Sponsored by:

Help evo 7 r bug sti

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2013, 06:30 PM
Mud dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help evo 7 r bug sti

I have taken out a fq 300 standard 7 and I thought it was great part from the interior, and I have looked at a few scoobs a 2002 sti which wS nice aswell, I have abt 7 grand to spend but I wana keep abit for maitence and unforseen breakages, my question is wat wud u consider to be the better car, in terms of running 400/400 fast road eventually lol, Im not really fussed on a minter, just a good honest car, as I know already how hard it is to keep a car mint on the roads. Any previous owners to give their opinions of either car would be very helpful, thanks
Old 04 August 2013, 06:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's easier to get the Evo to 400bhp, but they cost a bit more to buy, but i'd say it's much of a muchness and just buy the best example that pops up at the right money, which ever marque that may be.
Old 04 August 2013, 06:47 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

400 is pushing the stock evo rods yet the bug will do 400 with ease......To be honest, bug sti vs Evo7 is a very tough call.

The price bug sti's can be picked up for IMO makes them pound for pound probably the best Impreza you can buy if you are looking at tuning.
Old 04 August 2013, 09:07 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go bugeye sti, get a JDM.

The evo's are absolute rot boxes.

The Impreza will feel quicker pound for pound too.

And I'm not just saying it because this is an Impreza forum! I've had experience of both.
Old 04 August 2013, 09:08 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
400 is pushing the stock evo rods yet the bug will do 400 with ease......To be honest, bug sti vs Evo7 is a very tough call.

The price bug sti's can be picked up for IMO makes them pound for pound probably the best Impreza you can buy if you are looking at tuning.
As jay says, the price of bug sti's make them amazing value pound for pound.
Old 04 August 2013, 09:38 PM
Mud dog
Scooby Regular

Wats the difference between the jdm bug sti and the uk Sti, I have traders insurance so the import won't actually cost me anything extra to put on my policy
Old 04 August 2013, 09:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the Evo 7 is thought of as one of the weaker Evo's (although I've always liked them)

Personally I'd be looking for a mint Evo 6 or the STI.... more than likely the STI
Old 04 August 2013, 10:22 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

You get a rear wiper on the JDM Bug (& other less important benefits such as a stronger and slightly more powerful engine!)

Watch out for rust on them too though, especially underneath on the front subframe.
Old 04 August 2013, 10:46 PM
Mud dog
Scooby Regular

R they jdms hard to get with service history sorry if this is a stupid question cuz I can't read Japanese anyway lol
Old 04 August 2013, 11:41 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

as above, have had both previously although was an 8 fq340 but also but heard the 7's were weaker and rods in particular, but had the prodrive style bug sti which is a cracking model with forged internals as standard or a jdm bug sti both will take 400bhp no problem with minor work and mapping, so for me would be one of the above bug models all day long.

Grant
Old 05 August 2013, 01:20 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

JDM bugs rules
Old 05 August 2013, 01:23 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
as above, have had both previously although was an 8 fq340 but also but heard the 7's were weaker and rods in particular, but had the prodrive style bug sti which is a cracking model with forged internals as standard or a jdm bug sti both will take 400bhp no problem with minor work and mapping, so for me would be one of the above bug models all day long.

Grant
Only jdm bugs had forged pistons as standart and more aggressive heads .

Old 05 August 2013, 01:30 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no forged pistons in jdm sti, another jdm myth.

have got big port heads though
Old 05 August 2013, 01:53 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
no forged pistons in jdm sti, another jdm myth.

have got big port heads though
the early cars had Dan, 2001 ... i have a pdf file somewhere at home will have to dig out ... Thats why they call it the strongest new age engine..
Old 05 August 2013, 04:59 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

yeah I agree the normal bug sti or even the bug sti with ppp never had forged pistons but the prodrive style model did, as it was never a ltd edition as such but basically was as there was only so many made, check on the prodrive style thread am sure it comes up, also the only model from those days that states prodrive on the v5 certificate, unless others did I am not aware of

Grant

Last edited by wrx fifer; 05 August 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05 August 2013, 05:26 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
yeah I agree the normal bug sti or even the bug sti with ppp never had forged pistons but the prodrive style model did, as it was never a ltd edition as such but basically was as there was only so many made, check on the prodrive style thread am sure it comes up, also the only model from those days that states prodrive on the v5 certificate, unless others did I am not aware of

Grant
Prodrive style bug was a jdm model also in japan and here in uk ... but uk cars didnt had any of that... Its difficult to comment as there were so many talks , opinions on this, but i had found a engine spec , transmission , lsd list on nasioc when did my home work before i got mine... And as long as i remember it said different things were , rev limiter, internals, and more aggressive heads , 5th and 6th gears shorter, HIDs ... Spring rate and maybe im still missing smtn...

Last edited by mantazini; 05 August 2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05 August 2013, 07:36 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

All bug sti's had forged pistons, Subaru move onto hypereutectic pistons with the blob sti.....rods are also the same.

The JDM bug engine is no different to the UK engine bar the cams......I've stripped 2 JDM bug engines to date and neither had big port heads which I found a strange.

Last edited by jayallen; 05 August 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05 August 2013, 10:23 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

All bug sti's had forged pistons, Subaru move onto hypereutectic pistons with the blob sti.....rods are also the same.

The JDM bug engine is no different to the UK engine bar the cams......I've stripped 2 JDM bug engines to date and neither had big port heads which I found a strange.
Strange. My JDM bugeye had large port heads. Was a late 2002 model. I removed them myself and compared them directly to uk heads. My engine was certainly original as I've removed and stripped enough to see the signs people leave.

I sold them to someone who'd been searching for large port heads for ages and had been sold a couple of sets via ebay that turned out to be non large port (although listed as so)

My car was like a different animal to a uk bug, it just felt much more aggressive.

Last edited by jameswrx; 05 August 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05 August 2013, 11:04 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

I had an EVO VII and now have a hawk WRX and my view even with the 2.5's failing it is going to have on me as some point, as a pair of cars I much prefer the Scooby.

I find it easier to drive better on fuel and smoother on acceleration. Mods on both cars were exactly the same, filter and exhaust .

Paul
Old 05 August 2013, 11:30 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
I had an EVO VII and now have a hawk WRX and my view even with the 2.5's failing it is going to have on me as some point, as a pair of cars I much prefer the Scooby.

I find it easier to drive better on fuel and smoother on acceleration. Mods on both cars were exactly the same, filter and exhaust .

Paul

not really equivalent cars, the evo is a much better drive than a wrx hawk. for starters it has proper brakes and suspension fitted,

the wrx may be more comfortable on the road but as a performance car the evo would kill a wrx impreza.
Old 05 August 2013, 11:53 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

not really equivalent cars, the evo is a much better drive than a wrx hawk. for starters it has proper brakes and suspension fitted,

the wrx may be more comfortable on the road but as a performance car the evo would kill a wrx impreza.
Strange but I have had them both and have to disagree
Old 05 August 2013, 12:04 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
Strange but I have had them both and have to disagree

fair enough but the brakes and suspension are not up to the job on a wrx, the evo has brembo's and better suspension.

the wrx will be a comfortable everyday car but the evo will be much faster on a b road blast.

I have also owned evos and wrx and sti impreza's

oh is yours an sti, I notice the sti stickers and grill badge
Old 05 August 2013, 12:39 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

oh is yours an sti, I notice the sti stickers and grill badge
Rumbled. What was that about HAWK eyes
Old 05 August 2013, 05:14 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Thats the best answer you can get i recon..When someone actually has touched the bloody thing and see whats what ....

Old 05 August 2013, 05:27 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Strange. My JDM bugeye had large port heads. Was a late 2002 model. I removed them myself and compared them directly to uk heads. My engine was certainly original as I've removed and stripped enough to see the signs people leave.

I sold them to someone who'd been searching for large port heads for ages and had been sold a couple of sets via ebay that turned out to be non large port (although listed as so)

My car was like a different animal to a uk bug, it just felt much more aggressive.
Maybe the only explanation is both cars had an engine change at some point in their UK history, fitted with a UK long engine.

I do know that the Subaru part number for bug sti heads( I think its the same with the blobs) is the same whether UK or JDM, so I guess any machine work to the JDM heads must not been done in house at STI.

Last edited by jayallen; 05 August 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05 August 2013, 07:42 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

I'd personally go for the STi Bug or an Evo VI, I love the looks of the STi bug over an Evo.
But the Evo is a great car, you really need to test drive a few of the cars and see what matches what you want out of the car.
Old 06 August 2013, 12:46 AM
Mud dog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, I love that yellow evo, is ther any jdms up for sale on site, I'm liking the sound of the stronger engine over the evo, I know I wud b happy in either car, they all seem so fast to me lol, does it take long for the modding bug to kick in? Can you get a black jdm bug sti?
Old 06 August 2013, 11:11 AM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

This is tasty https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...-for-sale.html
Old 06 August 2013, 04:02 PM
wrx scooby wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
JDM bugs rules
That looks nice mate what front splitter is that ?
Old 06 August 2013, 11:02 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Is that not just the standard STI/PPP splitter as that's whats on my UK300 Bug

Quick Reply: Help evo 7 r bug sti