ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How long until engine siezes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/925607-how-long-until-engine-siezes.html)

tony de wonderful 18 February 2012 04:31 PM

How long until engine siezes?

I've got my motor outside (although it lives under a cover), and I have had no oil in the sump for the last 5 weeks or so.

How long can I leave it like this until I should worry?

I was going to install an oil cooler but I need to rest up for now for my health and can't be reaching down into the engine bay and doing physical stuff like that for some time.

The drain plug is back in and the motor is sealed apart from the dip stick hole etc, it is not like the head is off or anything.

johned 18 February 2012 04:35 PM

I would get some oil in and run the engine to circulate it rather than leave it as it is now .

tony de wonderful 18 February 2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by johned (Post 10494131)
I would get some oil in and run the engine to circulate it rather than leave it as it is now .

Well obviously but that was not my question...

JohnD 18 February 2012 05:08 PM

It'll be ok as it is. There will be a boundary layer of oil on the working surfaces. You may consider turning the engine over a couple of times by hand, every couple of weeks.
Don't forget to spin the engine on the starter (with plugs out, if possible) with the CPS disconected to prime the oil system (especially if you install an oil cooler!) when you re-fill. I assume you're keeping the battery fit by occasional charging?
JohnD

chopperman 18 February 2012 05:27 PM

Should be fine as long as the spark plugs are installed to stop moisture getting in. Just don't turn the engine over al all until you have oil in it. I wouldn't expect and seizures from being stood for many years. Even if you put oil in it would only drain to the sump from being stood so its pointless putting any in. You may want to cover the air intake and exhaust to prevent moisture entering that way.
I would say when you come to start later on and have put oil in to spray some wd40 through the spark plug holes but that's not so easy on a scoob.

tony de wonderful 18 February 2012 06:01 PM

He he it's an RB25 actually.

...and I have a rag bunged in the 'zaust.

Battery is disconnected.

Yeah my feeling is it would be ok for a few months at least so long as water can't get in

tony de wonderful 18 February 2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 10494190)
Don't forget to spin the engine on the starter (with plugs out, if possible) with the CPS disconected to prime the oil system (especially if you install an oil cooler!) when you re-fill.

Yeah sure I was gonna do that when I first fill after the cooler is installed.

Still the cooler is higher than the natural oil level. Does it all drain out when the engine is off?

ALi-B 18 February 2012 07:09 PM

It'll be fine.

Remember oil in the sump is just in the sump, thats where it stays. Whatever is in the rest of the engine drains back to the sump over time.

The only thing I'd do is put a few squirts of oil in the cylinder bores and hand crank one or two turns to stop any surface rust getting on the bores. Everything else important will already have a coating of oil from the last time it ran - even after standing for over a year.

The old engine in my Landrover stood for 10years without being started. It was a 1969 engine, was laid up to rot on the side of a valley outside of Newtown in 1989 and after re-commisioning in 2000 it ran perfect.

It lasted another 3yrs until I split the oil filter and broke the timing case around the oil pump whilst off roading and killed it (it didn't blow, just lost all the oil and after it was repaired it only had 5psi hot idle oil pressure :( )