Sponsored by:

Aquamist

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 12:36 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok Adam, just forget completely about my Aquamist setup... go on.
Old 11 April 2001, 12:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Moray/Adam: Are you two married?

Old 11 April 2001, 10:34 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Does anyone out there use Aquamist on their Impreza ?

I have a UK94 running 1.3bar controlled via an APEXI boost and fuel controller. I can't go much above 1.3 as it suffers from det.

Would an aquamist system help, or would I be better going for a link or motec ECU ?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 11 April 2001, 10:58 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark

RichR on this bbs has it, I think it rocks

I am sure he can help

Rdgs
R
Old 11 April 2001, 11:23 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Go for a link without a doubt, it will allow you to run more boost (if properly mapped), without det.

The aqua mist is great, theer are a number of different systems, and also some great suggestions for future systems too. my good friend R19KET has been running this system for some time, and I believe Pat has too. It will reduce charge temperature significantly, and hence likelihood of det and is cheaper than the link, but I would rather have a proper map controlling things, and then look at gaining more, before trying to cure a det problem.
Old 11 April 2001, 01:06 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

We are more than internet pals, and jokes do pass back a forth bewteen us, but he just can't stand the fact taht I am intellectually his superior, and that when you turn the key in my car, the engine fires, somethng he is not used to .
Old 11 April 2001, 03:31 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Talking

Moray: ouch thats gotta hurt

Iain
Old 11 April 2001, 03:37 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Could someone tell me what in the world happens when your aquamist runs out of water ?

Does the Link / Motech / Boost controller etc actually know it's run out of water (a float sensor maybe ?) and reduce boost / retard to a pre-aquamist map ?

Or are you reliant on a knock sensor of some sort to do the appropriate thing once it realises you are detting ?

Gary
(Who would be paranoid about running out of water)
Old 11 April 2001, 03:47 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Think I'd want a bloody great red light fitted to the dash to let me know thats its out of water

Oh and if ECU's can compensate for loss of water all the better !!

Old 11 April 2001, 04:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

To my knowledge the current breed of ecus do not alter the map.

One way is to map it without water inj then add for safety but if performance is what you are after, fit a float switch, I know R19KET has done this, can't comment on morays but is irrelevant, given that he didnt fit his "conrod snapping in two" sensor in time, I wouldn't trust his input in this respect .

From what I have been told, the normal boot tanks being about 15 litres, the water injection uses so little, that you will fill it up far often than you would think necessary, so are very unlikely to run close to empty. I have heard that it uses barely a litres per tank of fuel, but ask Firefox or R19KET for detailed figures.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 11 April 2001).]
Old 11 April 2001, 05:28 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Litcho,
Why aren't you on the slopes at 3:30 in the afternoon ? What a waste. P.S. I've sent you mail.

All,
Aquamist system is OK, got it on my GT4, however, I am concerned with the number of pump failures on my car and (so it seems) many others.

My car is mapped assuming the water injection isn't there and is there only as a safety. However, it has made a noticable difference when coming out of town/traffic jams from heat soak situations.

I have the water injecting post chargecooler.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 April 2001, 06:04 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Right... That's it! It's too late for apologies now... Adam... I will be coming down to your tiny bit of London in the next couple of hours and I am going to subject you to a damn good hard stare.
Old 11 April 2001, 07:08 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Moray, I refuse to reply to your immature post with some significantly better chosen quip.

To quote one of your postings from many moons ago, "I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

I merely want to add that I may have been wrong about the consumption of water in the aquamist system, I am told it is possible for it to "drink" upto 0.5l per minute.

I must go now, my jelly and ice-cream is getting warm.

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 12 April 2001).]
Old 11 April 2001, 07:32 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
If you set the Aquamist/water tank system up correctly, you're no more likely to run out of water, than you are fuel.

There are two main systems.

1S: Basic, very easy to fit, and set up. More than adequate for most applications.

2S: Is a more advanced system, that allows the water to be mapped against boost/rpm. This system also has built in safety features, such as an LED that comes on if a jet is blocked, let alone, senses a lack of water !!!!!!! However, this system is much harder to set up, and the main benefits would be seen in conjunction with a re-mappable ecu.

The MoTec has the facility for an external temp sensor input, which could be used to reduce boost, if a programable temp is exceeded.

A simple sender unit on the water tank, and LED on the dash, will give ample warning. I use a custom tank, mounted in the boot. It holds about 12~13lts, and the sensor is placed with about 4lts left. The tank supplies both water injection, and water spray.

Water injection can use up to 250ml of water pm, but water spray can use even more.

I've been using the system for about 18 months, without problem. I believe there were one or two problems (water ingression, damaging the pump pcb) on the early pumps, if they were fitted in an exposed place. The latest pumps are very well protected, but may fail if poorly positioned.

Mark. ps. Adam, I hate you

Old 11 April 2001, 09:35 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I am also considering getting an aqaumist system to go with my Link ECU when(if? firefox? )fitted. I have a couple of questions:

1) I take it the system 2S would be preferable?

2) Should i fit it before the Link is fitted or after? How difficult is it to integrate the system into the Link ECU?

Thanks
Phil.
Old 12 April 2001, 01:01 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Phil,

There would be some small power benefit from the 2S system, but it would be very small. You would be unlikely to feel the difference, unless the engine was mapped on set up on a bench dyno.

The main benefits would be the safety features, and it's more economical on water.

With the 1S system, you work out the max amount of water you need, based on the fueling, det' prevention, intake temps (depending on your aims). The water volume is adjusted by the jet size. The same amount of water is supplied regardless of boost/rpm.

This system works very well, but uses a lot of water, relatively.

The 2S system uses the MF2 injector controller. The amount of water can be adjusted in increments of 500rpm, and it will adjust the water proportionately to boost.

It would be worth starting with the 1S system, as it can be upgraded to the 2S, if you think it's worth while.

Mark.

Old 12 April 2001, 01:24 PM
presspahn
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Mark.
Best suggestion is you buy my WRX sti running 1.6 bar
Malcolm
Old 12 April 2001, 08:10 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Thanks, and you've just answered my next question too: jet size's.

There is an Aquamist supplier in my home town, so i will investigate this mod further with them.

I think i have seen RichR's photo's--another question:
Is the Samco hose between the intercooler and inlet manifold available from Powerstation only? or can anyone get hold of it?

Thanks
Phil.

P.S
Moray,

I hope you are not using your moderator status for personal gain, however, that said LOL @Moray and Adam

[This message has been edited by Clarey (edited 12 April 2001).]
Old 12 April 2001, 08:44 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I don't have the faintest idea what you mean...

(I wouldn't say "personal gain"... "unfair advantage" would suit the conditions better. )
Old 13 April 2001, 01:22 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I don't use the Samco hose, and I'm not certain if PS are the only supplier.

It does make fitting easier, depending on what set up you go for. There are a couple of places to position the jets. If your IC is working pretty well, then a jet after the IC will work well for det'/cylinder cooling. If the IC isn't cooling the intake air too well (most Scoobies reach circa 65deg'C, WOT) then a jet before the IC will help a lot. Alternatively, two jets can be used, one before, and one after the IC.

This works very well, but has one or two inherent problems to set up correctly, and is best used with the MF2.

Mark.