Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a turbo second hand issue question?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2013, 06:47 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a turbo second hand issue question?

I recently bought a turbo.
It was sold as good condition and was still making expected power.
I had the seller send it straight to somebody to have it rebuilt and have a billet wheel fitted.
Upon stripping the turbo the exhaust side is damaged.
The buyer would be completly unaware of this as he could never have seen the damage without stripping the turbo. I was told i could not get any warranty if i left the core as it was.
Thankfully the turbo company have a spare good condition core which they charge me £70 for on top of the cost of the original rebuild and billet wheel fitment.

Should the original seller pay some of this?

Opinions welcome?
Old 09 February 2013, 07:17 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

No because as you said there was no way he could of known unless the turbo was stripped down,it was most probaly working fine when he was using it.what company did you use? Any respectable company who knows turbos could of thought that after splitting the turbo housings and seeing the cores condition that to get there warranty that they supply with there work that the core which is at the heart of a turbo was not up to there specification and needed changing.just forget about the seventy pound and just know that you now have practically a new turbo with a warranty..SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 09 February 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09 February 2013, 08:34 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

fair enough I have personally say I would have paid at least half the cost of the new core as a good will gesture but that is just my opinion everybody thinks differently
Old 09 February 2013, 08:48 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Your not alone,i probaly would of offered somekind of good will gesture,but not all good minds think alike.have you spoken to the guy you bought the turbo off of to let him know about the situation regarding your purchase from him yet?
Old 09 February 2013, 08:53 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Usually I think with second hand sells it's "sold as seen" within reason.I think you've learnt a good lesson here that sometimes it's better to buy new and be done with it.but saying that there is some good deals to be had and money savings buying in the second hand Market.just get the turbo on your car with the billet blades and enjoy.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 09 February 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09 February 2013, 08:56 AM
j976rna
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt expect the seller to pay any of it,as theres no way he would of known, and it was making power, if you sold a car to someone and the cambelt snapped a week later, would you foot half the engine rebuild?, its one of those things you take a chance on, especially a second hand turbo
Old 09 February 2013, 09:04 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j976rna
i wouldnt expect the seller to pay any of it,as theres no way he would of known, and it was making power, if you sold a car to someone and the cambelt snapped a week later, would you foot half the engine rebuild?, its one of those things you take a chance on, especially a second hand turbo
I hear ya,but what if the said seller of the car said that the cam belt was changed last week before he sold it to you then it snapped would your thinking be different?it really comes down to who you feel you can really trust in my opinion that's why the feedback system is a good one once it is used properly.from first hand dealings with sellers or buyers it should give a good indication whether you should spend your hard earned money or not.SJ.
Old 09 February 2013, 10:10 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

I have contacted the seller. He was willing to pay half of the cost.
He was not to know and it was sold in good faith I just wanted people opinions on what they would do in the scenario.

I recently gave a refund on something that was found to be faulty. It was fine when i sent it but damaged be either the person that bought it or the courier
Old 09 February 2013, 10:42 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Nice end result.SJ.
Old 09 February 2013, 11:11 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Nice end result.SJ.
he agreed to refund 50% a while ago I just wanted peoples opinions on what they thought was fair
Old 09 February 2013, 11:33 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

i'd be tempted not to take the money off him if he offered it without too much fuss, he wasn't to know but still offered

maybe it would be nice of you as a good will back not to accept it?

for an extra £35 you've got a pretty much sorted turbo plus if you ever buy off him again the gesture will go a long way

if i was the seller the only thing that would put me off offering money back is the thought that the buyer was having one over on me
Old 09 February 2013, 11:49 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I hear ya,but what if the said seller of the car said that the cam belt was changed last week before he sold it to you then it snapped would your thinking be different?it really comes down to who you feel you can really trust in my opinion that's why the feedback system is a good one once it is used properly.from first hand dealings with sellers or buyers it should give a good indication whether you should spend your hard earned money or not.SJ.
Hmmm bit different though that. The seller didn't say it was new or changed the week before did he. If the op genuinely believes it was an honest mistake then I would be inclined to leave it as that. Seems an honest guy for offering the 35 squid back anyway.
Old 09 February 2013, 01:01 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold the md321t which ran fine in my new build. Made 445bhp
As I'm a nice guy and he's told my the turbo has a damaged shaft, I'll give half of the cost
I think that's fair, and most sellers would just fob ppl off

Wiley
Old 09 February 2013, 01:29 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Top man wiley.