ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Kinugawa Turbo Hype!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2013, 11:10 AM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinugawa Turbo Hype!!

Seeing a lot of ever increasing reviews about the good results and quality of the Kinugawa turbos. Has anyone got some proper RR data to support this in the UK. Seen many print outs in the US and Aus but nothing in the UK so far.

Seems way to good to be true, a TD0520G with Billet conversion done for £550 posted to UK. Seems like a cracking deal for the money but why are they so scarce in the UK then I wonder. Ignoring the fact they are trading on Ebay, they are a subsidery of Kamak so clearly there is no question they not cheap Chinese knock offs. Just wondered why we not seeing more being used.
Old 14 November 2013, 11:57 AM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 14 November 2013, 12:18 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

where do you see a billet one for £550?
Old 14 November 2013, 12:21 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

More ppl using on evo forums. My cousin got a kinugawa td05 20g billet and hes making 430bhp on it!
Old 14 November 2013, 12:26 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

I have just swapped my generic 20G for a Kamak Billet 20G. I think Kamak is the slight more high tech Kinugawa Turbo.
The difference is incredible. Running 1.1 bar feels similar to 1.5 bar on the old turbo.
I am still tuning the New turbo. But currently at 1.45 Bar the car is performing a HUGE amount better.
So far i couldn't recommend the Kamak 20G enough.
This is on a Rebuild forged 2L
Old 14 November 2013, 12:29 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
I have just swapped my generic 20G for a Kamak Billet 20G. I think Kamak is the slight more high tech Kinugawa Turbo.
The difference is incredible. Running 1.1 bar feels similar to 1.5 bar on the old turbo.
I am still tuning the New turbo. But currently at 1.45 Bar the car is performing a HUGE amount better.
What you pushing? Had it dynoed?
Old 14 November 2013, 12:38 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
where do you see a billet one for £550?
They emailed me the spec and charged me an extra £50 to replace for a billet set up.
Old 14 November 2013, 01:43 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
Seen this comment on NASIOC

KAMAK difference vs KINUGAWA is 9-blade light turbine wheel versus 6 on the Kinugawa, billet compressor wheel (Although Kinugawa are now doing Billet for additional cost), billet actuator and better Thrust Bearing, other than that the wheel dimensions are the same on both turbos:
- Turbine Wheel 54.1 / 61mm mm (Inducer / Exducer)
- Compressor Wheel 52.5 mm / 68 mm (Inducer / Exducer)
Old 14 November 2013, 02:22 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Not sure on power, I will try and get a estimate from my log graphs.

It use to say 350whp..... Is much more now from what it was is all I know!

For a street car I think this billet 20G is the perfect turbo for a 2L. I got the 7cm housing and it seems great. With a tomei header I make full boost at about 4200rpm.

I love it anyho!
Old 14 November 2013, 02:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

This thread should helps,please read last post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...awa-turbo.html

Jura
Old 14 November 2013, 03:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for good 20G or 18G speak with John@http://www.braveheartracingdevelopments.com/

Jura
Old 14 November 2013, 03:13 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Wow
Old 14 November 2013, 04:33 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
This thread should helps,please read last post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...awa-turbo.html

Jura
Did you read the full story? So this guy buys a turbo, modifies the use of the turbo, dosent get it remapped and then has an issue with it? Sorry but if I was a manufaturer I wouldnt be best pleased either.

The thread I started was regards the TD05H20G (18G) billet. I have yet to see any comments on any forum where this turbo has had a faliure. In fact most the guys in the US are saying it is nearly as good as the Blouch equivalent. I will reserve judgement until I see a comment on SN or any other reputable source were there has been substantive issues.
Old 14 November 2013, 04:37 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for good 20G or 18G speak with John@http://www.braveheartracingdevelopments.com/

Jura
thanks will check this out .
Old 14 November 2013, 04:56 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Jura

Sent away my old 20G to him today for a full rebuild and billet conversion, it will be up for sale soon with a 6 month warranty as well.
Old 14 November 2013, 04:58 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PrimeKos
Did you read the full story? So this guy buys a turbo, modifies the use of the turbo, dosent get it remapped and then has an issue with it? Sorry but if I was a manufaturer I wouldnt be best pleased either.

The thread I started was regards the TD05H20G (18G) billet. I have yet to see any comments on any forum where this turbo has had a faliure. In fact most the guys in the US are saying it is nearly as good as the Blouch equivalent. I will reserve judgement until I see a comment on SN or any other reputable source were there has been substantive issues.
Don't these turbos have a reputation for not making full power over here? if somethings too cheap to be true it's normally for a reason.

Buy cheap buy twice.
Old 14 November 2013, 05:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Turbo can't fail just due hasn't been mapped,its fault of turbo nothing more and nothing less

If they supplied him wrong size of banjo/oil restrictor what I think this can cause or caused this issue/damage

US guys they praise those turbo agree,but still would go with turbo which is proven over here

Not sure how many guys running here those turbo,but I would suspect not many

You will find not too many mappers or owners of this turbo,but maybe I can be wrong

I would go with turbo which is proven and not with junk from eBay,I've learn hard way on few things from eBay

Jura
Old 14 November 2013, 05:04 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Sent away my old 20G to him today for a full rebuild and billet conversion, it will be up for sale soon with a 6 month warranty as well.
How much you want for it?
Old 14 November 2013, 05:06 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Turbo can't fail just due hasn't been mapped,its fault of turbo nothing more and nothing less

If they supplied him wrong size of banjo/oil restrictor what I think this can cause or caused this issue/damage

US guys they praise those turbo agree,but still would go with turbo which is proven over here

Not sure how many guys running here those turbo,but I would suspect not many

You will find not too many mappers or owners of this turbo,but maybe I can be wrong

I would go with turbo which is proven and not with junk from eBay,I've learn hard way on few things from eBay

Jura
Well this is the problem, how can they be proven in the UK if nobody is willing to take a punt. In my experience the Internet is a master of resource to find fault in products. Even the best, yet nothing substantial has been reported on them yet. I know there are guys in the UK using them so wish we could get some dyno graphs up
Old 14 November 2013, 05:07 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Don't these turbos have a reputation for not making full power over here? if somethings too cheap to be true it's normally for a reason.

Buy cheap buy twice.
Well £550 is not that cheap, I think the ones making **** power are those Chinese knock offs on eBay. This is not one of them as mention above
Old 14 November 2013, 05:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well i'll be rebuilding and modifying a TD04 using their parts after xmas so we will see how it performs.

Personally I think turbo's are a rip off, how the hell some companies justify £1500 for a turbo i'll never know, especially when you can buy all the parts for considerably less, and it's not just a couple of hundred less, it's a grand and more in some instances, and there is **** all to them either.
Old 14 November 2013, 06:01 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well i'll be rebuilding and modifying a TD04 using their parts after xmas so we will see how it performs.

Personally I think turbo's are a rip off, how the hell some companies justify £1500 for a turbo i'll never know, especially when you can buy all the parts for considerably less, and it's not just a couple of hundred less, it's a grand and more in some instances, and there is **** all to them either.
Old 14 November 2013, 06:29 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I'm not pulling you're idea to bits but don't the gubbins need to be balanced old chap ? and what's the costing of this doing ?
Old 14 November 2013, 06:50 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Exactly mate and this is my frustration as well, why pay over £1K for a turbo when you have companies out there making good turbos with good quality parts for half the price. I don't believe for a second these TD05H's built in the UK are casted and hand built using parts from the UK. I bet my bottom dollar most parts are from Taiwan or Japan and then assembled in the UK for a premium. This is of course just my opinion before everyone starts to shoot me down.

However with that said, I don't understand why people pay the money they do for the UK versions. Its not just about the quality of the product but also the recourse in the event something goes wrong. Sure it would be much easier dealing with Joe Bloggs in the UK as opposed to someone from Japan.

I am looking at a possible Harvey Smith 20G that is for sale, but really tempted to take a punt at this Kinugawa Billet 20G
Old 14 November 2013, 07:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
I'm not pulling you're idea to bits but don't the gubbins need to be balanced old chap ? and what's the costing of this doing ?
They all say that they are balanced and ready to go, but balancing costs £50, so I may well do that just to be on the safe side for the sake of fifty quid.
Old 14 November 2013, 07:34 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Rip off are not prices,but rebuild of them its sometimes just rip off

£1500 per turbo,development is not cheap and cost money

I would start with something like is GT3071/76 based standard location turbo,CHRA alone cost £700,Billet wheel £250,exhaust housing etc and balancing plus other cost and you will easy end with the price close to the yours price

Most of the SC or MD/LM and many other turbo are based on the Garrett GT3071 or GT3076 CHRA which are not cheap,friend paid for rebuild of his CHRA just £700(in USA you can buy CHRA for this money)

TD05 CHRA are cheaper to buy(cheapest is Kinugawa and few other Taiwan/Chinese companies),parts there cost less than for Garrett Dual Ball bearing turbo

When you spend £5000 per engine,would you risk using cheap 20G on yours car or even would you use on your race engine 30R/35R from eBay,I doubt you will

Friend few months back has bought Big 16G from eBay for his EVO,this turbo lasted on his engine 6 weeks

Jura
Old 14 November 2013, 07:38 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

They all say that they are balanced and ready to go, but balancing costs £50, so I may well do that just to be on the safe side for the sake of fifty quid.
Good point lad, I know which way I will be going in future

Hands dirty
Old 14 November 2013, 07:54 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

I would start with something like is GT3071/76 based standard location turbo,CHRA alone cost £700,Billet wheel £250,exhaust housing etc and balancing plus other cost and you will easy end with the price close to the yours price

Most of the SC or MD/LM and many other turbo are based on the Garrett GT3071 or GT3076 CHRA which are not cheap,friend paid for rebuild of his CHRA just £700(in USA you can buy CHRA for this money)

TD05 CHRA are cheaper to buy(cheapest is Kinugawa and few other Taiwan/Chinese companies),parts there cost less than for Garrett Dual Ball bearing turbo

When you spend £5000 per engine,would you risk using cheap 20G on yours car or even would you use on your race engine 30R/35R from eBay,I doubt you will

Friend few months back has bought Big 16G from eBay for his EVO,this turbo lasted on his engine 6 weeks

Jura
I must of misread what Kinugawa wrote as I am sure they mentioned A/R is Garrett spec and Nozzle housing and insert is Mitsubishi.

I do know they use journal bearings though but the thrust bearing kit is made by Kamak.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I must of misread what Kinugawa wrote as I am sure they mentioned A/R is Garrett spec and Nozzle housing and insert is Mitsubishi.

I do know they use journal bearings though but the thrust bearing kit is made by Kamak.
A/R is turbo housing,Nozzle and insert(they probably mean CHRA)

Journal/Thrust bearing turbo have slower spool as Ball Bearing turbo,reliability not sure,some older TD are very tough and are lot stronger than older ball bearing VF

This should help

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._ball_bearings

As above please speak with John,I would recommend him,he can build turbo which can suit yours car

Jura
Old 14 November 2013, 08:20 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Jura
I agree with part of what your saying with regards to the bigger power applications, but most of these turbo's have been around for years, even my 1997 izusu trooper runs an incarnation of the Mitsubishi TD04, which is something that has never quite sat right with me, the only thing "new" about many of these turbo's is the billet wheels, which in actual fact are cheaper, easier and supposedly more accessible to the common man with the use of 3D technology, so how exactly does all this translate to turbo's costing more.

Am I missing something or what.

Quick Reply: Kinugawa Turbo Hype!!