Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manufacturers using the same chassis, parts...

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2012, 10:06 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manufacturers using the same chassis, parts...

Does this not bother anyone else, so you buy an Aston Martin and it will be a Jaguar chassis, or you buy a vehicle and it's got another manufacturers engine in.

Got me thinking, does the classic Impreza, or any impreza's share chassis or parts, i'm pretty sure a few bits around the car are used in other vehicles, like bonnet catches?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 17 November 2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 24 August 2012, 10:10 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Didnt Saab cant remember which one 97???share the same shell as the new age impreza?
Old 24 August 2012, 10:12 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i know there are some pissed off tvr owners............they have vauxhall cavalier rear lights i think i read somewhere,cant remember which model
Old 24 August 2012, 10:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

it was a tvr Griffith,the rear lights were turned upside down
Old 24 August 2012, 10:17 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

It absolutely makes sense though from the manufacturers point of view, standard parts or parts already being made are cheaper than bespoke parts.
Old 24 August 2012, 10:18 PM
MichaelB
Scooby Regular

Saab 9-2X. New age wagon. US market only
Old 24 August 2012, 10:21 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelB
Saab 9-2X. New age wagon. US market only
What does SAAB have to do with Subaru though, do you think SAAB would have simply apprached Subaru?

Originally Posted by scubbay
It absolutely makes sense though from the manufacturers point of view, standard parts or parts already being made are cheaper than bespoke parts.
Yeah but in my veiw when you buy a car from say Aston, it should all be Aston, you are payng 6 figures.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 17 November 2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 24 August 2012, 10:25 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Why though? What difference does it make if the headlight bulb holder is bespoke to an Aston or is shared with an Astra? The Jag chassis is obviously capable of performing well enough for Astons spec, why make a new one? Doesnt make sense from an engineering or economic point of view. Trust me, if every manufacturer used bespoke parts for every part on their cars, cars would be a lot more expensive!
Old 24 August 2012, 10:34 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

With cheaper cars it's not such an issue, but when you are buying a car that is really expensive and it's not entirely bespoke, then, what are you paying for, it's just along them lines of thinking really and the fact the chassis and engine are being used else where.

Parts like alternators and all don't bothered me but the chassis, body parts, interior and engine do simply becuase you have bought something to be different and the last thing you want it so feel like you are getting into a Mondeo when you have a Jag even though they are/were owned by the same group, the jag had originality once, now it's all shared.

Originality, that's it in one word.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 17 November 2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 24 August 2012, 10:37 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saalro
What does SAAB have to do with Subaru though, do you think SAAB would have simply apprached Subaru?
The then parent company of SAAB being General Motors also had some kind of stake in Subaru, so they merely pinched the Hawkeye wagon and plonked a restyled front end on it and hey presto the 9-2X was born.

Having worked in the auto trade for over 20 years you would be surprised at the collaboration that takes place, for instance quite a few parts in a Subaru car are supplied by the parts divisions of Mitsubishi, Nissan etc.

Here is an interesting one for you - Renault own/have a controlling interest in Nissan and they share components as you would expect, but both are competing for the same customers in the same market segment with same specs and the same engines.

Yet Nissan are cheaper in nearly all cases, that is because the parent company is only interested in selling driveline products and components and not really whole cars.

They may all compete for your business but they are all in bed together.

Originally Posted by Saalro
Yeah but in my veiw when you buy a car from say Aston, it should all be Aston, you are payng 6 figures.

Thanks
Sam
That is because at one time both companies were owned by Ford, Aston Martin, Jaguar and Volvo shared a lot of components and still do. The sat nav in an Aston and Jaguar was a Volvo developed system, the keys were the same as well just with different badges, some Aston models had Ford flip keys which cheesed the owners off no end when they saw the key from a Mondeo on their keyring.
Old 25 August 2012, 09:35 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

been happening since the dawn of time..........

alyn