ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is This A Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2012, 11:18 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is This A Scam?

Ive had my car advertised on Pistonheads for a couple of weeks now and recived lots of intrest. I have just recived this email. Seems a bit strange to me

hello I am French I am interested in your subaru have picture of you I am ready to make the trip to pick her up.

My Phone No: 0659122198
My Email Address: charles.fougere@gmail.com

By the way,i have no pictures on Pistonheads. If they want pictures i will email them
Old 25 June 2012, 12:06 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Sounds abit dodgy! if he's interested send him some pics and if he's interested in it and wants to travel over get him to leave you a deposit via PayPal!
Old 25 June 2012, 12:07 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Bent as mate! They have also tried it on my audi cab i got for sale! Have had loads of them they even send you. Credit on a paypal screen for the amount and then they say u must pay the 400 or however much they make up to a weston payment something or other and then the funds will be released lmao! Yet when i log in to paypal (the proper sight!) there is no trace of these payments, there just out for a fast one mate! You will probably get the"hi im away working on an oil rig and ita for my son" bull **** an all!
Old 25 June 2012, 12:26 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Make them give you a deposit either over Paypal or via bank transaction IBAN (though, it demands a lot of trust to give someone those details). IF he says something about cheques, shut down communication instantly.

IF he is really willing to make the trip HIMSELF (and doesn't later claim he can't, but will send a lorry or van or something like that) and actually shows up then it can't hurt.

Also get yourself one of those banknote-checkers that banks have to check the money is not fake. Over here you can buy these things in any shop dealing with books or paper. I don't need to tell you what to do with it.

Considering his English is bad (most French are quite anti-talent for foreign languages) and if he really DOES intend to come to you I can't see why it should be a scam. Not all Europeans are out to scam you Brits out for everything you won. But have that note-checker ready anyway.
Old 25 June 2012, 02:05 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

A good rule of thumb is they will ring you if serious and not just email ...... if he can't be bothered to pick up the phone then can he really be bothered to makes this long journey across?
Old 25 June 2012, 02:08 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Bent as a £9 note!!
Old 25 June 2012, 02:15 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Serious buyer will always call, emails and texts just get ignored when I'm selling a car.
Old 25 June 2012, 02:24 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Serious buyer will always call, emails and texts just get ignored when I'm selling a car.
Not always true, The last two cars I've bought have been 100% email.

An RA and my current Type R, The only times I've rung them is to confirm directions on the morning I've left to collect the cars.

But it does seem a dodgy email calvin
Old 25 June 2012, 03:05 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I always call when interested in a car. I like to get a feel for the sort of guy the owner is, if it's all "yea bruv, it's wicked etc etc etc" I just hang up.
Old 25 June 2012, 03:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I always call when interested in a car. I like to get a feel for the sort of guy the owner is, if it's all "yea bruv, it's wicked etc etc etc" I just hang up.
i agree works both ways too, if a buyer phones and asks genuine questions rather than "is it well fazt m8" always a good sign.

not saying people dont text to ask questions but id always phone to arrange a viewing.
Old 25 June 2012, 04:32 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

He maybe asking for pictures but his message has been muddled in the translation.

My advice is to insist on cash on collection. Do not take Western Union or moneygram cheque.
Old 25 June 2012, 05:15 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. I will email him back with pictures and see what reply i get. Will definately be cash on collection only though
Old 25 June 2012, 05:49 PM
Wag1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just get a deposit, My last car someone from germany bought it and travelled over 1 evening, sometimes worth giving people a chance.
Old 25 June 2012, 10:54 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wag1
Just get a deposit, My last car someone from germany bought it and travelled over 1 evening, sometimes worth giving people a chance.
I know that Subaru's are pretty rare in France so ive sent him some pictures and said its cash on collection only. Just wait and see now. Did sell a car to a guy from Ireland before so it could be genuine.
Old 25 June 2012, 11:00 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
I know that Subaru's are pretty rare in France so ive sent him some pictures and said its cash on collection only. Just wait and see now. Did sell a car to a guy from Ireland before so it could be genuine.
If it needs trailering away, or on a Lorry. I'll do it for a fee
Old 25 June 2012, 11:04 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
If it needs trailering away, or on a Lorry. I'll do it for a fee
I think he may have his own if he's coming from France
Old 25 June 2012, 11:05 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

I think he may have his own if he's coming from France
Never know, and worth the punt. If he pays in advance we could take it so you can get a bit more ££.
Old 26 June 2012, 07:16 PM
Wag1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its amazing where guys would travel from for the right subaru! Shocking to think he spent 1 night collecting different cars, He ran a car garage out there buying from england then registering and selling them over there, Made some good profit on them to!
Old 27 June 2012, 01:05 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Bent as mate! They have also tried it on my audi cab i got for sale! Have had loads of them they even send you. Credit on a paypal screen for the amount and then they say u must pay the 400 or however much they make up to a weston payment something or other and then the funds will be released lmao! Yet when i log in to paypal (the proper sight!) there is no trace of these payments, there just out for a fast one mate! You will probably get the"hi im away working on an oil rig and ita for my son" bull **** an all!
Thats a bit severe. Funnily enough i am away from home - Russia- and am looking to buy my son a car in the UK right now

However, my son or wife would attend to view any car i located.....

The problem is all these scammers spoil it for the honest people, w@nkers....
Old 27 June 2012, 11:58 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Well after i emailed him back saying i wanted cash on collection i have'nt heard from him
Old 27 June 2012, 03:30 PM
scoobyman.matt
Scooby Regular

A french guy had my sti off me, he spoke little english and i initially thought it was a scam. E ventually i managed to get the deal done with him.

BUT ONLY ON THE BASIS HE COMES AND COLLECTS IT WITH GBP'S IN YOUR HAND!!!
Old 27 June 2012, 03:36 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Well after i emailed him back saying i wanted cash on collection i have'nt heard from him
If he does tell him GBP only. Not euros or you will pay a % to change them over. Plus you have more chance of spotting forgery's if paid in the currency your used to.
Old 27 June 2012, 06:16 PM
chrislake90
Scooby Regular

I had a similar email from a guy in france working for a drama production company who wanted to buy my audi a3. i had my doubts but the guy put £500 in my bank through bank transfer and 2 weeks later arrived to pick it up. very genuine nice guy but did all seem very strange at first!