Sponsored by:

Rattles - where do they come from?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2001, 12:07 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Has anyone located the points of the annoying rattles eminating from the trim on their Scoobies?? (I dont want any obvious smart Alec answers, like I am the worst rattle!! OK?)

I have located a couple:- one is the rear electric window switch panels!!

The other is where the trim rattles against the rear quarter window (in a 5-door) - the trim seems to be loose????

Mine is a MY00 - did the earlier cars rattle and vibrate badly??

Pete
Old 21 April 2001, 12:35 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete,

My previous MY98 rattled like hell! As you stated above + various other annoying little places.

The P1 seems to be much better...however there are still annoying little noises.

The passenger and drivers windows seem to emit strange noises at speed...but maybe we shouldn't go down that route (this was apparant on the way to Spain last month!!! )...

Also there is an annoying little rattle somewhere on the dash...to date I haven't found it *sigh*...despite oiling the girlfriends earings!!!

I also had a rattle somewhere in the engine bay, it was more metallic than any thing else...the local dealers found the problem this morning - a broken alarm bracket of all things!!! apparantly caused by excess rattling/vibration!!

Other than that....mine seems to be fine.

The one on the rear electric switch panels...are they in the rear...or the switches in the front???

Rum
Old 21 April 2001, 12:43 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

No rattles in my MY00, however, the passenger seat squeaks, but only when my g/f is asleep (and snoring) in it
Old 21 April 2001, 12:51 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

only noise i hear is the slight thud of roses being thrown at my car by supermodels!

Cant really hear too much because of the noise from exhaust and filter, but the top storage space on dash squeaks a bit

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 21 April 2001).]
Old 21 April 2001, 01:16 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh yea...my passenger seat squeaks as well...but I get over that with either opening the window or turning the stereo up!!!
Old 21 April 2001, 01:22 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mothercare, Boots, stealing them from prams.

Have I missed the point?
Old 21 April 2001, 07:25 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got 2 really annoying noises in my P1. The worst is from the left rear window (2-door remember) and I've taken ALL the trim and seats etc out and I reckon it's the sindow/frame itself...any ideas how to fix this anyone?
The other noise is a vibration when I declutch at more than about 5k revs...sound like something nder the bonnet is loose and zinging when the clutch opens.
The only solution so far is to wind the windows down and drive through a tunnel at full bore...ye hah!!!!
Old 21 April 2001, 09:17 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sw_Hunt, you may well find that the 5000rpm buzz is caused by the pipes adjacent to the bulkhead. They need gently prising away. My MY00 made a horrible din until some kind chap on this BBS told me what the problem was. I was convinced the clutch was gone...took 30 seconds to fix
Old 21 April 2001, 09:23 PM
Simon Graham
Scooby Regular

And I thought it was just my car that rattled!

The plastic that covers the sides of the seats (split fold on 5 door) squeaks all the time.
The worst one is from somewhere near the jack/nearside rear wheel arch.
Iaske dmy 'friendly' local dealer and the reply was "they all do that"! JD Power in action.....

Old 21 April 2001, 09:46 PM
Luke
BANNED

For a good cure try "DYNAMAT" or any other type of Bitumen material. This will help. Also if you have any of the fitted material come off Inside doors, Under Carpet ,Underseal etc then this could cause a rattle

You know where this is going !!!(I cant keep it up!!)
Old 21 April 2001, 10:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

PTMW! has various rattles. Apart from the Ledas when cold, we have a squeaky passenger seat (without wife), squeaky rear bench seat - more so with someone actually sitting on it - and speakers that vibrate/resonate at all sound ranges. N/S/R whistle from window too.

WTF - turn the stereo up!

Old 21 April 2001, 10:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

If the car does'nt rattle at least one little bit, then it's not been driven properly . Guess that's why mines quiet
Old 21 April 2001, 11:43 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

MY00 5dr
Rattle in panel in boot area on n/s - cured by padding with foam tape.
Rattle from boot security cover - got it swapped
Rattle from n/s rear seat back- sorted by manual adjustment with knee!
one last rattle to sort but cannot find it yet, just as well one has an F/O stereo then!
Matthew

Old 22 April 2001, 08:05 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys,

Re the sqeeky passenger seat, I had this as well. Drove me nuts, more than any other rattle or sqeek.

But my ace dealer fixed it at the service. It wasn't the seat atall but the safety belt catch thing that was squeeking.

As for other rattles I have an annoying one that comes from just behind me, and I find myself driving with my head pushed as far back as I can trying to locate the poxy thing.

The other is when one of the kids opens a back window at speed, and you shut it, it doesn't seal properly. Then you have to stop open the door and shut it again to seal it.

Rattles started at about 12,000 miles I reckon.

Dave P
Old 22 April 2001, 05:35 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Wink

MY99 - 4 door owned from new, no squeeks or rattles at first

Rattle from cubby hole (only after 1/12 yrs of use tho) - cured by stuffing it full of cleaning and polishing rags

Rattle from passenger seat when empty - move it forward or back a bit (variable results though) Roumour that it is seat frame and can be replaced by dealers, although untried by self :/

Rattle from rear lh rear/side passenger side - untracable (turn up sounds cure)!!!

Zinggy noise @ 4000 (suspected heat shield but not)from engine bay - untracable by self and dealer - cured at 37500 service by unknown methods i.e. they didnt try but they cured it anyway

All window vibrations and related rattles - uncured feature of car (can apparently be cured by dismantling entire car and rebuilding with components made of a higher structural rigidity than sardine cans)- as yet untested by owners

<<<<<POTENTIAL FUTURE FAILURES>>>>>>

Petrol flap release cable - sure to fail due to repeated use.

All door panels and window seals - due to the repeated failure of various Dentmaster technicians to understand the flimsy nature of the beast - be aware, can cause more damage than they cure, my windows have never sealed correctly since :/

Jack flap in boot - made from destressed carboard impregnated with balsa wood shavings. Cheesy plastic tab a further sure candidate for owner distruction.

****! This has went OT, better stop now. LOL.

Old 22 April 2001, 06:03 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Talking

CLS
Cheers mate, you were right...a couple of bits of wadding behind the brake pipes against the bulkead and it's cured.

Still getting nowhere with the rear side window though...it sounds like it's about to fall out. Anyone else had this? The only other P1 I've driven was the demonstrator and that did it too. I've tried taking every bit of trim and seat out until all that's left is the window and bodywork and it's still there!!! Help!!!
Old 22 April 2001, 06:34 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave p
I too have a rattle from just behind me, it sounds like it's coming from the trim on the b post, I have had all the trim off and it still rattles when being driven, so i guess it's not that then, Anyone with any ideas please let me know, cos it's driving me absofu*inlutely mad.
Ron
PS, I too have a passenger seat squeak, pretty common that one me thinks.
Old 22 April 2001, 08:39 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sw_hunt,
Re buzzing at 5000rpm I'm glad it did the trick , My Subaru dealer said they couldn't find the fault!!!!!

Showed me how useful this BBS is as the chap who told me was a Subaru technician and said it was part of his pre delivery inspection

Good luck with the other infuriating noise!

Chris

Old 16 April 2010, 09:35 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rear o/s door card squeeks like mad, drives me bonkers already had it off dynomated the door inner and outer skins , put foam padding on the top etc thought it was cured but started again when i ragged it down a welsh lane :S , most of boot has lots of plastic vibration rattles ,dont get them on smooth bits of the black stuff (not that there are many of those in the UK!)
on rougher bits of road there is one nasty rattle coming from behind the passenger top box (where the airbag should be ! giggle) tho this only rattles over really rough surfaces

98 STI wagon.

thread revival due to shreading my hands on doors and still rattling !!! QQ

Last edited by Ginola; 16 April 2010 at 09:38 PM.