Nother Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2012, 11:21 PM
icbm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nother Newbie

Hi all,

I'll soon be buying a blob eye WRX. I currently have a Freelander of which the performance (or lack of) is killing me. I've owned numerous quick cars: M3, S3, Type R, Clio 172, RS Turbos etc!

My question (one of many no doubt!) is whether i should get one with the PPP kit on it? Does it make much difference? There are some very nice cars out there that are completely standard with low miles. I know I'll want more power eventually!!

Cheers
Old 06 March 2012, 11:58 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

From a wrx owner who was bitten by the power bug

Buy an STi
Old 07 March 2012, 01:21 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Welcome - I've had a classic STI saloon and it was fun; quick in standard form as well. My current WRX hawkeye doesn't feel as quick, but I'm hoping a re-map would sort that out. The PPP option does make a difference, but the STI is the way to go if you're after more power etc. Here's what I found...

I drove a blob STI and a blob WRX with PPP back to back a couple of years ago, and the difference is clear. The WRX with PPP was quick, but not in the same league as the STI, which felt much more crisp and urgent, and the power delivery was different as well. The 6 speed box helped, as did the brembo brakes.

Slightly off topic, but hope that helps a bit. I chose the WRX simply because the dog won't fit in the saloon properly, so the hatchback / wagon style was a good compromise for me.

Don't get too hung up on the PPP kit; you can get the standard car and then get it re-mapped properly, which can deliver the same effect if you also change the exhaust & air filter (panel filter is best and easy to do)

World of difference between the WRX and the freelancer though, I'm sure you will enjoy it
Old 12 March 2012, 01:37 AM
icbm
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info

I'd orginally wanted an STI, but can't quite stretch to it, plus i need to fit a towbar so i think the WRX is a good compromise. I've got a fairly fast motorbike so speed thrills can come from that. I reckon I'll coax more MPG out of a standard WRX as well!!

I've been looking at performance package options but looks like they're about a grand! Maybe one thing at a time. I'd ideally like the performance of my old remapped S3 (circa 250bhp...quoted as 265!) which seemed ample, but just didn't have the handling! I live in the middle of nowhere too, so the element of 4wd (and winter tyres) is needed for sure! Something the Freelander really was good at!

The standard WRX's seem to be looking more appealing and also appear to have less miles. I either like the completely standard look or full STI spec, but nothing in between!
Old 12 March 2012, 09:58 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Yeah, know what you mean about snow covered roads! Another reason why I went for the WRX was the slightly softer suspension. Have a search on here about re-mapping results and costs - £1000 for a dealer fit package is probably about right (PPP pack) but you can get an air filter for about £40 (uprated panel filter is plenty for what you have in mind such as green, cosworth, Pro-R, etc.). I've heard of guys getting open source maps for £300 or thereabouts, which should bring the WRX into the same ball park as your S3 I reckon. Standard EcuTek remap is about £650, which covers licence costs and then subsequent EcuTek remaps are cheaper. Plenty info on here tho, and yes the all wheel drive plus snow tyres is a pretty good combination that will keep you moving in winter