Sponsored by:

WRX Bug eye - n00b modding advice

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2012, 11:07 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX Bug eye - n00b modding advice

I have a 2002 WRX on 72k, I have had it a few weeks now and not having owned a 4x4 before - I have been driving it and getting to know the car. So far, I have learned that on a slippy day like today, few cars can live with it and 2nd/3rd gears are awesome.

Im thinking of keeping the car for a couple of years and happy to spend upto a grand on it over the next few months, but I honestly have no idea where to start.

For those that have been there an done it, is the below a good place to start and are the prices about right if I buy smart?
boost gauge 50
strut front 60
strut rear 60
coil overs 350
exhaust 200
induction 100
mapping/chips ??

Am I likely to make a good car unreliable and if so should I chip it and save my cash for an Sti next summer?
Old 03 October 2012, 11:18 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Exhaust second hand should see less than 200
Panel Filter 50 (Dont bother with induction kit or blow off dump valve)
Remap (Ecutek) 500ish

If its a UK WRX running about 215bhp as standard you should be able to get up to around 260-70 with these 3 mods. Any higher and you will need a bigger budget as bits will need to be changed i.e turbo/injectors/3 port boost solenoid. Any more then you need to start looking at better brakes as the wrx ones are woeful if running high power.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:23 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it breathing better and a remap. Then I'd go for brakes, or at least better pads.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:50 AM
Jammedsix
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty noobish to scoobs ,luckily i got one (UK300) with all the upgrades you mentioned with ppp/mapped plus more done but at some stage I will be upgrading to STI...totally different animal IMO
Get the power upgrade and brake pads as a minimum if you are gonna keep it until next summer and feel you need the extra power,otherwise I would save for the STI,Better car all round.

You can map a WRX to STI Power and above but at the end of the day it will still be a WRX

All IMO ....

Last edited by Jammedsix; 03 October 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:54 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

dont believe anyone who tells you a wrx and an sti are the same car when running the same power.

this is called sti envy.

the sti is a far more capable car, 6 speed box,avcs heads,better brakes......
Old 03 October 2012, 12:17 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Brakes, decent set of pads and possibly braided lines will make a big difference firstly. Pads £140ish, hoses £68ish.

Green cotton panel filter or simlar to make it breath better. £39

Cat back exhaust to also make it breath and sound nicer. £250-£300

They would be my first things to change. The rest is really depends on where you want to take it, power/styling wise. For a bit more power an open source remap is roughly £350 which should see a bhp rise from 215 to 260ish or there abouts, every car is different.

Styling wise a decent set of coilover such as the popular BC coilovers go for around £600 but remember you then have the cost of fitting and 4 wheel alignment after. You could also just go for lowering springs on your shocks but this can reduce the life of the shocks. Also the front and rear anti roll bars are a well worth upgrade at some point.

Inside I just went for a standard a-pillar boost gauge which sits nicely in the corner to keep an eye on levels.

Wouldn't bother with strut braces to start with IMO.

Give the lads at Scooby clinic a shout, Adam or Kev will talk you through all your options. Great bunch there also.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:03 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

The thing is having a turbo car is that it is rude not to up the boost for a little more power!

Thanks for all the advice and yes, I know its not an STi - I got this for pottering about to work in and I just really love driving it and have the bug a little.

Im not looking to turn the car into something worse that it already is. Dont get me wrong, some of the cars on here are immense, but about 10 years ago I turned a Golf GTi into something that couldnt deal with normal roads, was undriveable due to racing cams and clutch, noise from induction (i know) was a pain and the exhaust boomed at speeds over 60 onthe motorway and I was paranoid about leaving it anywhere as it stood out, which also meant that the fuzz were constantly pulling me over.

So I basically want power without the pain... am i asking too much?!?
Old 03 October 2012, 02:05 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by bigballs
The thing is having a turbo car is that it is rude not to up the boost for a little more power!

Thanks for all the advice and yes, I know its not an STi - I got this for pottering about to work in and I just really love driving it and have the bug a little.

Im not looking to turn the car into something worse that it already is. Dont get me wrong, some of the cars on here are immense, but about 10 years ago I turned a Golf GTi into something that couldnt deal with normal roads, was undriveable due to racing cams and clutch, noise from induction (i know) was a pain and the exhaust boomed at speeds over 60 onthe motorway and I was paranoid about leaving it anywhere as it stood out, which also meant that the fuzz were constantly pulling me over.

So I basically want power without the pain... am i asking too much?!?
then get a standard sti, a remap will see 330 to 340 easily and you can run standard airbox and exhaust so it will be quiet and easy to drive and comes with brembos and better suspension as standard
Old 03 October 2012, 09:27 PM
jobbie
Scooby Regular

whiteline uprated rear arb and solid droplinks

less than £200, best value mod youll ever do!