ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Leaking rear lights on classic

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2012, 09:35 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking rear lights on classic

Hi I hav changed my rear lights on my wrx classic from Lexus back 2 standard there was sum black dum dum sealer on the lights I also added some rtv sealer on an they r leaking I hav been told its common 4 the rear lights seals 2 leak has any1 experienced this n wot is the best stuff 2 use? Thanks
Old 26 December 2012, 10:18 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

It's very common, I used a black silcone from halfords I had, I know it's not the best, it's fixed the issue but I know if I want to remove the lights it is going to be a pain, there is a load of threads on here, with the right product to use, it's a non setting Sealent
Old 26 December 2012, 10:44 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

When I got my car it had L.E.D rear lights, I also went back 2 standard, Best thing I could say is clean off any old sealer etc and use some tiger seal to put the new ones in, and you should be ok, I aint had no leaks since.
Old 26 December 2012, 10:51 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Thanks 4 the advise is tiger seal like a silicone sealer that goes off (sets) on the standard lights I put in there was sum kind of sealer on then like play dough u could mould
Old 27 December 2012, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

For God's sake DO NOT use Tiger Seal, Sika-Flex, or silicone. It will seal them, OK, but you will never get them off again...what happens when some idiot in a supermarket carpark busts one for you???

The correct stuff to use is this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
It's a non=setting mastic.
Clean off all the old stuff from lights and car: old screwdriver, lolly stick, white spirit and patience.
Squeeze a 10mm bead of Carafax around the light, and press firmly into place, replace all nuts. Job's a good'un, and the light CAN be removed when/if necessary.

NB: you might need to buy a sealant gun suitable for 400 ml cartridges, Screwfix, Wickes etc. The usual ones are for 350ml.
Old 27 December 2012, 07:34 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan Hawkins
Thanks 4 the advise is tiger seal like a silicone sealer that goes off (sets) on the standard lights I put in there was sum kind of sealer on then like play dough u could mould
Yh mate tiger seal is pretty hardcore stuff, The reason I used it was I couldn't find anything strong enough everything just turns 2 mould like you said.

But alcazar has a good option you should go for that
Old 27 December 2012, 08:16 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Did u put the carafax around the studs on the light units?
Old 27 December 2012, 09:18 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
For God's sake DO NOT use Tiger Seal, Sika-Flex, or silicone. It will seal them, OK, but you will never get them off again...what happens when some idiot in a supermarket carpark busts one for you???

The correct stuff to use is this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
It's a non=setting mastic.
Clean off all the old stuff from lights and car: old screwdriver, lolly stick, white spirit and patience.
Squeeze a 10mm bead of Carafax around the light, and press firmly into place, replace all nuts. Job's a good'un, and the light CAN be removed when/if necessary.

NB: you might need to buy a sealant gun suitable for 400 ml cartridges, Screwfix, Wickes etc. The usual ones are for 350ml.
Listen to this man. I have just done mine using carafax after the last person used silicone Nice fat bead of carafax all around them and then refit. Not leaked since.
Old 27 December 2012, 09:24 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Wot about the studs on the lights? I'm guna order myself a tube of carafax 2moro : )
Old 27 December 2012, 10:06 PM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

just put some plumbers mate on them! it never sets hards so its up if works lol might try that on mine, but i think mine is leaking threw the spoiler to
Old 28 December 2012, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Plumber's mate is similar to Carafax, but tends to produce a non-sticky surface after a time. It also comes in a tin and is messier to apply
Carafax is MADE for bedding stuff like awning rails onto caravans. It won't go hard, it won't set, it remains sticky, you can remove and refit the lights at will.

I didn't put any round the studs, just on the bit where the light meets the bodywork, which is clearly defined on the rear of the light unit.

Not had any problems. It wouldn't hurt to put a thin circle around each hole on the outside, before seating the lights.