ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

VERY Happy Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2013, 11:07 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY Happy Newbie!

Hi all I bought my v plate uk turbo a month ago and since them I have spent hours and hours reading through stuff on here! My classic came with full service history and was in cracking condition! Only mods were: New age wheels fitted, high rise spoiler, sti top mount, Dv, and a 3" cat back system! First thing I did was to get a 3" down pipe! So it was now 3" turbo back with just a back box (surprisingly not that loud)

Anyway after reading on here about an ecutek remap I decided to call a few tuners and in the end decided to go with Martin and Alan Jefferys (engine tuner)in plymouth! I went down there today and he explained I should expect between 250 - 270bhp! First map went in and she pulled 271bhp so I was so happy with that however Martin said he wanted to up the torque to the 300 mark! Martin spent his time fiddling and making alteration to the map to up the torque! Next look at the screen saw 296bhp and just shy off 300 lb/ft! Now I have a td04 and when we started I only expected 270bhp and everywhere on hear I read says maximum 280bhp from this turbo. Martin said I had a very unusually healthy and strong engine and there was still more to come! Last map resulted in 301.7bhp and 312lb/ft! Needless to say I am over the moon with the results and it was worth the 400mile round trip!

So wanted to say a massive thank you on here to Martin Jeffery! Top bloke, very knowledgable, honest and friendly!!! Also thank you to the knowledgable people on here as I have done all my research from here! Turns out td04 can produce 300bhp in some circumstances! My subaru is my daily car so my main thing was reliability and not over straining the engine! wanted it to remain safely tuned and this has been achieved without any excessive strain! I was informed by Martin that the turbo could produce more boost but would result in it being on its limits so I'm in safe realms still! I'll post a few pictures when I work out how

But thank you again, very useful forum

Last edited by Sk8xtrm; 14 October 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 14 October 2013, 11:19 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

1st map

And final results:

And the car itself:

Last edited by Sk8xtrm; 14 October 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 14 October 2013, 11:25 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Nice to hear you have some good results there. Also very nice to hear you are happy with this forum, im sure members on here will be welcoming, cough, cough, cough

Really, glad your happy on this side and i'm sure you will have many more positive thoughts of this forum and its members. Enjoy the 300bhp in the meantime. And if you see any evo drivers just let them know they are in the wrong game and what a bunch of tossers they are

Last edited by adam405sti; 14 October 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 14 October 2013, 11:37 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welsome and congratulations!

Let the modification bug continue on your first Subaru

Rob
Old 15 October 2013, 12:26 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Nice power increase, be interested to hear how you get on running 301bhp
Old 15 October 2013, 12:32 AM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the responses! A new standard clutch was fitted two months ago so I am hoping it will survive the power! Anything really common on these cars or after remap I should keep an eye out for? The trip home was a lot of fun, it was like driving a different car the torque increase is staggering and well worth the money! Prior to this my last car was an accord type r! It was fun and 220bhp but I have come to learn how important torque is, my Honda only had 149lb/ft!
Old 15 October 2013, 12:58 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy days... Its nice when it all comes together isn't it?
Lesson to be learnt, listen to the pros not the keyboard warriors
Old 15 October 2013, 01:21 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sk8xtrm
Hi all I bought my v plate uk turbo a month ago and since them I have spent hours and hours reading through stuff on here! My classic came with full service history and was in cracking condition! Only mods were: New age wheels fitted, high rise spoiler, sti top mount, Dv, and a 3" cat back system! First thing I did was to get a 3" down pipe! So it was now 3" turbo back with just a back box (surprisingly not that loud)

Anyway after reading on here about an ecutek remap I decided to call a few tuners and in the end decided to go with Martin and Alan Jefferys (engine tuner)in plymouth! I went down there today and he explained I should expect between 250 - 270bhp! First map went in and she pulled 271bhp so I was so happy with that however Martin said he wanted to up the torque to the 300 mark! Martin spent his time fiddling and making alteration to the map to up the torque! Next look at the screen saw 296bhp and just shy off 300 lb/ft! Now I have a td04 and when we started I only expected 270bhp and everywhere on hear I read says maximum 280bhp from this turbo. Martin said I had a very unusually healthy and strong engine and there was still more to come! Last map resulted in 301.7bhp and 312lb/ft! Needless to say I am over the moon with the results and it was worth the 400mile round trip!

So wanted to say a massive thank you on here to Martin Jeffery! Top bloke, very knowledgable, honest and friendly!!! Also thank you to the knowledgable people on here as I have done all my research from here! Turns out td04 can produce 300bhp in some circumstances! My subaru is my daily car so my main thing was reliability and not over straining the engine! wanted it to remain safely tuned and this has been achieved without any excessive strain! I was informed by Martin that the turbo could produce more boost but would result in it being on its limits so I'm in safe realms still! I'll post a few pictures when I work out how

But thank you again, very useful forum
VERY nice to hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There'll be a club/meet in your general area.
Get along to it.
Old 15 October 2013, 01:21 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
Happy days... Its nice when it all comes together isn't it?
Lesson to be learnt, listen to the pros not the keyboard warriors
Old 15 October 2013, 11:22 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice results there mate.
Old 15 October 2013, 11:33 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice car and a superb result from a TD04.SJ.
Old 15 October 2013, 12:14 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Great results!

You forgot to mention what it drives like now
Old 15 October 2013, 01:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Excellent news. Bob Rawle mapped my last (now sold) Impreza and it made 284bhp/317lbft on the td04 with a 3" system/Walbro fuel pump and panel filter.

Was very impressed with the drivability afterwards.