Sponsored by:

Wet boot

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2012, 11:04 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet boot

My 04 STI uk has awet boot ! how do i cure this guys ? dont want it to start any issues !
Old 06 November 2012, 11:16 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Boot rubber seal moe than likely. That's where I would start if it was me.

Perhaps put some towells underneath the biscuit until sorted, you don't want any water sloshing around in there.
Old 07 November 2012, 12:02 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Mine was the rear lights. Didnt look like it untill I got the hose on them and sat in the boot and watched it! Didn't notice till the whole boot was swimming wet
And cause the rear window to fog up .thought it was the spolier holes, also checked the boot seal. Mine was the lights, I used a black mastic and sealed them in, just hope it don't need to remove them. You can get a waterproof black gunky Sealent that doesn't dry.
Old 07 November 2012, 11:54 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I've just sorted this on my 05 STi, it was the ruber seal round the boot for me. I used some bathroom silicone after i'd cleaned it up and it worked a treat!

Best way to find out where its leaking is to open the boot then pour a load of water over the back windscreen and watch it go down the rain channels and see where it starts leaking in.
Old 07 November 2012, 06:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be, in order of likelihood:

1. Rear light seals: remove lights, clean off all old sealant replace with non-setting mastic like Carafax. DO NOT use silicone, Tiger Seal etc.

2. Spoiler holes: as above.

3. Boot rubber seal: I'd do as above again. It worked for me.

4. Rear window seal: window needs removed and resealed professionally.

5. Little flaps down inside each side of the boot sides: clean out and ensure they sit closed normally.
Old 07 November 2012, 11:30 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I had similar but stripped out boot and just kept checking inside every time it rained, was a combination of boot seal fit and lights, was much easier to find with no trim in boot.
Old 26 November 2012, 12:06 AM
spuker1
Scooby Regular

I have got a problem with a leaky boot. There's water getting in and I can't figure out how and where through. I have tried pretty much everything, I have taken all the carpets and trims out and put baby powder all over the damn thing to see where the water gets in... nothing. I have noticed that it gathers in those pits/wells/holes on the sides just by the wings, where you put jack in and then it spreads to the spare wheel area when it overflows. It takes a while though so it sloshes around all the time. I'm quite desperate now to be honest. I have watched light seals but they are all dry all the time, I have siliconed around all bolts and rubber thingies I could find, I have taken the ugly spoiler off and put bolts and washers with loads of rubber seals and silicone on so there's no chance anything will go through there and the main seal is fine too. I even thought it might be bad adjustment of the bootlid catch so I pulled it down a bit. The water still gets in and my boot pops open like a booby trap now lol

HELP?

PS. I have noticed that the water gathers much quicker when I drive about than when the car is just parked up.
Old 26 November 2012, 12:09 AM
Huntyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does this since I've put my STI spoiler on the WRX ... didn't seal the spoiler holes correctly .... just put some clear sealant right the way round the spoiler
Old 26 November 2012, 12:16 AM
spuker1
Scooby Regular

I have taken the spoiler off completely and put bolts with massive washers in all the holes with thick rubber seals and sealing every 'layer' with plumbing clear cement... It's not the spoiler holes mate
Old 26 November 2012, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Has it ever had a new rear screen? Mine leaked..........
Old 26 November 2012, 03:42 PM
spuker1
Scooby Regular

No, it haven't... I will try to re-seal the lights again. Hope it works.
Old 26 November 2012, 05:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT seal ANYTHING using silicone, Tiger-Seal Sika-Flex, plumbing glue etc etc.

You need to use the right sort of stuff, which this is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

It MUST go beween the thing you are sealing and the bodywork, so UNDER the lights, having taken them out and removed as much of the old stuff as possible, UNDER the boot seal, UNDER the spoiler, UNDER the heads and nuts of any bolts, etc.
Also make sure there is an UNBROKEN ring around any holes in the bootlid for wiring, etc, and where the bolts pass through, plus on the lights prior to reseating them.

Use anything else, and you won't be sure of a seal. You WILL be sure of extreme difficulty getting things like lights off again, should you ever need to
Old 27 November 2012, 10:24 AM
spuker1
Scooby Regular

Ok, thank you mate. I will give that a go.