Sponsored by:

1998 Turbo 2000 - Intermittent Electrical Fault

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2013, 11:27 PM
Snarlingbadger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Turbo 2000 - Intermittent Electrical Fault

Hey. First post!! I'm thinking of buying a Turbo 2000 as my first Scooby. Budget isn't great but I've found a green estate in great condition. Asking price is £1,650, however I've been told by the owner that there is an intermittent electrical fault which they believe is the mass airflow sensor (car occasionally loses power). And I reckon I'd get the cam belt done too? Is this going to be a huge cost if it is the maf? Just wondering if I should incorporate that in to an offer, and how much I should offer? Or just gamble and get a scoob!? Sorry for goin on! Cheers and peace yo...
Old 24 September 2013, 11:29 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

MAF approx £90,could be the HT leads, does it do it when it's wet more often?
Old 24 September 2013, 11:33 PM
Snarlingbadger
Scooby Newbie

Not sure mate. I'd have to ask. I drove it on dry roads and it drove completely fine. Loved it! Just trying to estimate how much extra I'd have to spend to get it right.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:33 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

check the engine fault codes by plugging in the black connectors under the steering wheel then on the dash youll see the engine check light flashing up. if its the maf itll flash 2 long pulses then 3 short pulses 23 = maf if there are any others look up the fault codes to see what they are.
Old 25 September 2013, 08:10 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

There a a few around for a similar price! Why not buy a known good one? If it is the MAF tell him you will buy it when he fixes it. It might be a quick fix, might give you a head ache. Not sure I would like to gamble on a fault.
Old 25 September 2013, 08:38 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

but when my maf packed up the car wouldnt run at all it would start up then die straight away. but when my knock sensor went (fault code 22) i had the same symptoms as you, hesitation but also power loss midway throught the rev range, so got a genuine subaru one and fixed the problem but both my problems did throw up the fault codes.
Old 25 September 2013, 12:33 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RUDDY
If it is the MAF tell him you will buy it when he fixes it. It might be a quick fix, might give you a head ache. Not sure I would like to gamble on a fault.
To the OP, that is sound advice. If he is half decent, and keen to prove this a worthy sale, he'll correct that for you.

It'll give him an incentive to get it done, plus it won't come out of your pocket. If he doesn't, you move on and find another. It'd all be within your control.

And welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 25 September 2013, 12:54 PM
Scoobydoo Ste
Scooby Regular

May be worth having a look at this one pretty local to you i think... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item46131e5159
Old 25 September 2013, 03:32 PM
Snarlingbadger
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the feedback guys. Fell in love with the car straight away, but need to make sure prob gets fixed first or price dropped enough to cover the work. As the owner is my girlfriend cousin, I know the car has been cared for and not ragged. I checked out the scoob on eBay. £1295. Doesn't look in as good a condition. I know it's only pictures, but better the devil you know!? Should find out what im doing by the end of the week, so, if you care or not I'll let you know how I get on!!