Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Shot but any 996 owners who can help

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2001, 06:34 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry its a bit off topic but the Porker board is a bit crap and I've been a member here for ages so calling in an internet favor .....

I've a 2000 996 with only 5KKM on the clock and I've notice that the water level in the coolant system is dropping very slowly. Its going from Max to Minimum every 500KM or so.
I haven't seen any leaks in the garage so I checked the oil(you never know) and there is a 'little' evidence or condensation in the oil top up pipe. I know this looks bad as its possibly a gasket leak internally but we don't use the car much so I'd expect some water vapour in the oil as we probably only drive 60-80 KM per day but the fact its also losing water from the cooling system is a bit worrying, I'm hoping its a co-incidence but anyone out there with a 996 seen white water(oil/water mix) in their oil filler pipe. Its only a few drops but its certainly visible
I've checked the dipstick and the oil looks fine within the engine itself.

Regards
Cammy

[This message has been edited by camk (edited 26 April 2001).]
Old 26 April 2001, 07:37 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Ooops, I thought you were on about a Ducati 996, sorry.
Old 26 April 2001, 08:13 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

CAMK

I ran a 996 for just over a year and the problem u have is a familiar one.

The wee bit of condensation u see in the filler spout is there as an indication of u doing short journeys. However do a long run and it will disappear. The cause is the use of the plastic filler tube which bends sharply just under the yellow filler cap.

Re the water level this is more than likely the same problem I had due to airlocks in the system It took me around 10k miles to sort this out. To rememedy run car to normal operating temp and then allow to idle until u hear the front radiator fans cut in. After they have finished blowing switch of engine and allow 15 to 20 mins. ENSURE THAT U PARK THE CAR ON A SLOPE FACING DOWNHILL...ESSENTIAL.

After the 20 mins or so timelapse very carefully under the header tank filler top. U may then see some bubbles appearing as the water level drops.

Allow around an hour for the engine to cool...the longer the better. I left mine overnight.

Re start engine and then slowly and carefully fill the header tank to the max line. Allow to idle and see if level drops..if it does top up accordingly. If not after 15 mins or so, replace the header top and drive away.

Hopefully this will sort out your problem...it sorted mine ok.

996 have also a habit that when driven hard up through the gear to high revs, there can be odd occasions that the red indicator lite will come on indicating overheating but that your tank is full....can be very annoying.

Slow down and stop vehicle and briefly switch off and then restart immediately and the red indicator is out. U can do this if u are driving at slow speed on a staright road.

Have fun and hope the problems disappear.

regards
Mark
Old 26 April 2001, 08:37 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Mark,
Top man, BTW the WW kit is top class and beading water like a ducks *** , I used it last week on my bike(Black Yamaha Fazer) for the first time(I know its 4 Porsche) and its better than it looked when I picked it up new 18 months ago.
I'll try out out your fix on the Porker and let you know.

BTW my wife loves the Glass cleaner and wants to know how much for a big bottle for her windows, I kid you not.

Cammy
Old 26 April 2001, 09:15 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Lee,
Never thought of that on the Duke front although I'd love one but not yet man enough on the bike front...nice candy red one......wonder what I'd get chopping in my Fazer

Cheers
Cammy
Old 27 April 2001, 11:46 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

camk

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Big bottle...depends how big u want..500ml, 1 Ltr, 5 Ltr or 25 Ltr

Let me know and I will work somethin out for you. I would suggest a litre as this will make the postage worthwhile to Germany.

A tip for you...use newspaper to work in the fluid and then turn it over and buff. The paper acts as an absorbant and the carbon in the ink acts as a cleaning agent