Sponsored by:

EGT probe

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 08:58 PM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT probe

Hi peeps just thinking about something and wondered if anybody is in the know .wrx has an EGT sensor in the up pipe as standard .yes ? Ok so when u decat the up pipe you remove the sensor and delete it or put a resistor in the wiring harness .this is mainly done for safety in case the sensor breaks up and goes into the turbo .with me so far. .ok then why is it different for some running modded cars to have an aftermarket (defi ,pros port) EGT sensor and gauge fitted to complement lambada guage .as it recommended to fit the sensor probe in the up pipe or off number 3 cylinder .are these probes less Likley to break up or just taking the risk that nothing will happen
Cheers guys n gals

Last edited by hoyty; 25 January 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 26 January 2012, 02:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to say,i'm running EGT aftermarket gauge with EGT probe just for one reason,when you are using ALS temps going up very fast and at 875-900C is recommended to turn off the ALS,due you can damage turbo and other bits,but this depends on turbo

In your case,i would ask mapper if its possible turn off EGT via SW,which working well or you can go route of resistor.

If you are want fit STi up pipe which doesn't have EGT hole,you must have this resistor or go via SW(Romraider and other OS),some aftermarket Up pipe have too EGT hole which is usually bunged

Jura
Old 26 January 2012, 11:11 AM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

Thanks jura I understand that my point is that you don't put the standard sensor back because with out the cat in place it could break up and go in to the turbo .so how come people fit aftermarket ones if the risk of break up is the same
Old 26 January 2012, 11:15 AM
Sheffscott
Scooby Newbie

Sounds interesting
Old 26 January 2012, 12:52 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoyty
Thanks jura I understand that my point is that you don't put the standard sensor back because with out the cat in place it could break up and go in to the turbo .so how come people fit aftermarket ones if the risk of break up is the same
I understand your point,many people will tell you aftermarket EGT is stronger and last longer and many aftermarket ECU(on Syvecs you can monitor EGT if yo have fitted aftermarket EGT K-type) don't use EGT signal as essential like OE ECU and many people like to monitor this mainly for reason which is when running ALS or when racing etc.

And many people fitting this just for peace of mind on aftermarket ECU or just as i said for monitoring like me or datalogging(this is on my list to do for my Syvecs,fit EGT K-type for monitor/datalog )

Risk or break up aftermarket EGT is little bit less common like OEM,OEM EGT has been designed for another purposes.

Few months back when i've run OE EGT and OE ECU i've get EGT error code and car just stall everytime when i touch the throttle or put to any gear,this happens 1 year when outside has been big freeze...

Jura
Old 26 January 2012, 12:54 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

the egt in the uppipe is a cat on fire sensor so it is pointless once the cat is removed.
I just unplugged mine (no resistor) and check engine light went away with my mapping.
I dunno why anyone would fit an aftermarket egt in the uppipe tho?