This 'JAP' Scene

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2013, 09:57 AM
orangemuffin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This 'JAP' Scene

Hi Chaps,

New to impreza ownership after having picked one up a 97 sti wagon few months back for a European road trip I am going on. Never had anything Jap before and must admit I am a massive fan already.

Iv'e Driven VW's all my life. Wide rims, stretched tyres, chassis notches and coilies right the way down....I go to the shows and the stand out thing is the chilled out vibes and the friendliness of it. Also out the road other dubs are well received.

But I'm struggling to understand this Jap scene. Iv'e been driving the impreza on and off all week and all I get is guys in civics and rx8's trying to race me and driving up my ****.

Is this what I can expect all the time ? Is this normal ?

I am quite the reservist as a driver and a strong believer in tracks days being the place for showing off your fast car but the guy in the rx8 over took 3 cars just to drive up my *** for 5 minutes and then fly past me on a dual carriage way ??!
Old 11 June 2013, 10:04 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Your are experiencing the usual **** heads thinking they can take on an impreza. Just ignore them. Let them get the 3 points for driving like bell ends..

You will find 98% of people on here friendly informative and very helpfull.
Old 11 June 2013, 10:04 AM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

It's normal
Old 11 June 2013, 10:29 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Mate, when you have a Ferrari things are a lot worse.

The number of bellends trying to race is very annoying.

So is the abuse you receive for daring to have a car the other guy can't afford.
Old 11 June 2013, 10:30 AM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

people like to "beat" imprezas so they can tell there mates down the local car park on a Friday night

this is not a jap thing though. you probably just looking out for it more since changing brand

some people just drive like idiots as well
don't assume its because off the car your driving
Old 11 June 2013, 10:46 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got beat by a 1.2 corsa the other day at the lights.....My own fault I was too busy looking at his mrs and laughing at him reving the engine
Old 11 June 2013, 11:01 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Also, its a bit relative from where youve come from.

The "dub scene" with all its tight trowsers, flat capped peaks and "stance" is all about stretched tyres, 5mm of ground clearance and 20 degrees of camber, so racing/track days/actually using the car at more than 5mph etc isnt really an option anyway.

Now your in something a bit more dynamically "satisfying" its bound to bring out the dark side in certain bellends.

As said, just rise above.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
Old 11 June 2013, 11:17 AM
logger
Scooby Regular

Just smile and wave boys. just, smile and wave
I get it loads just let them overtake, it makes a 1.2 corsa driver feel like a king haha
Old 11 June 2013, 11:48 AM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

I tend to give them a cheeky lick of second, pop a flame over their bonnet and they then tend to back off. But thats just me.

Nobody respects you if you drive like a hooligan on the roads, let them bin their pride and joy, then barble past smugly.
Old 11 June 2013, 11:52 AM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

and welcome to the club that is full of 'what power you running', 'what’s in it' and 'you're a chav'.

Member benefits include owning a piece of pedigree motoring history, the best sounding engine in the world and waiting patiently for snow come winter.

Its a good package.
Old 11 June 2013, 12:05 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

I must admit at being quite amused at some of the people I've had wanting a race since I got the Scooby. I never indulge them but sometimes if ive had a tit in a corsa 2 feet from the back of me I will demonstrate how much quicker my car will go from 30 to 60 when leaving the village. The other car I regularly drive is a 911 and if you want people wanting a race every 5 seconds then drive one of them around as a 26 year old. It's pure comedy some of the guys that think they have a chance!
Old 11 June 2013, 12:12 PM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

I get people trying to race me a fair bit, though weirdly it's always people in saxos/corsas, or panel vans! I find a majority of jap car owners don't bother so much.
Old 11 June 2013, 12:30 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

I'll have a go with the 911 in my scoob!! #chav
Old 11 June 2013, 12:41 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

I just don't get anyone on my ****, I think it's because it's a wagon, although I do have a sticker on the side saying "wake me up when your vtec kicks in" which is annoying the kid in the type r down my road, he keeps trying everytime he sees me, and now he's got a great habit of flooring it past my house everytime he comes past, quite annoying when he's got a buddy club fully decatted and headers, shakes the **** out my house!
Old 11 June 2013, 12:46 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get any of this, are you sure its not most of you dreaming its happening because your under the impression you have the fastest car on the road??
Old 11 June 2013, 12:47 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-rob
I'll have a go with the 911 in my scoob!! #chav
Lol. I am sure there are a few modded Imprezas out there that would win easily in a drag race, but the PDK gearbox in the 911 with launch control does make a lovely job of getting you off the line and up to 60 without much thought
Old 11 June 2013, 12:48 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cakeslice1988
I just don't get anyone on my ****, I think it's because it's a wagon, although I do have a sticker on the side saying "wake me up when your vtec kicks in" which is annoying the kid in the type r down my road, he keeps trying everytime he sees me, and now he's got a great habit of flooring it past my house everytime he comes past, quite annoying when he's got a buddy club fully decatted and headers, shakes the **** out my house!
Old 11 June 2013, 01:17 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

and welcome to the club that is full of 'what power you running', 'what’s in it' and 'you're a chav'.

Member benefits include owning a piece of pedigree motoring history, the best sounding engine in the world and waiting patiently for snow come winter.

Its a good package.
Well said !
Old 11 June 2013, 01:19 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Its a good package.

lol have a word with yourself.

you own a cheap jap saloon with a chav image. its not a Ferrari or even that fast compared to modern hot hatches.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:30 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
lol have a word with yourself.

you own a cheap jap saloon with a chav image. its not a Ferrari or even that fast compared to modern hot hatches.

For a kick off yes, I do OWN it, unlike many of the financed modern hot hatches out there.

Secondly yes it is a chav image, especially when I hang a tree trunk of an arm out the window, in a vest, regardless of weather.

Finally, no it isn't a Ferrari, and it rarely is at 26 years young.

But mainly I love it, and am too busy enjoying my car to make 13 thousand narky posts.

Bob bob bob
Old 11 June 2013, 01:32 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

For a kick off yes, I do OWN it, unlike many of the financed modern hot hatches out there.

Secondly yes it is a chav image, especially when I hang a tree trunk of an arm out the window, in a vest, regardless of weather.

Finally, no it isn't a Ferrari, and it rarely is at 26 years young.

But mainly I love it, and am too busy enjoying my car to make 13 thousand narky posts.

Bob bob bob

too busy racing corsa's
Old 11 June 2013, 01:41 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

I don't get any of this, are you sure its not most of you dreaming its happening because your under the impression you have the fastest car on the road??
No

But I think the guy in the brand spanking M3 on sunday thought that as he went out of his way to try and undertake me on the duel carriage way because i was in front of him and he was getting held up by old people ..shame he couldn't drive it properly and had absolutely no road awareness

Anyway have you booked that track day in July yet?

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 11 June 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:45 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
No

But I think the guy in the brand spanking M3 on sunday thought that as he went out of his way to try and undertake me on the duel carriage way because i was in front of him and he was getting held up by old people ..shame he couldn't drive it properly and had absolutely no road awareness

Anyway have you booked that track day in July yet?

totb you mean??
Old 11 June 2013, 01:47 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Type20Paul
Lol. I am sure there are a few modded Imprezas out there that would win easily in a drag race, but the PDK gearbox in the 911 with launch control does make a lovely job of getting you off the line and up to 60 without much thought
I officially withdraw my offer sounds like RWD heaven to me
Old 11 June 2013, 01:51 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

My wife thought she was recently.
I got overtaken off the lights by an 06 Fiesta ST.

The reason was that the young man overtook me and the little old lady that was at the head of the queue on the wrong side of the road. He actually passed the lights to the right of them.
He failed to take the hint when I overtook said lady legally and took 100 yards out of his 'lead' in doing so, then twitched so much going into a bend that I thought he'd fishtail.
That stretch of road has had a number of fatalities over the past few years, and indeed the bend he almost lost it on has flowers placed regularly on it, so he has a daily reminder of how he could be next, or more to the point the girl who was in the front passenger seat with him.

He was only doing 50 when I overtook him. A lesson learned I sincerely hope.

It DOES happen.
In the wife's Corsa CDTi or the Mazda 323F we previously had, no problems at all re. behaviour directed at me/the car specifically. You get the odd undertaker at the lights, the hedgehopper every now and then etc. but drive the same route in the same conditions at the same time in a scooby and they are all over you - close enough not to be able to see their plates, even headlights (on 50mph roads), bikers nipping into the 20 yard gap I leave between me and the vehicle in front so I can guide the car out when and if I floor it to overtake, clowns deliberately slowing down to 40 (or less) in 50-60mph zones with double-white lines, idiots taking their time to overtake buses, causing problems for the 10 cars behind them who also want to pass before the brow of the hill, and all because I'm next in line, muppets pulling out early (and illegally, before double-whites end) in order to be in front of me when overtaking said buses. Hell, I could be 100 yards up the road before they've even finished their overtaking manoeuvre.

Youngsters want bragging rights, fogies simply have envy because in all their lives they never had the joy of owning and driving what I have.

Perhaps the youngsters think I'm a fogie and the fogies think I'm a youngster.

It's hard being an inbetweeny.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:51 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Guess people use the car as a bench mark.
On the way back from TA Snetterton Sunday had a 3 series bright green, tons of stickers over the rear window. He started off hogging the outside lane for few miles, I then made my way, then he's stuck on my bumper trying to hump it!.
He got left behind, then saw him 30miles later behind again, dual carriage way ends and he boots it to over take, and swerved right in front of me cutting me up.....all just to get in front, and prob say to his mate...."look I beat him".
He then tailgated the car infront till he turned off! Mad driving, dangerous driving....to sum up a right c**k.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the way you go fishing tubbs and always manage to hook one.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaid
Mate, when you have a Ferrari things are a lot worse.

The number of bellends trying to race is very annoying.

So is the abuse you receive for daring to have a car the other guy can't afford.
Yeah, I get that all the time in the Bugatti.
Old 11 June 2013, 02:00 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Yes Tubbs, going on Friday eve and setting up camp for the weekend, Getting there between 7.30-8pm fri.
Old 11 June 2013, 02:04 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I love the way you go fishing tubbs and always manage to hook one.

passes the time at work

he's only a tiddler though

Quick Reply: This 'JAP' Scene