Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling newage scoob owners(advice)

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2013, 09:10 AM
Danny_lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling newage scoob owners(advice)

Hi everyone,

You'll have to bare with me here.
What it is, is I'm wanting to get my self a scoob around 2003+ and I think it's the blobeye that I'm looking at !
Also a uk spec too!

What are they like to tune,fix, realibitly,service and now to
Mention what's it like to forge the engine?!

I currently have a big turbo Leon cupra r: this below

Now I've built this from scratch along with aks tuning but I feel I want something new and jap! (First jap car) I've alway been a vag person but I hear Horror stories about the scoob engine,turbo,gearbox and so on! Abit like the evo 8 ayc !

I'd be breaking my Leon for a scoob and Id make around 10k back in parts! Also my rota grids are 18x9.5 5x100 I've heard these will fit on the scoob?

If anyone has any advice is be greatly appreciated!
Old 11 August 2013, 09:41 AM
chriscurzon
Scooby Regular

You can't handle Jap stick to VAG nails mate lol!

You have been thinking about this for months, just buy one and stop being a woman about it if you want one. I love mine but then i saw sense and binned the Seats years ago :P
Old 11 August 2013, 09:48 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blob engines are typically pretty good, it's the 2.5 which came in Hawks/Hatches that you've probably heard stories about.

The 5speed box in the WRX is pretty close to its limits with stock power, but the 6speed in the STI can take quite a beating at 450+ bhp.

Depending on your budget, the later Blobeyes (2005) are better specced but the do have a different wheel fitment so if you're desperate to recycle your rims stick with a pre 2005 car.

Tuning wise an STI will do up to 350bhp with stock turbo and exhaust/filter/remap but a new turbo removes your reasonable limits as the engine internals are good for over 400.

Loads of engine builders offering forged options, 2-3k banded around as a ballpark price.
Old 11 August 2013, 03:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Mate, forget the scoob and keep the cupra!!!

Looks nice, and if you spent some dough on it, bet its as quick as a scoob or a Evo!!!!

But if you really do want a scoob, I find the reliability a lot better then any of my Evo's I have owned, Look at the prices for stuff for replacement parts for a scooby and then look at parts for Evo's, big difference in the two!!!

Tuning wise, a blobeye STi can handle 450bhp on the standard bottom end, and the standard 6 speed gearbox ive seen as much as 600bhp going through them. A forged 2.1 stroker kit fitted can be had for around £2,000 these can handle 500bhp probably more, and the standard Brembo's are the same as your Cupra, Probably ok, but if you want good stopping performance then get a set of AP 6 pots or K-sport 8 pots!!!
Old 11 August 2013, 03:19 PM
chriscurzon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
But if you really do want a scoob, I find the reliability a lot better then any of my Evo's I have owned, Look at the prices for stuff for replacement parts for a scooby and then look at parts for Evo's, big difference in the two!!!
This is what i have been saying Danny.
The Scoob compared to my Evo is much better and feels it. Different drive and different handling car but the Scoob is my choice now!

The Leon is nice and you've ploughed the money into it but as i have always said imo the power is to high for just the front wheels and the map isn't helping that's why your in a sulk about it!

Just think about it either sort the Leon out once and for all but that means map and diff for you to be happy with it or cut ties break it and move away from the Seats
Old 11 August 2013, 09:26 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Blob engines are typically pretty good, it's the 2.5 which came in Hawks/Hatches that you've probably heard stories about.

The 5speed box in the WRX is pretty close to its limits with stock power, but the 6speed in the STI can take quite a beating at 450+ bhp.

Depending on your budget, the later Blobeyes (2005) are better specced but the do have a different wheel fitment so if you're desperate to recycle your rims stick with a pre 2005 car.

Tuning wise an STI will do up to 350bhp with stock turbo and exhaust/filter/remap but a new turbo removes your reasonable limits as the engine internals are good for over 400.

Loads of engine builders offering forged options, 2-3k banded around as a ballpark price.
the wrx box can handle 400bhp, the clutch doesn't like much more than 350bhp though

the 05 reg on are better spec, but it's only the sti with different fitment. wrx is 5x100, sti is 5x114.3

the wrx can be tuned to 340bhp easily, can be done for less than a grand (turbo, injectors, decat up-pipe, exhaust, 3 port, remap)

if you want big bhp or want to go on track days, get an sti. if you want a fast road car with 340bhp and 4k in your pocket, get a wrx

also, buy on condition and service history, not on milage. my new blob with over 100k on the clock feels better than my last blob with only 52k on the clock
Old 11 August 2013, 09:35 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey dan,

Having had 4 Leon's and 4 scoobs I feel I can comment lol

The lcr is a great car, add a map and it goes amazing,

I know your big turbo so used to the power coming in later,

For me, I always went back to the lcr due to its drive ability. Some of the scoobs I've had needed to be wound up and felt that town driving I just didn't use the power,

Then I drove the 2.5 and was hooked, bought one, head gasket failed like most seem to do. But now it's fine.

I'd say drive a wrx then an sti and finally a 2.5sti and see which you like,

A forged 2.5 would be the best in terms of rd car with about 360bhp 380ftlb

But there will be transmition loss too, the lcr interior is deffo better built. My 2006 rattles like mad inside,

If you ever want to call down ill take you for a spin,

The one thing I'd say is decide what you want to do first,

No offence, but your track record with cars, is like mine, you spend loads on the cars engine, then it either blows or you have enough n brake it,

If you want big power then a forged 2.5 with billet turbo would be immense but ££££

Don't discount the jap twin scroll stuff, never drove one but meant to be rapid....
Old 11 August 2013, 09:45 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

my 05 reg doesn't have any rattles
Old 11 August 2013, 09:47 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

the twin scrolls are rapid, but you don't get the burble though (they have equal length headers)
Old 11 August 2013, 09:49 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Mite be the ultra stiff revised hawk suspension lol,

I'm ripping the interior out and going to sort them, doesn't help that our roads are rough as ****, you'd think some of my £475 a yr rd tax would go to sorting that !!!
Old 11 August 2013, 11:04 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

that is a nice looking cupra r I have to say, but my advice would be as above if you stick the 2.0L engines they seem to be far more reliable and I have had ten now with minimal engine problems tbh, but the amount of hassle you hear with these 2.5's due to various things.
i suppose it depends on what you want power wise and driving wise that will depend what model will suit you best but as above bug and blobeye sti engines can handle a fair bit without having to go full out and forging everything in sight. so 2001-2005

Grant
Old 11 August 2013, 11:25 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to be throwing serious money at the car I'd recommend going for a 2.5 as forging it makes for an awesome road engine. Someone like APi or Enginetuner will build you a monster engine for a small fortune.

Ultimately going for any Newage car of any configuration gives you a good base but it is down to your personal preference. Don't hurry into buying one and check out what's available.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:27 AM
Danny_lad
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, muchly appreciated

I'd be looking at a 2003-2004 newage uk spec STI or a wr1T which I have seen a few off..I couldn't stretch to a 2.5 for my budget as this is more of a toy not a daily as I have a van for that!

Are the newage STI 6speed then? I've also been eyeing up a sc40 turbo before I've even bought the car lol..

Yeah I've built my Leon over the years and its rapid, but power isn't everything and I've done vag for the last 6 years and its been fun, but it's time to move on... I can alway build an immense scoob so it doesn't even matter tbh!

What I'm wondering if I'm going for the 2.0sti 2003 are they 5x100 and could I use my aem gauges like Afr and aem tru boost controller as that's the only 2 things id want to keep really

Thanks
Old 12 August 2013, 09:24 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

All the newage Sti are 6 speed boxes.

The year your looking at had 5x100 hubs.

The wr1 did have dccd fitted but they hold a premium for what they are.

The last of the blobs were widetrack and there stud patten went to 5x114.3
Old 15 August 2013, 10:22 AM
Danny_lad
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone

Can the td05h-20g be fitted to these as there's a few on eBay ATM around
£600