Sponsored by:

How long until engine siezes?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2012, 04:31 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long until engine siezes?

I've got my motor outside (although it lives under a cover), and I have had no oil in the sump for the last 5 weeks or so.

How long can I leave it like this until I should worry?

I was going to install an oil cooler but I need to rest up for now for my health and can't be reaching down into the engine bay and doing physical stuff like that for some time.

The drain plug is back in and the motor is sealed apart from the dip stick hole etc, it is not like the head is off or anything.
Old 18 February 2012, 04:35 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get some oil in and run the engine to circulate it rather than leave it as it is now .
Old 18 February 2012, 04:44 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
I would get some oil in and run the engine to circulate it rather than leave it as it is now .
Well obviously but that was not my question...
Old 18 February 2012, 05:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll be ok as it is. There will be a boundary layer of oil on the working surfaces. You may consider turning the engine over a couple of times by hand, every couple of weeks.
Don't forget to spin the engine on the starter (with plugs out, if possible) with the CPS disconected to prime the oil system (especially if you install an oil cooler!) when you re-fill. I assume you're keeping the battery fit by occasional charging?
JohnD
Old 18 February 2012, 05:27 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Should be fine as long as the spark plugs are installed to stop moisture getting in. Just don't turn the engine over al all until you have oil in it. I wouldn't expect and seizures from being stood for many years. Even if you put oil in it would only drain to the sump from being stood so its pointless putting any in. You may want to cover the air intake and exhaust to prevent moisture entering that way.
I would say when you come to start later on and have put oil in to spray some wd40 through the spark plug holes but that's not so easy on a scoob.
Old 18 February 2012, 06:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

He he it's an RB25 actually.

...and I have a rag bunged in the 'zaust.

Battery is disconnected.

Yeah my feeling is it would be ok for a few months at least so long as water can't get in
Old 18 February 2012, 06:02 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Don't forget to spin the engine on the starter (with plugs out, if possible) with the CPS disconected to prime the oil system (especially if you install an oil cooler!) when you re-fill.
Yeah sure I was gonna do that when I first fill after the cooler is installed.

Still the cooler is higher than the natural oil level. Does it all drain out when the engine is off?
Old 18 February 2012, 07:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It'll be fine.

Remember oil in the sump is just in the sump, thats where it stays. Whatever is in the rest of the engine drains back to the sump over time.

The only thing I'd do is put a few squirts of oil in the cylinder bores and hand crank one or two turns to stop any surface rust getting on the bores. Everything else important will already have a coating of oil from the last time it ran - even after standing for over a year.

The old engine in my Landrover stood for 10years without being started. It was a 1969 engine, was laid up to rot on the side of a valley outside of Newtown in 1989 and after re-commisioning in 2000 it ran perfect.

It lasted another 3yrs until I split the oil filter and broke the timing case around the oil pump whilst off roading and killed it (it didn't blow, just lost all the oil and after it was repaired it only had 5psi hot idle oil pressure )

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 February 2012 at 07:16 PM.