Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible car scam? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2013, 06:39 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible car scam? What do you think?

I spotted a car today to buy and try to make money on, but turned out to be a scam.

Here's what happened

Step one spotted this beauty 2k under priced at 1.30pm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ble/1032154875

I called twice but no answer so I then sent a txt

I then receive a txt back from a different mobile number to the advert at 17.42 saying

"Hey mate, you called me to discuss about the car but I just can answer. Mail me here and i'll answer asap"

coopers@gmbsltd.co.uk

I send a message

"have you still got the car for sale"

Their reply

Hello,

Its still for sale. Immaculate condition, no damages, nothing to worry about. All necessary documents available. 10 months mot with 5 months tax left both keys present. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments, If this is going to be a quick sale I will let it go for £3,590 delivered at my costs. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the Mini Cooper S on eBay Motors for the £3,590 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed delivery without any additional costs for you.
In case you are not familiar with them, please read their Buyer Protection and will see that they cover 100% the transaction done through them up to £50,000. You will receive the Mini Cooper S with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

Evelyn

I send back

"Where about in scotland are you?"

Their reply

Dundee. Due to my location and since view is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program:

- I make the private listing on eBay for you,
- you go and buy it through their website,
- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I deliver the car,
- you receive the car,
- they send me the money,

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the car in good order.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

Evelyn

I send back

"I have the money on me and I will collect the car from Dundee tomorrow, if this is not an option I do not want the car"

Their reply

Sorry for inconvenience but viewing or pick up is not available this is the reason I insisted to do it genuine with eBay. A full refund/return policy is
available.

Thank you

Evelyn

The thing is I live in in the High Peak but I am actually from Dundee and have alot of friends up there who's banks I can put money into this minute and they would go and view the car if one actually exists.

Has anyone else come across this?

Last edited by BillyBrown; 15 September 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 15 September 2013, 06:40 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old as the hills usually at sea or some crap like that
Old 15 September 2013, 07:16 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

eBay America is the only one I think to provide vehicle cover regarding payments definitely not eBay uk! Seen this scam a couple years back when looking for an m3 said he was in the army in Germany
Old 15 September 2013, 07:28 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

The spelling is too good for somebody from Dundee
Old 15 September 2013, 07:30 PM
kiranbaloo
Scooby Regular

Location: Reading,in a 516/460 classic 2.0 wagon quite lively!!

100%scam the link they send you for the eBay ad will not be eBay but a page that looks exactly the same once you send the money it will be gone. I know someone who got caught out by one very similar on gumtree.
Old 15 September 2013, 07:59 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

yea scam

proberly same bloke my mate was e-mailing on auto trader for a t5 that was worth 10k + and wanted a quick sale of 5k lol

Last edited by thunder8; 15 September 2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 15 September 2013, 08:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1032154875

he has the car for sale in 3 different places LOL

Shaun
Old 16 September 2013, 09:55 AM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

I don't even think Ebay have a escrow service... so this is 100% scam without a doubt.

Jerrick
Old 16 September 2013, 10:12 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

scam or not, what sort of idiot hands over money for a car without seeing it and driving it first??

if you do hand over money for a car before doing both you deserve to lose your money for being an epic stupid ****.
Old 16 September 2013, 10:32 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
The spelling is too good for somebody from Dundee
Agreed, dead giveaway
Old 16 September 2013, 01:45 PM
Porkpie
Scooby Regular

If it looks too good to be true....
Old 16 September 2013, 05:06 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
scam or not, what sort of idiot hands over money for a car without seeing it and driving it first??

if you do hand over money for a car before doing both you deserve to lose your money for being an epic stupid ****.

Exactly my thoughts.

Mick
Old 16 September 2013, 05:24 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkpie
If it looks too good to be true....
Too true!!!!
Old 16 September 2013, 06:38 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

This scam was on TV this morning Programme Fraudsters. All the emails are not ebay and you some how pay the money into their account, Some guy lost £5,000 on a caravan. Don't do it
Neil
Old 19 September 2013, 04:29 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

I had one a couple of years back , ad was on gumtree ,

They claimed to be older people who now live in Sweden but did live in the uk , they were willing to travel back to the uk and meet with me to test drive the car but would only come back after they had a hotel nearby book ,

Smelt like I was in a fishmongers after this so decided to play along and see how far they would go , got this back

Unfortunately I have sent you all the car picttures I have for the moment.
I'm glad to inform you about the place for our meeting: Brook George Hotel, St George's Square, Huddersfield, HD1 1JA, on Saturday.
I will send you a U.K. phone number for us to get in touch on the day we will arrive.
I am ready to meet you, as we agreed, and make the deal, but above all I must be sure that you will be there because I can not do this travel in vain.
For this reason, I have a suggestion for you.
Focus your attention and read it carefully to understand my position!
My daughter will go to the Postkantoor (Postbank in Denmark), Frederikshavn and she will make a transfer to my name with destination Huddersfield. I am the beneficiary of £1500 in Huddersfield, the place of our meeting. I think that's an assurance for you that I will be there .
Once the transfer is complete I will scan the paper from my transfer and send it to you via email!
I also want the same from you. Someone you trust can go to the U.K.Post Office (Western Union minute service) from your city and make a deposit of £1500 to your name with destination Huddersfield. This is a service of the Post Office, where you do not need a bank account. It is a transfer from one person to another person. The transfer is immediate.
I would like to see the recipient of £1500 in Huddersfield! This is the proof to me that you have the money, and you will come there to meet us!
My point is that after I see this broadcast to your name, I will be sure that you will be there. If you agree please provide me your post code so I can find a agent location. In that way we will use the same service and we will be able to go together to the U.K.Post office in Huddersfield, to take our money back.
Perhaps you are worried over the transfer tax you will pay, about £40 , but because this condition is set by me,I will give you the tax money back when we will meet.
I told you, I am ready to meet you, but without this proof I will not accept to make this long trip to U.K. with no result.
I'll wait for your decision regarding my only condition in this business

My reply below
and after this no reply , I wonder why ? LOL

Sorry if I offend you but to me this is sounding like a scam so to prove you are real and this will not cost you a penny or a euro ,
I would like you to take a picture of yourself holding your passport so i can see your picture and name and a copy of today's or tomorrow Danish newspaper . You can do this using any camera phone or digital camera then send this picture by email to me before I go ahead with your plans .
Like I said this does not cost any money but it just proves you are not a Nigerian scammer .
I wait your next reply

Last edited by drfeelgood; 19 September 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 25 September 2013, 04:03 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

Yeah I meant I was born in Dundee but lived in Fife am I excluded from the Dundee thing lol
Old 26 September 2013, 08:28 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

and another one...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...5dr/1032482108