Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info needed on ECU is it standard??

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2012, 06:45 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info needed on ECU is it standard??

Hi guy's
Im having the afr's cheacked on my car tomorrow, i have just looked see if it was standard ecu and on the casing there is a stainless badge that says.. ZERO/SPORTS Racing Development??
Is this a standard sti ecu?? my car is a 1998 classic inpreza.

If not any info/help onto is it any good and is it mappable?

Regards steve
Old 15 April 2012, 06:53 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, Sometimes you get stickers etc on the casing of the ECU but dont really tell you what is in there, as some people have put there Uprated ECU systems in the standard housing, Check ur paperwork you might find a receipt or something if its an after market one to be fair depending on the spec of your car mods etc you will know if you need an After-market ECU, If not its probably just standard
Old 15 April 2012, 07:03 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

No paper work on the ecu when i brought the car, its got the stainless badge on the ecu case with (zero/sports racing developments) there is a silver sticker below that with blue writing its got a big number 75 then numbers which are..
22611 AE360
A18-000 D66
UNISIA JECS CORPORATION

Its just got a straight threw exhaust system with a re-circ waste gate pipe that goes back into the down pipe and a air filter so not really all singing and dancing..
Old 15 April 2012, 07:16 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost luver
No paper work on the ecu when i brought the car, its got the stainless badge on the ecu case with (zero/sports racing developments) there is a silver sticker below that with blue writing its got a big number 75 then numbers which are..
22611 AE360
A18-000 D66
UNISIA JECS CORPORATION

Its just got a straight threw exhaust system with a re-circ waste gate pipe that goes back into the down pipe and a air filter so not really all singing and dancing..
Hmm there was a website that used to tell you what code stands for what but I cant remember what it was, With the mods you got I doubt it you would have needed an uprated ECU but you never know, Leave the codes up and some one on here might be able to shed some light on it for you mate
Old 15 April 2012, 07:26 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JECS were the manufacturer of the OEM ECU...

Shaun
Old 15 April 2012, 07:48 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Are they mappable? Every time I let off the throttle when it's warm it pops and flashes come out the exhaust maybe zero sport is a jap chip they put in some sti ecus?? Oh well will find out tomorrow
Old 15 April 2012, 07:58 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Yes, Zero Sports is one of a number of very well known Japanese tuning firms that produced (effectively) generic chips for subaru ECUs. Similar to "Mines", "Prova" etc.

The chips are, to the best of my knowledge, not mappable, although some of them are EPROM based and can be mapped by swapping ROMs out, no mapper is going to want the hassle of trying to map that way.

ETA: note that the map on the ECU will be adjusted, running probably more boost and more ignition than the standard ECU, with speed limiter removed, suited to a stock or near-stock setup.

As others have pointed out, it is possible (although unlikely) that the ECU has been swapped out for an aftermarket ECU. Easiest way to check that is to confirm there is a blue label on the big yellow connector on the ECU that says "000 D66" in two lines of text. If so, you can be sure it is the JECS ECU inside and not an aftermarket.

Last edited by Sprint Chief; 15 April 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:12 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

No label on the plug, it looks like the loom has been joined upto the yellow plug that goes into the ecu as it is all joined up in electrical tape (a nice tidy job)
Would I be best off getting rid of that ecu and getting a standard ecu? Or can the standard not be mapped as every company I speak to want sell me a esl board but didt really want fork out that much
Old 15 April 2012, 08:38 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

No blue label? Seems odd. Might be worth putting a photo up of the insides of the ECU so you can confirm whether or not it is standard. I'm not aware of zero/sports removing that label.

And no, the standard OEM ECU is not mappable without installing a daughterboard. The daughterboard converts it into a mappable ECU.
Old 15 April 2012, 09:12 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the info do I need upgrade the ecu for more power so the boost/timing/afr can be changed? I just want about 350/350
Old 15 April 2012, 09:49 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

I don't know what the zero/sports are capable of achieving for that year of car but yes if you want 350bhp you really should be looking at making the ECU mappable.
Old 16 April 2012, 06:51 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost luver
Thanks a lot for the info do I need upgrade the ecu for more power so the boost/timing/afr can be changed? I just want about 350/350
ESL Daughterboard will make yours mappable, replaces the chip.

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/

JGM or Racedynamix can do those inc mapping.
Old 16 April 2012, 04:53 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
ESL Daughterboard will make yours mappable, replaces the chip.

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/

JGM or Racedynamix can do those inc mapping.
Thanks mate.

Had my fueling checked today with a wideband drove up and down motorway everything was bang on, also no det/knock so happy days, i just need get a lambda as my idle is up and down a little bit, does anyone no which is the best lambda to get?

Regards
Old 16 April 2012, 04:57 PM
bobby260480
Scooby Regular

Hi Buddy, Mine had a zero sports sticker on the ecu casing but it was a standard ecu for a 1998 sti import, and its not mappable as it is.
Old 16 April 2012, 05:08 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobby260480
Hi Buddy, Mine had a zero sports sticker on the ecu casing but it was a standard ecu for a 1998 sti import, and its not mappable as it is.
Hi mate
It may well be all standard inside although it does run 1.1 bar i just wanted get the fueling checked and make sure there was no det, as from what iv seen they are mapped for the 100ron fuel.
I will save up and get the daughter board fitted in the next couple of months