Sponsored by:

Lotus Elise?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 02:14 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Did you know the new Elise has a 14 month waiting list with a 2 year wait on the cards by the end of April?

Just thought I'd share that with you!

I've never driven one personally, but does anyone know whether they are any good?

How do they compare with the Scoob, do you get frustrated with the lack of power?

Thanks
Old 11 April 2001, 03:03 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

I don't think that there would be any "frustatration with lack of power". Remeber, power to weight ratio an' all that...! Can't be far off the scoob, if at all?
Old 11 April 2001, 03:11 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

True

I think the ptw ratio is better than the current WRX @ 168 as apposed to 158 BHP (off the top of my head), but isnt BHP more about top end pull? Is this where the Elise falls down?

Also what about noise, comfort etc, is this a problem or do you just live with it and enjoy it as it is really a sportscar? I had a Integra Type R and got sick of it as an everyday car.

[This message has been edited by Jamie Whitfield (edited 11 April 2001).]
Old 11 April 2001, 03:15 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

noise = lots
comfort = little

If you got sick of an Integra type R as an everyday car there is no way you would be able to cope with a Lotus Elise.
Old 11 April 2001, 03:16 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

True
Old 11 April 2001, 03:33 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Ok

Thanks for that! Just wondering thought that'd be the case!
Old 11 April 2001, 03:37 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I think you would find the in gear acceleration at higher speed the only thing lacking, as it gets off the mark quickly enough.
I was looking into one as well, and they do seem to be very good cars, though a lot tougher to live with than a Teg, and massively different to a Scoob.
Power delivery, comfort, practicality, and safety differ so much, you would need to be certain its something you could live with after the relative comforts of a Scoob.
It may jump a few more powerful cars up to about 50MPh, but after that, its going to struggle a bit. Raced one in my Teg on Saturday morning (not a great indicator, I know, but case in point), and sure enough, he was away from standing, but I was pulling on him quite quickly when we were getting up to any real speeds.
You battled to live with an R? perhaps a BMW 318i would suit sir [ ]
Old 11 April 2001, 04:05 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ho ho ho
Old 11 April 2001, 04:47 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this for a few opinions (including my own )
Old 11 April 2001, 06:57 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Red face

I am surprised your ITR struggled from low down as this where the ITR is strong to. I dont have a problem in a straight line or off the mark, but loose marginally round corners. Perhaps it had one of the many engine upgrades ??
Old 11 April 2001, 07:02 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I had an Integra R once......
It was a great car to drive, but bloody tiresome on a motorway haul.
Also, the VTEC thing - (especially with the 'R')...very fun at first, but bleeding annoying after a few months......no power until you hit the magic 5700rpm & then all hell lets loose.......The scooby as a day-to-day car beats the lot - low end grunt without having to make a scene in public dont you *all* think ????????
Plus, getting into an elise day-to-day requires an on-call chiropractor

Gastro
Old 11 April 2001, 07:52 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

The thing about the Elise, is that it is the soul brother to the scooby. That is why the Scottish_Elises and the SIDC are so close. We both arrange and go to each others Knockhill track days, and join up for the Sunday runs. I do the Tour d'ecosse each year with 20 Scoobys, and it is one of the high points of the year. On the track, the lap times of a standard Elise and a standard Impreza are very similar. The roller skate loses out on the straights, and gains on the corners. I have a tuned Elise, N1 TUT, and it is virtually identical in performance to a 22B or P1, on the road or track.

To my mind, they are both the best of their breed, but one is far more practical than the other. However for me, I may be easily pleased, but I have a car that I would not change for any other, regardless of price.

Happiness is riding shotgun to four or five first team, 300hp Scoobys, in the first week of November, on the TDE.

tut
Old 11 April 2001, 08:02 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Aha !!!!!! N1TUT - so you frequent here as well!!!!!! I got a track lap or two with you last summer at KH..... Got the clam shell replaced yet after the *small* bump last year ???
I'm a good friend of Imlach's who you know (I think)......
Any more action in the 'copter this year??

Regards,

Gastro
Old 11 April 2001, 09:49 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

I totally agree with you Gastro!

And thats why I got rid of my ITR, you can't compare it to the Scoob really and I always did! I think I might be brave and get a WRX.

I do agree that they are the best of their breeds and very close but I think I'll stick with what I know best - the good old Scoob, every time I drive one I can feel myself smile, no matter what, its never been a car thats p1ssed me off, and it looks the part, and you can carry 4 ppl!

One day I'll afford both!

Cheers again lads!
Old 12 April 2001, 12:13 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Okay, enough knocking on the Teg, the main poit is, is the Elise as good as its waiting list dictates?
It used to be a niche market, but now it seems everyone wants to be seen in a 2 seater convertable (preferably made by Lotus), just like a couple years ago, everyone wanted to be seen in a Rally car.
It just reflects market trends, so regardless of whether it deserves the waiting list or not is beside the point, there will always be tons of people buying them for their image, rather than for any other qualities the car has.
I like them, excellent car, and Lotus are where Subaru were with the Impreza Turbo in 1998/1999, there really is nothing on the market to touch them for the price, in that particular sector (yes, there are VX220's, but they're Vauxhalls for about the same price, Vauxhall vs Lotus? know which one Id rather have) couple others, but Lotus have the small convertable market in their hands now. Its "the" car to have.
VTEC, okay, since you started it, I cant understand this preoccupatiopn with masses of torque in situations where you cant possibly use it.
Its always "its difficult to drive in town, cause there's no torque", okay, so you're in town, are you really going to want to boot it to the next lights? is this M*x P*wer? the torque in the Teg is plenty, its not exactly slow below VTEC, so how it can be a problem in towns, I dont know.
Motorways, if you're below VTEC its quiet and easy going, if you need power, change down and overtake, if you find you have to change gears too much, buy an automatic.

Edit: "I am surprised your ITR struggled from low down as this where the ITR is strong to. I dont have a problem in a straight line or off the mark, but loose marginally round corners. Perhaps it had one of the many engine upgrades ??"
Type R, it wasnt a huge diff pulling off, but they are quicker to get moving, 0-60 something like 5.4 secs, so comparable to your R, but mine takes its time, takes around 6.5 secs to get there (yawn), but once its moving, it is quicker.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 12 April 2001).]
Old 12 April 2001, 08:40 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

At the end of the day we buy different cars for different uses. Scooby is an excellent car on Road, Track, off road you name it, I bought my CTR primarily for Track use and then road use. At the mo doing about 600 miles a month.

I looked at a Scooby/Evo and Elise, all 2nd hand and found Elise to many £'s at the time, the Subaru/Evo - parts and fuel made it too expensive for track use so i went for a compromise.

I will keep my CTR for a few more years yet.

Admitedly i would have bought an Elise if the price had been a couple of grand cheaper.
Old 12 April 2001, 02:32 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

I went from a lotus elise to an interga type-r. I reckon the thing is that with the elise you know what to expect. Its an oversized kart with lights. So, for example, wearing earplugs if you've got to go on a motorway doesnt feel stupid because thats what you expect just by looking at it.

The integra actually looks like a "real" car - especially when its in the showroom next to the civics. But in reality its even more focused than the elise - definatly a harder ride, more nervous on a motorway and in the same ball-park noise wise. This is ok if you're expecting it, but most people dont. Evo say "+ one of the best drivers cars we know; - to raw for some". Spot on.

Got to agree about the torque & vtec stuff though. I like having to work to get the power - its safer around town and its more involving when on the track. Maybe a motorcycle background helps here, but each to their own i guess.

jon