Sponsored by:

why no takers?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2012, 11:51 AM
mark_j
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no takers?

Hi I have listed my classic on a famous internet auction site, I searched similar models, with mileage and condition and based my price on those that had sold. I would appreciate some sensible feedback and perhaps suggestions as to word the ad more appropriately, for those decent folk that are prepared to help, I will PM the link as I do not wish to have this post removed by linking directly.

much appreciated.
Old 26 January 2012, 11:58 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What other sites you put the car for sale???

Pistonheads is a good site to sell cars!!!!

As long as you have the important info like Mileage, condition, service history, and other receipts that you may have with the car, along with Tax and MOT expiry dates. I think that pretty much covers it. Also good pictures say a thousand words. Make sure you spend a good day polishing and waxing the car and take some good photos, Im sure will get you more viewings

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 26 January 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 26 January 2012, 12:05 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

gumtrees good and free, what are your photos like? The most annoying thing i find is when ads have out of focus/half car shots, take good photos outside and in always helps
Old 26 January 2012, 12:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

put the add on here so we can see where you're going wrong.

My guess would be its too expensive, they're not the cheapest cars to run at the minute are they
Old 26 January 2012, 12:06 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I sold a Evo VI GSR a couple of years ago, I spent 2 days cleaning/detailing it, took some good pics, then locked it away in the garage, 1st person to view the car when I opened the garage said "WOW that is clean" pretty much knew it was sold then and even told me he felt cheeky if I knocked any money off, so sold it him for the full asking price!!

Here is the link to my old advert!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...t-no-61-a.html
Old 26 January 2012, 12:08 PM
TonyBeau
Scooby Regular

A lot of it's based on the write up. There are a lot of ads that state the basics and get lost next to ones where the seller has added a lot more information about the car, including service history, bits added etc. Also really clean photo's taken from interesting angles to let people know you are enthusiastic about your car and therefore more likely to have looked after it properly.

This should generate more interest.
Old 26 January 2012, 12:13 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2509780281...d=310185274978

this is his car
Old 26 January 2012, 12:22 PM
TonyBeau
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamo
The lack of information isn't too great. The opening line would put me off straight away "I'm listing this car for a friend". Sounds half hearted and slightly dodgy tbh.

Provide more details, such as MOT and Tax left on the car, if it has new tyres or recent brake service, cambelt change etc say so. Say how many services it's had, who did them if they were from a reputable company. Tell people who did the remap as if it was done by a reputable mapper then this sort of info makes a difference.
Old 26 January 2012, 12:27 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Also put one extra full photo of the car on that hasn't been taken at a Batman-foe angle

Great pics but the jaunty angle might be off putting to the sort of people that get confused when reversing
Old 26 January 2012, 12:30 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

I'm looking for a Subaru at the minute and as someone has said above as soon as I read your first line on eBay I would probably go onto the next ad
Old 26 January 2012, 12:35 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burbs
I'm looking for a Subaru at the minute and as someone has said above as soon as I read your first line on eBay I would probably go onto the next ad
I agree 100%
I'd also be looking mainly for tax/mot dates, plus the last clutch and cambelt replacement info.
Old 26 January 2012, 12:48 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Ok, here is what is wrong with the advert:

1. Pictures are awful, taken at w@nky Max Powah angles - get some straight wide angle photos, show the condition of the driver's seat bolsters.
2. The interior doesn't look that clean, or the whole car for that matter. - give it a proper clean, wax & spruce up - cleaning the windows on a car makes a huge difference.
3. The advert wording is negative & tells me **** all about the provenience of the car itself. - What is the service history like, who has serviced it, what other items have been replaced, cambelt, waterpump, etc...
4. The "i'm listing it for a mate" line is a total put off - gert him to register on ebay or put it on Pistonheads/Autotrader/Scoobynet

There you go - sorry for the harsh words, but you FAIL at car adverts. If I were looking for an impreza I would stroll past your advert.

Get it sorted, get it sold.
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

E bay advert is terrible!!!

Nothing there to make you excited, Got to make the buyer excited about buying the car. I always get excited about buying a new car, but I want the advert to make me think that its the best car out there for the money. Unfortunately your selling a Subaru Impreza which there are thousands of adverts as its a common car, also its silver which is also a common colour, So you need your car to stand out from the others.

Price and Mileage for a Version 6 STi are spot on personally!!! I sold the same model car and spec last year with a lot more miles for same price, so it cant be the price!!!
shorty87
Scooby Regular

"Just to remind you all, if you have questions you will need to contact mark directly as I know nothing about the car, thank you."

Thats probably why no takers, if i were looking for a car and read that I wouldn't know whether to go through ebay or call the number, plus not really enough info i usually end up with 2/3 good sized paragraphs for car ads. Try and add in any service history, rough time of last service, how much mot and tax left, better explanation about import, better interior shot, details about the remap (where done and how long ago), and a bit more info about what an STi is as not everyones aware they are the better models (i'm new to scoobies so still figuring out wrx/sti which is better etc) and how many previous owners.

Thats just a few questions I'd still have after reading that ad
Old 26 January 2012, 12:50 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

i think its all in the detail, put it all down on there in a structured kind of way. For me when reading an advert i always feel better when the seller has covered every angle - servicing history, any issues, tax / mot, etc
Old 26 January 2012, 01:01 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

Heres a quick outline of a minimum of what i'd be looking for to spend that much money on a car:

I have for sale a 2000 Subaru Impreza STi version 6
Imported from (country) in 2000 when it was brand new, and since then has had (number) owners.
It is MOT’d until (date) and taxed until (date)
Currently on 61000 (will go up still in use)
It has full service history (or part?), with most services carried out at (garage name) the last service was done at (mileage) so will not need another for (amount) more miles.

As standard the imported STi models are top of the Impreza range with ???bhp and many other benefits included such as ...(6spd gearbox/interior/intercooler etc I’m not good on impreza models so add in details!!) Also comes with air conditioning, electric windows, remote central locking and factory fitted alarm system (??) as standard.

On top of this my car has had a remap at (tuners name) in (year), it has also had fitted a (brand name) full stainless steel exhaust, (brand name) panel filter which have taken it to 330bhp (state whether you have a rolling road print out to proove or not)
It has also had (name and size) wheels and a data monitor (explain what this does)

The car is available for viewing in Wells, Somerset

Any questions ask away!

Thanks for looking and good luck

- let people message through ebay and if necessary reply with your friends number, giving his name as if he'd written the ad.

Last edited by shorty87; 26 January 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 26 January 2012, 03:25 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Another thing that puts me off buying a car (not in your advert), but when the pictures are taken outside a rough looking boarded up house, with a couple of young chavs hanging out of and around the car with **** in their hands, you'd think these people would have the sense to find a nice grassy area and tell there mates to sod off for half an hour..
Old 26 January 2012, 05:34 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Nice car ,but one the things that puts me off personally is why do people never show a picture of the most important part of any car imho :the engine.You can polish the outside & make it look nice & shiny ,but looking at the state of the engine can tell you if the car has been looked afterby the previous owner.
Old 26 January 2012, 05:36 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Crap pics, crap add and it's up for too much, which has not been mentioned. so as above, but if you want it gone needs to be up for £3200 and expect to get £3000.

Sorry.
Old 26 January 2012, 06:38 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

does look a clean car, photos crap though, as said selling for a friend is a big no no plus where you are doesnt help, too far to travel for most, cars tend to sell well if you are more central
Old 26 January 2012, 10:52 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I have been fairly fortunate selling cars on ebay and if I may add to the mix, I completely agree about the pictures. It gives me the impression that the dynamic shots are making up for something, as though you know it looks rubbish and are trying to spice it up a bit.

I try and include a picture of my home from the best possible angle to offer some reassurance that this isn't a selling hoax as well as adding a personal touch making it more inviting to ask questions and develop a rapport with the potential customer. Within the shot I look for anything that detracts from the overall picture, e.g. wheely bins, untidy garden etc. You want to send a message that says you look after your possession.

Last week I sold my brother in laws Jaguar for the full asking price. I put "selling on behalf of my brother in law" and this made no difference. However I did say "any questions please dont hesitate to ask". I didn't give any contact details of my brother in law until first contact had been made. I also invited any inspection, no one ever has taken me up on this but it reinforcing the fact that I have nothing to hide.
Old 02 February 2012, 01:02 PM
mark_j
Scooby Regular

Thank you shorty for your advise, have re-done ad, so what do you think now?
Old 02 February 2012, 01:25 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good to me. I was reading all the comments and thinking, what are they all talking about a rubbish ad. I never saw it before the revamp. Hopefully it works for you.
Old 02 February 2012, 01:39 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

ebay has never worked for me, nor has autotrader to be fair, however pistonheads works a treat. I put my car on there 1 week ago at 8am, by 10am it had sold for the full asking price, a year prior to this i put my car on at £6,495 and by the same evening it had sold for £6,300. I always stick to pistonheads and especially with performance cars as to be honest that's where your target market are.
Old 02 February 2012, 01:40 PM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

Looks good.
Old 02 February 2012, 02:03 PM
mark_j
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mestonian
ebay has never worked for me, nor has autotrader to be fair, however pistonheads works a treat. I put my car on there 1 week ago at 8am, by 10am it had sold for the full asking price, a year prior to this i put my car on at £6,495 and by the same evening it had sold for £6,300. I always stick to pistonheads and especially with performance cars as to be honest that's where your target market are.
Noted & thanks, ad on there too
Old 02 February 2012, 02:33 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

That reads really well, it's got loads of info too which is great as it means people can research a bit into the people who've done the work and brands used if they'd like to.
Definite improvement in the ad description, hope it helps with the sale

Another site that I've found works well is gumtree, its free too which is always good! Put my golf on there last week when the subaru was all fixed, someone rang me that day, came to view the next and brought it. It's quite handy as the adverts are categorized locally so people who contact don't usually have to sort out a trip to find you!
Old 02 February 2012, 07:24 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

The advert reads a lot better, a few spelling mistakes, but certainly readable.

The photos are still sh1te, you have pictures for the car with shadows going over the doors, still no engine picture or a photo of the boot.

Do the following:

Wash the ******, clean the glass & wax it.

Go somewhere nice where there aren't any shadows over the car & take the following pictures:

Both sides, level shots
Front - level shot
Rear - level short
Front - angle so you get the drivers side, bonnet etc
Inside - good photos of both front seats
Engine bay
Boot - without carpet in showing the spare wheel & that the car hasn't had a rear-ender.
Provenance - Both sets of keys, V5, MOT's, Service history & car manuals if you have them, all nicely laid out.

There you go!