mounted filter wasnt an option.

I bought the largest k&n that could fit which is nowhere near as big as the rcm cone, but still rated to 550bhp and has easily mapped to 450.

Then stuck a naca duct in the bumper and made up a filter shrowd with a tube on the side for the duct from the bumper naca duct. The duct is routed in a nice big S, so the water doesnt seem to rise as high as the filter and even if it does it wouldnt suffocate the whole filter.

Last track day was monsoon conditions and after i stopped the filter was completely dry, and have driven hard when dry with a hot engine bay and the filter is much colder to the touch than the surrounding engine bay.

I know cutting a duct into the bumper isnt to everyones taste but it works well.

Anything im overlooking or any thoughts?

Could get a few more of these filter shrowds made if theres any demand.

Old 21 March 2013, 11:46 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

A far better bet is to concentrate on keeping under bonnet temps as low as possible. Heat wrapping the exhaust manifold, downpipe, intercooler pipework, fitting a turbo blanket, creating decent air flow etc etc
Old 21 March 2013, 11:50 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nyscooby

I have a monitor for the intake via a GReddy sensor.... with a filter in the wing air intake was 2 degree above ambient... moved the filter to the engine bay and its 10 degree above ambient. So above not true at all....

Anyone with a degree in thermal dynamics can confirm, but the intake temp can only rise proportionately to the max temp the turbo can compress/heat the air to....

Or if the intake is 5 degree the turbo might heat it to 50 degree... if the intake is 15 degree the turbo will heat it to 50 degree, not 65 degree.....

FMIC will always do the job after intake charge and turbo temps heat up the intake etc etc blah blah.....
So in other words the air temp entering the engine was the same or similar using both the inner wing kit or filter in the bay?
Old 22 March 2013, 12:02 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nyscooby

I haven't a degree in thermal dynamics but I do have a thermacouple sensor in the turbo outlet pipe (compressor wheel). My MD321H running 1.6bar consistantly has outlet temps of mid 130's c, at 1.45 bar they run about 10deg c less, regardless it seems of outside temps.
The main contributer to compressorwheel outlet temps is how hard the turbo is working to produce required boost and that must include how easily it can grab the air, not so much the temperature of it.
Trev

Quick Reply: Cold air intake kits .. a warning.