Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The death of my lovely Bugeye....

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2013, 05:33 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The death of my lovely Bugeye....

It's a sad time writing this but sadly my Bugeye is no more. A couple of days ago driving down a country lane a deer ran into the road, I swerved to avoid it and clipped the muddy bank which managed to spin the car round (I have no idea how).... it was all very quick but it rolled twice after hitting the opposite bank (speed approx 35MPH).

Fortunately I walked away uninjured and no one else was involved (the deer also ran off).

I have already heard all the 'young drivers shouldn't have a car like that', but in reality I have never had any scrapes as a young driver (nearly 23 now) like most have, and I have a clean license. I am so dissapointed about this, I loved the car and it only had 75k on the clock, a full main dealer history and great condition Continental tyres. It was in mint condition and unmolested, in fact it could have passed off for a 5 year old car.

I guess for the time being I will not be able to find another Impreza in such good condition for what the insurers will pay out. They have offered me £2900 - £500 excess so £2400 to spend. This does sound reasonable but they say they use the Glasses guide prices. I just paid £4 for a tailored Glasses evaluation and they state - £3600 for a dealer price due to the Metalic Mica /Low milage for age. Apparently they pay the dealer prices?

To be honest to buy one from a dealer does look over £3k especially with only 2 owners and low miles/FSH like mine had from what I can see on ebay.

I am going to mention the £3,600 and see if they will up their pay out. I would say a middle ground would be fair?

Here are some pics anyway.....

Such a sad day, I still cant believe it has happened

Last edited by tomo2323; 17 April 2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: photo links
Old 17 April 2013, 05:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bloody hell good effort!! the swerved to avoid a deer is a good excuse
Old 17 April 2013, 05:44 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Glad to see you're unharmed buddy!
Old 17 April 2013, 05:45 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Dorset as well and the amount of animals that I've had jump out in front of me is ridiculous.

imo never accept the first offer and try to get a sensible payout,possibly try to get a few examples of how much people are selling a similar mileage/spec car in the local area.
Old 17 April 2013, 05:48 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

oh dear, you did well to walk away unscathed there mate
as said never accept first offer from insurance, dispute at least couple of times to get more, i did this and got an extra £300
Old 17 April 2013, 05:55 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Your doing the right thing, research cars for sale in a similar condition. Look at as many guides as you can. Have you done recent photos which show it was 'untouched and good condition'.
Old 17 April 2013, 06:01 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
bloody hell good effort!! the swerved to avoid a deer is a good excuse
haha, it was true though ... Someone nearby saw a lot of deer. I guess with the Scooby I have become complacent with AWD thinking it will get you out of a sticky situation....obviously not this time.

It was initially horizontal on the road. It didn't help that the road was a dead end with no other access and a queue of traffic trying to get past... some nice man towed it around so traffic could get through, was horrible hearing the scraping of the metal on the roof

Police breathalyzed me at the roadside! It was only 5:30pm!!

I will hold out for a bit more then, I have found some others in similar condition.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item337f1bf446
Old 17 April 2013, 06:02 PM
williams.84
Scooby Regular

Sorry to see that mate glad to hear you ok tho
Old 17 April 2013, 06:34 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Will you be getting another If the insurance pays out an ok amount? Or will loosing your ncd be an issue for next year?
Old 17 April 2013, 06:51 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The golden rule motoring, NEVER swerve for an animal. Normally that applies to little rabbits and the like, I suppose that a dear is quite a big bigger and it's a natural instinct to swerve....

Still an insurance company offering a dealer price is a bonus... Normally it's market value ie private sale value as dealer prices have in built profit margin.
Old 17 April 2013, 07:11 PM
Willismg01
Scooby Newbie

should have hit the ******* at-least
you would still have your car
Old 17 April 2013, 08:10 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Will you be getting another If the insurance pays out an ok amount? Or will loosing your ncd be an issue for next year?
I don't know really, I mean I was on my financial limits paying for the fuel on the last one.... I will loose 2 years NCD. So I will have 2 years still (I thought you lost them all but apparently not!).

Probably get a Mondeo which is the car I had before the Impreza.
Old 17 April 2013, 08:11 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

thank you for all the well wishing messages by the way
Old 17 April 2013, 08:18 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are OK

£2900 seems pretty fair for a Bug WRX.................I thought they were going to offer £1995 or thereabouts.

Bug WRX's are worth peanuts at the moment, thirsty, no six speed, no Brembo's etc..

Having said that I'd try and get more from them on principal

Shaun
Old 17 April 2013, 08:27 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Glad you are OK

£2900 seems pretty fair for a Bug WRX.................I thought they were going to offer £1995 or thereabouts.

Bug WRX's are worth peanuts at the moment, thirsty, no six speed, no Brembo's etc..

Having said that I'd try and get more from them on principal

Shaun
Yes I thought it was a fair price. However there maybe plenty around but I really hand on heart say this is one of the most genuine cars I have seen, period. There are plenty at the £2k price point but they look like sheds and I would imagine have been treated that way.

MY one drove like new, it had only just had a new cam belt and radiator done within the last year at Subaru and had literally EVERY receipt from day one with no expense spared, every MOT, every tax disk. I think out of principle it would take me a very long time to find one like that, and the previous owner was a great bloke and maybe a bit OCD about keeping receipts!.

All of that said but I doubt they care, and I don't expect them too but an extra couple of hundred wouldn't go a miss.
Old 17 April 2013, 08:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Willismg01
should have hit the ******* at-least
you would still have your car
It would have left one helluva dent, the only consultation - he'd have had venison for a month
About how long they'd have taken to repair it
Old 17 April 2013, 08:35 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

glad you're ok

i wrote mine off in november, 05 reg wrx, mint condition, i got paid out £4900 that was the first offer too, i was expecting them to offer £3500 or so, i accepted straight away cos i was happy with it

went out and bought one exactly the same for £3600
Old 17 April 2013, 08:46 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

35mph pmsfl, I have had a dear run out in front of me when I was doing 50mph in my van and I braked with no bother as the dear is bloody quick to cross the road.

If they are only going to pay £2500 I would just bite the bullet and not make the claim as your insurance will go up that much you will probably loose more cash by claiming.
Old 17 April 2013, 08:49 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

tbh it was 35mph but on a corner, so I had little braking time. Think insurance will go up by £2500 ?!? I am paying £700 a year currently.
Old 17 April 2013, 09:23 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

£700 is cheap for your age

my insurance went up at renewal from £800 (old car with 263bhp) to new car with different turbo, pinks, remap, running 325bhp, went up to £900, not bad really, but i have got protected no claims
Old 17 April 2013, 11:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had someone make a claim against me and my insurance went up £500 the next year and that was in my van, you being young and probably picking a nice motor I think the price hike will be far bigger.
Old 17 April 2013, 11:22 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's amazing how easily these cars roll at speeds between 30-40mph, a few have been rolled at that speed in the last year.

Glad you are ok though, a car can be replaced easily enough.
Old 17 April 2013, 11:31 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

I told the police I wasn't sure of the speed, I guessed at 35 but could be slightly more. (It was a national speed limit 60 anyway). Any ideas of insurance increases? Obviously I want something that is of similar performance but dont want a huge increase next year.

I am thinking of looking at a Mondeo ST220 but wont have the rapid acceleration of the Scooby. I think I have had enough of the basic level of options of the Scooby for a while so a Mondeo might be a nice change again.

Anyone think it would be worth buying a cheaper Bugeye and putting some effort into doing it up? I usually do all my own work on my cars so I could put in the effort.

I really want a car with a high insurance group for the next 9 months because if I get something lower than the Scooby then I get no rebate on my policy.
Old 17 April 2013, 11:47 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a clue on the insurance, I have no idea where Admiral get their rates from.
Old 17 April 2013, 11:48 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

700 insurance! Who's it with?
Old 17 April 2013, 11:52 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

I think they put their rates at a low price point due to the high excess for young drivers.... £500 for me!! If I put my premium up to £1k then it would be 200 excess.

Admiral... although they do require declaration of Drivers Awareness courses which has loaded my premium.
Old 18 April 2013, 01:06 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

She stood up well to a double roll. Just shows how tough and safe these cars are. Glad your uninjured and never except the first offer. Hit them with facts and evidence as to the value to replace. If they wont have it tell them to replace the car for another of similar conditions and mileage. Tell them to put their money where their mouth is.
Old 18 April 2013, 02:07 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

result - £3200 payout - £500 excess.... so not too bad @ £2700. Still got my hire car for another 5 days so all is good. I could have pushed for more but to be honest I think that is a fair price on the market value.

...back to car hunting. Either another cheap bugeye or a Mondeo ST220 I think is on the cards.

Thanks for the support.
Old 18 April 2013, 08:44 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

i think thats a fair payout too
Old 21 April 2013, 09:47 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

so I managed to sort myself out with a new ride.... unfortunately it isn't a Bugeye! I mean I am nearly 23 but I feel I would like something a little more refined and comfortable for a few years. If I had the money I would love to get a new Impreza! In fact hopefully in a few years when funds permit I will as I do love the cars.

Anyway I am back to Ford, love them or hate them they do good value for money! Got myself an ST220 and headed over to the ST forums if anyone goes over there... http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/top...w-st220-owner/

My 3L V6 is worse on fuel than the Bugeye and hasnt got that push you back in your seat feel, however it does have its benefits!

I will also point out despite poor reviews Admiral handled my claim very professionally, efficiently and to a high standard. The whole process to under 4 working days with a very fair payout! The hire car arrived near immediately and I feel valued as a customer. They also have some of the cheapest policies I have ever seen and they allowed me to transfer the remaining 10months of policy onto the ST220 free of charge!

Anyhow I will still check out the forums and one day I will get myself a lovely newer STI that I always wanted.

Cheers

Quick Reply: The death of my lovely Bugeye....