Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Calling all ppl

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2001, 09:27 PM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there all,so I've been thinking...dangerous I know ..but anyway with bently coming up..or is it???!!! I was wondering how many of you would be interested in joining scid(social club 'for'impreza drivers)?? It seems to me that in my short time of aquaintence with you lot that there are many amoung us with little angels and cherubs who would probably love to meet up and look at cars chat eat drink(water of course) and be merry,but it appears that sidc doesnt do anything about social meetings,my only social meeting that was sidc indorsed was missing a sidc presence,i do understand tho that there is always a sidc presence at track events,so ayway anyone interested?
i do understand that sidc is a 'drivers'club which may explain why they dont bother with social events,but with summer coming(hopes) it would be good to have some social events so we can all met up and chat etc...
Old 24 April 2001, 10:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

SuzyQ,

why not propose to the SIDC committee (AGM due in the summer) to have a "Social Secretary" to organize "Social Events"? I presume that you are indeed a member?

At least that way you might get some funding for the events!

mb
Old 24 April 2001, 10:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Oh, and BTW, if you are in the Midlands area, there will be one big "social event" coming up at the Wales Camping Trip in Mid-May - see the Midlands Events section for details.

Then there is the BuN meet and the Gunthorpe meet and various spins offs - again in the Midlands.

I am sure that the North, South, Scotlands and Wales will all have similar informal do-s - so why not begin there and enhance?

mb
Old 25 April 2001, 12:01 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>Stef is a good man[/quote]

*snigger*
Old 25 April 2001, 08:58 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No doubt the AGM will be at a track, well, last year it was not, but that is, from what I've heard, a rare occurance.

When I posted on iwoc about bentley and if it's going to be arranged the reply back from Pete Croney was that we'd not been invited back, and from what I could gather this type of social event is not what they are interested in.

I joined the club mainly as a social thing, and bentley was the first meet, and thus I thought there would be more 'official' events like this, well, the only other offical event I went to was the Brands Hatch trackday, which was fun, but hardly a social venue and certainly not somewhere where you'd take your kids. As far as I'm aware, between now and then there have been no social type events by the club, or maybe I'm blind The only social events I've been to have been arranged WITHOUT the club, mainly on here, these being meets at the Smarden Bell, Clang n Ball run, and the meet at the Jacobean (going on tonight)

I totally agree with SuzyQ on the social aspect of things. SCID - ver nice, I can see the window stickers now!
Old 25 April 2001, 09:26 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The club is planning a large family social gathering later in the summer, as well as the events at Stanford Hall and Billing (see
Old 25 April 2001, 10:27 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,
Was the Donno event and official SIDC event?

Reason I ask is that this is very, very bad form on behalf of the SIDC to arrange two events on the same day.

If it was not, then it is diabolical that NO-ONE from the committe bothered to turn up at an OFFICIAL club event, even if it was <B>only</B> a social event.

OK, Bedford, hmm, you're five mins away, and correct me if I wrong but that's in Northampton, which might be a little far for me, being a sarf-east lad to travel, so what is SIDC planning for South East, and don't fob us off with 'regional organiser' stuff, I want to know what plans the MAIN part of the committe has for the South East.

why don't I put myself forward as an organiser, mm, would love to but I'm as busy as the rest of the comittee, so therefore I know I should not complain. I'm with suzy about setting up a social committe as from what I've seen the club cannot be bothered to.

As a point of note, off my own back I'm trying to see if the Porsche club will invite us to join them at their meet at bentley. To be honest, I'm loathed to say 'please can the SIDC come along like last year' mainly because the club, at present, has done bugger all to arrange this meet, which, at the agm was touted as one of SIDC's 'MAJOR' events, this is regardless of who made the statement and wether they are still with the club or not (and they are not), if this remark was not true then this should have been stated at the AGM, nbut I don't recall it? Guess we could prove this as there was a video recording of the AGM as I recall?

I think Suzy's idea is a good one, if the SIDC can't be arsed to sort out social events then maybe we should do it ourselves. Maybe it's time for the SIDC to become a commercial organisation, and in doing so a full time social event organiser could be appointed to cater for, possibly, the majority of memebers who only do the odd trackday, or don't want to do trackdays.
Old 25 April 2001, 10:53 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Markus.
The club did NOT orgainse two events on the same day, as Bentley is a PORSCHE event to which the SIDC was invited. You surely wouldn't expect the club to re-arrange it's own events to cater for other car club meets?
I wasn't in the committee at the time, so I don't know the ins and outs. By the sounds of it though , several Scoobs went and had a good time, despite the lack of 'official' presemce. Hopefully the same will be said of this years event, but WITH an official presence.
Billing IS in Northampton which DOES happen to be where I live, but as it is the most central place in the country it suits more members than any other location. Besides, this isn't just SIDC, it's a huge Japanese Car Club meet at one of the best family-orientated venues in the country. I'm just sorry it's too far away from you.
The regional orgainser 'stuff' is not fobbing off. No event can be arranged unless someone is prepared to organise it, and no one person can be expected to arrange meets in every part of the country!
The club has recently gone through a major upheaval and is doing it's best to cater for all members needs.
Unfortunately this won't always be the case.
Hopefully most of these issues will be resolved over the coming months.

Stef.
Old 25 April 2001, 11:07 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Markus

Agree with you m8. I joined SIDC for a year then let it lapse, being a sceptic is it really worth it, maybe if you do trackdays regularly then yes. Maybe I will renew if the club becomes more regional, as far as we in the South East are concerned I think we have a good calendar of events outside SIDC.

Just my 2penneth worth......
Jase
Old 25 April 2001, 11:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,
Thanks for the reply, the northampton bit was not meant to be a dig at you, as in 'he's in northamption so organise a nice local meet'

Anyway.
SIDC will have presence at Bentley this year, sure it don't clash with anything

Seriously though, I have, off my own back, been making progress in getting scoobies along to Bentley, I'm just about to call the Porsche guy who's the man to talk to, please do not try and steal my thunder, as I have been doing this when I should be working, so as to provide a nice social event for any scooby owners, including SIDC, as SIDC had/has not as yet bothered to sort out the Bentley event.
Old 25 April 2001, 11:22 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I do hope the SIDC AGM does not clash with anything else this year. The timing for last year was atrocious.

Old 25 April 2001, 11:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OK, update time.

for saving my pinkies, please read my post on my bentley thread here:
Old 25 April 2001, 11:47 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

"...please do not try and steal my thunder."

Oh, please. Give me some credit!

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 25 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 11:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sorry Stef, the red mist came down, I do apologise.

Credit where credit is due. Stef is a good man, and does a hell of a lot of work for the SIDC with regards to oranising events, remarks were really aimed at the SIDC as an entity and not at individual persons.

I am a club member (well, I think I am, all this has probably made me club enemy number one, and thus I'm probably having my membership revoked ) and wanted a repeat of s great social event, which, up until now the club had showed no interest in, hence me 'doing it off my own back'

Bottom line is, I think I've sorted the Bentley meet, with Peter's help, and hopefully, foot and mouth permitting it should be going ahead on Sunday June 10th.
Old 25 April 2001, 01:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Marcus

This event was organised in the past by Andy Hamilton and Dick Grimes. I have no access to member info, so do not know if Andy is still a club member, Dick is not. In the past, Andy's father has been on the committee of the Porsche owners club, hence the original invite.

I was lead to believe that Dick Grimes and Gareth Jones were attending, again, last year. Obviously they did not, but I don't feel this should lead to the current committee being criticised for their absence.

As with any event... track, social or otherwise, committee members will not always be present. If you only knew the amount of unpaid work that goes on behind the scenes, you would recognise that committee member's "quality time" is often at a premium and they may not want to attend an event.

This weekend for example, we will be driving (and in one case flying) to the midlands for a committee meeting, which will take up Saturday afternoon and evening.

Marcus, no one will steal your thunder. In fact this is just what we want. The club has grown beyond all recognition in the past two years. Membership has almost doubled since the AGM, in August. This is why we are trying to actively develop a Regional Organiser structure.

With regard to AGM timing, this has been moved October to allow more time to prepare the accounts after the financial year end and because less members will be away on holiday. Location and exact date has yet to be finalised. It will not be at a track and will be somewhere in the Midlands, as this is geographically best for the most people.

Sorry to add to the hijack of your thread Suzy, but as Stef has said, between the regions and the national events we are trying to create a good social scene. This is something that we are working on and more news will be posted as soon as we can.
Old 25 April 2001, 01:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I have spoke to Andy, which is where I got Peter's details from.

I know that you guys do an awful lot of work for the club, and you also have full time jobs, and I appreciate that.

My point is that there seemed to be too many trackday events, and not that many purley social events, even more so ones that take place at a non car related venue (OK, Bentley does have a motor mueseum, so it's not the best example)

I look forward to seeing what social events are forthcoming, and hope that at least one comittee member could be present at some of these, especially Bentley, seeing as it is this event is the main cause of this thread.

I will be at the AGM this year, and therefore will make my grievences known, and will commend the club if/when the social side of things is better arranged.

I personally think it's time the club became a proper organisation, as from what I have seen and what has been said, it's spiraling out of control and it needs full time love and attention to keep it being one of the best clubs there is.
Old 25 April 2001, 06:22 PM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

ha ha ha i got a word in!!!!
don't mind me boys,carry on amoung yourselfs!!
Old 25 April 2001, 07:38 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Suzy!!!!
Give us this year peeps, you won't know what hit ya!

Stef.
Old 26 April 2001, 08:57 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,

OK, I'll give SIDC the benefit of the doubt as there have been many changes, and change can/does take time.

Rest assured I'll be at the AGM this year (might even have a Burger King hat as well )
Old 26 April 2001, 01:10 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SuzyQ & Markus, check this out for my views on SIDC southern meets.
Old 26 April 2001, 01:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jaco,
Stef/Pete are NOT the only SIDC committe types on scoobynet, there is an SIDC user, which I believe is used by Lisa (membership seceretary)

Wow! SIDC and social meet in the same sentence good greif, what is the world coming to!

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 26 April 2001).]
Old 26 April 2001, 04:45 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Smile

SIDC meets in Essex are few and far between. Those that have been done (last Novembers Treasure Hunt) were superb though.

These past two meets were kicked off by myself on this BBS after I thought "'bout time we had a meet'. I am not SIDC committee, just a keen member. Anyone can organise things.

The Halfway House, is it or isn't it thread was frankly, a joke. Fair enough, it started with a genuine enquiry, but ended in a slanging match in a kind of us versus SIDC kind of way , fuelled in no uncertain way by a certain mans personal beef with Pete Croney .

Well, I have now agreed to take on the Regional Organiser role for Essex SIDC and hopefully, I can bring some half-decent events to the Essex scene. I have started a thread in the southern section asking for ideas and what people want to see.

Initial plans are a Karting event in July and regular Sunday lunch meet and greets. I also intend to sort out another treasure hunt when the F&M crisis abates.

As Stef says, watch this space...

James.

PS. Stick around, my membership in SIDC is payed many times over in discounted servicing. Always ask if a garage offers SIDC discounts

PPS. Go to TRAX, its wicked!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jacko:
<B>SuzyQ & Markus, check this out for my views on SIDC southern meets.
Old 26 April 2001, 10:49 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Jacko.
I'm not saying you'll have to wait another year, I'm saying THIS years is gonna rock so !!!!

Stef.
Old 26 April 2001, 10:50 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Jacko.
I'm not saying you'll have to wait another year, I'm saying THIS years is gonna rock so !!!!

James.
Nice one mate, good luck!

Stef.
Old 27 April 2001, 08:20 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Wink

James_Harvey, if you wanted a plewis type reaction, then now you got one!
You are a DORK!
I have no personal beef with Pete or Stef. If you have read the previous thread fully (and this one)...you might actually ascertain that I feel for these guys as they solely represent SIDC on this BBS.
So get off your wooden rocking horse and rather than talk about an Essex meet, get on and do it .

P.S. I am a school governor, so go stand in the corner with a D on your bonce...
P.P.S. Why is it that people feel compelled to elongate a rather simple and accurate point on this BBS, rather than sticking to the facts TYPED out in front of them

Love, Jacko (with Flamesuit buttoned up!)

[This message has been edited by Jacko (edited 27 April 2001).]
Old 27 April 2001, 11:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Update on the Bentley meet, please see:

bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum19/HTML/000310.html

Sorry for the Hijack again Suzy