Sponsored by:

Classic Type RA/R or Blob STI

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2013, 07:17 AM
RATom
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Type RA/R or Blob STI

Hi all. New to this site so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

After 4 years of driving FWD honda's and toyota's im finally getting to a position where i can get myself an impreza so iv been looking into what to get.

My fascination with impreza's started over ten years ago when my stepdad brought home a brand spanking new P1, since then a classic is all iv wanted.

Iv been looking at Type RA's and Type R's as id ideally like a 2 door if i can save enough and this is where my problem comes in because for a type R im looking at decent blob sti money.

Iv done my research and i can find bits and bobs comparing the two but nothing conclusive as to whats better.

So id basically like to know from you guys.. what would you pick..?

My heart lies with a classic but the sensible side of me says get a newer less lairy car.

The car will do less than 3k miles a year

It will be a weekend only/trackday car and wont see winter roads

also are hurst cars any good..? they seem to have a very nice selection of cars there.
Old 30 April 2013, 08:53 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Weekend only fun car, classic everytime buddy.

Hurst cars are spot on too.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:26 AM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

i was in the same boat, ended up with a classic, each time i see a blob i do wonder if ive done the right thing, but im sure once i get it on track i wont be looking back at blobs lol

Also i bought mine from hurst cars, cant complain and like you say, he does have a nice selection of cars there.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:40 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Define 'better'?

A newage will be as quick around the track as it's a 'better' developed car. However a well sorted Type R is probably more fun and will 'feel' faster.

I have a Type R, just shy of 370bhp, 6 speed box, Brembos etc. It's a great fun drive, always on the edge of your seat when pushing it a bit. So, I'd say a Type R or an RA.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:00 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Another vote for a type r, I'm on my second.
Old 30 April 2013, 01:40 PM
theboywhippo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Echo people's thoughts on the Type R especially if it's just a weekend toy. Mine makes me grin every time I take it out which sadly isn't often enough.

My v6 Limited came from Hurst Cars too in January this year and has been faultless (touches wood). Max's cars aren't the cheapest but I don't regret my purchase at all. Plus he's a nice chap to boot.
Old 30 April 2013, 04:51 PM
RATom
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated.

After what youve all said and a good think today im definitely going to go for an RA or R.

Part of me kept thinking i need something more refined as iv used my cars for dailys for the last 4 years and with coilovers and such they have been a bloody nightmare on our roads tbh but iv got a work van now so i dont have to worry about that any more. So classic it is

Glad hurst cars has good reviews off you all as well because out of all the places iv been looking into they seem by far the best, cars seem quality.

Best get my backside into gear and go buy one now hadnt i.
Old 30 April 2013, 04:51 PM
RATom
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated.

After what youve all said and a good think today im definitely going to go for an RA or R.

Part of me kept thinking i need something more refined as iv used my cars for dailys for the last 4 years and with coilovers and such they have been a bloody nightmare on our roads tbh but iv got a work van now so i dont have to worry about that any more. So classic it is

Glad hurst cars has good reviews off you all as well because out of all the places iv been looking into they seem by far the best, cars seem quality.

Old 30 April 2013, 04:57 PM
max cook
Scooby Regular

I have just bought a blob STi from Max at Hurst Cars last week! Very decent and easy guy to deal with
As for blob vs classic, I went for the blob as it will be my everyday car. The classics he had in the 'showroom' looked very nice though.
Old 30 April 2013, 06:25 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RATom

errrrrrr, yes!
Old 30 April 2013, 09:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As it's for track I suggest you get one with plenty of horses and a 6 speed or ppg box, also the most important things are good quality uprated brakes and a forged engine is a must have.

I'm sure max will point you in the right direction.

Oh and keep your right foot planted, lift off oversteer is a b!tch.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 May 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:20 PM
scoobywho2
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt go anywhere near hurst cars personally, seen some utter ****e cars there and heard some absoulte horror stories about him.

Does have nice cars come through but you can pick up similar spec cars private much cheaper and not sure I would want anything after its been through his hands.

Some people trust him so up to you...

+1 for Type R.
Old 30 April 2013, 10:58 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobywho2
I wouldnt go anywhere near hurst cars personally, seen some utter ****e cars there and heard some absoulte horror stories about him.

Does have nice cars come through but you can pick up similar spec cars private much cheaper and not sure I would want anything after its been through his hands.

+1 for Type R.
Horror stories ??? Ive never seen any.

I've dealt with Maks many times, never had any problems whatsoever. Dealers can't please everyone though and often get difficult customers.

OP, go and see him. If the cars are good then nothing else matters.
Old 30 April 2013, 11:33 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywho2

+1 for Type R.
You seem to be talking alot of waffle to me.

Ok so what did you come and see here? You say you seen some ****e? Can you elaborate on exactly what you saw? Model, year and when you came here. Heard some horror stories? All these statements sound a little up in the air to me. Not to say all of the cars here are 100%, saying that most are in good condition at the least.

I've learnt as time goes along you cannot please everyone, you can only try and please most people you meet.

There are a fair few tyre kickers out there and you do sound resoundingly like one of them. Over the years i have been as accomodating as possible even for tyre kickers and after a while in the trade i have realised that general peope in the trade do not stand for timewasters, but yet i have always given people time and the benefit of the doubt.

Don't try and make a very occasional incident sound like common practice. An engine went on a guy 2 years ago which he was refunded for on a 14 year old car and that was the last "major" problem we had. Considering how quickly we get through some of these cars and the nature of them, i would consider that as good practice. So can you please elaborate on your statement. Max

Last edited by adam405sti; 30 April 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 30 April 2013, 11:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by adam405sti
You seem to be talking alot of waffle to me.

Ok so what did you come and see here? You say you seen some ****e? Can you elaborate on exactly what you saw? Model, year and when you came here. Heard some horror stories? All these statements sound a little up in the air to me. Not to say all of the cars here are 100%, saying that most are in good condition at the least.

I've learnt as time goes along you cannot please everyone, you can only try and please most people you meet.

There are a fair few tyre kickers out there and you do sound resoundingly like one of them. Over the years i have been as accomodating as possible even for tyre kickers and after a while in the trade i have realised that general peope in the trade do not stand for timewasters, but yet i have always given people time and the benefit of the doubt.

Don't try and make a very occasional incident sound like common practice. An engine went on a guy 2 years ago which he was refunded for on a 14 year old car and that was the last "major" problem we had. So can you please elaborate on your statement. Max

i await the answer to this
Old 30 April 2013, 11:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Popcorn anyone.
Old 01 May 2013, 06:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus so if we're talking classics what do people expect a 12 to 19yr old car to be like pristine condition.

I have what I consider to be a low milage reasonable condition for age Type r, it has 74000 on the clock and is a 1997 model, which makes it 16yrs old, and when I get round to building another engine it will be it's 3rd.

I also have a Blob wagon on a 54 plate with 94000 on it, so coming up to 8yrs old, it gets used, it's Not mint, it's a car that lives in a city goes to the shops no matter where I park it some **** parks right next to it and their b@stards open the doors onto it or some dozey bint hits it with a trolly, my little lad puts his feet on the dash (oi this isn't your mums car) drops crisps on the seat, we're out in the countryside a lot, it gets muddy, the dog goes in the back in all weathers, as does garden waste and all sorts of other crap for the tip.

And oh no it gets driven how the **** do people expect it to look perfect when it comes to me selling it, it's 8yrs old FFS.

If people want a new car there are plenty of places selling them, they cost £20k + and most of them break and have things go wrong a damm sight more often than a subaru, I should know i've had more than I can remember with 25yrs + of company cars.

So you go to some honest john like max and think he's got x ray vision to see inside the engine and a crystal ball so he can see the future as well as a delorean to travel back in time to see how every car he's selling has been treated before he buy's it, just so he can make a few quid on a £6k car, then if something goes wrong with one of the hundreds of cars he's sold he's dodgy and so are his cars.

The clue here is in the fact that Second hand means pre owned, these are performance cars and people drive them hard because that's what they are for, they cost a fraction of the new price for a reason.

P.S, I don't know max, never spoken to him, but some of the few people I respect on here have dealt with him and All recommend him.

Reason for rant........ kn0b heads.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 May 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01 May 2013, 06:50 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Id like to hear some horror stories too, ive had 2 cars from maks and a 6 speed set up, a genuinly nice and easy to deal with guy and cars have been spot on. Think your thinking of someone else there.
Jay