ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tell as many people as poss

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2002, 07:16 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mail that was sent to me......

“I hear we are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, in the USA, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking petrol priced at about 77p a litre is super cheap. Me too! It is currently 79p - 83p for regular unleaded in some towns. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p-80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol. But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation o f people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! acting together we
can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.”
Old 07 May 2002, 07:20 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Smile

Already been done by Rob Mo

Also had 6 emails toaday from Various people

Must be working then

Phil
Old 07 May 2002, 07:37 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sent to every one in my email address book 289 people
Think ive done my bit for now will send same mail again next week
Old 07 May 2002, 07:39 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

By far the biggest petrol seller on here I guess would be Shell due to optimax. This you will porobably find with any car related BB as it teh fuel with the highest RON rating. Some people dont like it but I think they are seriously in the minority. So yes count me in as I wont buy any of them except for Shell.
Old 07 May 2002, 07:57 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Tell me I'm wrong but I think it's a crap idea!

Oil companies sell petrol at a loss, besides which, why shouldn't they make money, good luck to em I say!

Why don't we go after the government, afterall it is them charging summat like 86p in the pound tax on the stuff[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bob
Old 07 May 2002, 07:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

This won't work.

Suggest muppetisation of these and future threads.

BTDTGTTS
Old 07 May 2002, 08:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Did anyone do a trace on the source of this, bet you find it comes from an ip address from a pc in shell's head office

only joking.

I think the first thing that would happen is that people who have franchises of petrol forecourts will start laying staff off, then further staff would be laid off by the oil companies before they reduced any prices. I say go for the government as well.
Old 07 May 2002, 08:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

exactly put a few out of business so the ones that are left can charge what they like. The guy who mentioned the tax was spot on. If the oil companies gave the stuff away it would still cost a fortune to fill up due to the tax.
Old 07 May 2002, 09:01 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

I agree with whoever said 'go for the government' its them ****** that set the price of petrol !!!

Old 08 May 2002, 08:36 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

WOW people agree with me
Old 08 May 2002, 09:32 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have posted this on other boards..great idea.
Old 08 May 2002, 09:43 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

er.. I feel Petrol tax is a fair tax
lets face it the more fuel you use the more you use the roads the more tax you should pay. What’s wrong with that?
The problem comes when all the money from that isn't then ploughed back into the roads / public transport. If it was I wouldn't have any argument against. If you want to lobby parliament, lobby them about reinvesting in roads and public transport not tipping money into the bottomless pit known as our dire "public services".

What would you prefer another penny on income tax? They have to get the money from somewhere or you start arguing for privatisation.

I really can't stand some of the "sheep" mentality that is created by the crappy tabloid papers (that’s not aimed at ppl here too much) but it winds me up when they all jump on the same bandwagon [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].
btw I change my mind on these points more often than the wind changes direction
Old 08 May 2002, 09:59 AM
ChrisB

Oooo look, deja-vue of the deja-vue I had on Monday

Old 08 May 2002, 10:01 AM
ChrisB

"If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!"

Last time I counted, the population of the UK was only circa 52 million
Old 08 May 2002, 12:06 PM
Ex-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

So everyone manages to send it to 10 people who've never received it from anyone else... yeah right
"You just aren't a mathematician. But I am..."
Really? More like an idiot if you ask me... (not intended at original poster, just the guy who had the original idea).

The point is that OPEC set the price of crude, which filters through to the price of petrol - but the vast majority goes to the government. I wouldn't object to this if the vast majority went back into public transport and the road system, but it doesn't - and that's what makes me mad [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].

Nice try, but it won't work for a whole variety of reasons (biggest users are company car users and don't pay for petrol, a lot of people on here use Shell (Optimax) and not Esso/BP anyway, people fill up at wherever is most convenient (especially when you get through petrol as fast as Scoobies!), etc etc).

There is no answer to this one - the government needs the money one way or another, so if it wasn't taken out of the public via petrol tax then it would mean another penny or two on income tax. Simple economics...

Richard
Old 08 May 2002, 05:14 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

This is a waste of time as we all know... anyway in the last 3 weeks the price of fuel in Swindon area has dropped on average 1p a litre a week... go figure.

JonW
Old 08 May 2002, 06:48 PM
AshSparks
Scooby Newbie

Great idea done my bit hope it helps
Old 08 May 2002, 08:25 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

As some people have pointed out, the government will get it's cash one way or the other.

<Climbing into flame proof nuclear bunker>
(I'm all for charging the smokers, but that's only because I don't and I like driving)

Old 05 August 2002, 05:01 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

er.. I feel Petrol tax is a fair tax
lets face it the more fuel you use the more you use the roads the more tax you should pay.

Dizzy - thats not true !! if you have a diesel for example, plus nearly every other car in the universe uses less fuel per mile than the sort of cars most of us have !!
I think its a ******* stupid tax and should be lowered, why should I subsidise this poxy **** governments problems more than I already do.

The price of a barrel of crude oil is cheaper now than during the gulf war etc, but the price of petrol is horrendous ! and now that Iraq is flogging its oil will we see a drop in petrol prices. Like **** we will

[Edited by carpet - 5/8/2002 5:03:58 PM]