£6K TO SPEND

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2012, 04:47 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £6K TO SPEND

Hi

My bro is selling his Forester and Golf and looking at getting either a Bug wrx sti and just mapping it or bug/blob wrx and spending £3k on upgrades.
I know the STI has better breaking, bigger turbo, susp, 6 speed box etc but if you spent approx £3k on a decent wrx and £3k on upgrades would it be as good or better than the STI ?

Just to point out I'd go Bug STI remap and know I had a decent base for 400+ BHP if I ever wanted to but my bro's mate is selling him the idea of wrx plus £3k of upgrades. I recon a wrx with 3k spent on it wouldnt be far off, prob just the 5 speed box that will let it down.

Your thoughts are all welcome.

Rich
Old 04 January 2012, 04:53 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

point you towards my car for sale ! you will get a hundred different opinions on here lol

350/350 is max i would go for on both cars

Last edited by craigo; 04 January 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04 January 2012, 04:58 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well he can buy my Bug Sti and still have a grand to spend on tinkering, plus it has 360-370 to boot

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...preza-sti.html
Old 04 January 2012, 05:00 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you spend £3K on the car and then £3K on mods when you come to sell you won't have a £6K car.

If you spend £6K on a bug STI, its a £6K car when you come to sell (or whatever market dictates)

The point being, buying a cheaper car and spending the rest on mods will lose you money.

Also, running costs between a WRX and STI are very similar. If you mod the WRX you may find it costs more to insure than the STI.

Even standard I recently got quotes for 05 WRX and 05 STI and the WRX was more expensive.
Old 04 January 2012, 05:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Wise words from Edd!

Also, it's a common misconception that a WRX and STi with the same power are the same animal; they're not- they feel very different and the STi will feel subjectively quicker because of the way the power is delievered (even if it isn't objectively quicker), it has different heads, cams etc... and of course, the 6 speed box.

STi evertime I say!
Old 04 January 2012, 05:05 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Well he can buy my Bug Sti and still have a grand to spend on tinkering, plus it has 360-370 to boot

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...preza-sti.html
hello mate, car wars
Old 04 January 2012, 05:09 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Wise words from Edd!

Also, it's a common misconception that a WRX and STi with the same power are the same animal; they're not- they feel very different and the STi will feel subjectively quicker because of the way the power is delievered (even if it isn't objectively quicker), it has different heads, cams etc... and of course, the 6 speed box.

STi evertime I say!
6 speed boxes were only used because the new shape cars became so heavy. more power was needed to lub more metal around
Old 04 January 2012, 05:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bigarf has a hawkeye 2.5 STI for a wee bit more, he should at least try one first ?

dunx
Old 04 January 2012, 05:36 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I dont think hes bothered about resale value more driveability, power and reliability. Re WRX Could you not have a engine rebuild with better internals,bigger turbo, better discs and pads, white line drop links with arbs front and rear. STI front and rear susp or coil overs. front mount and remap for bout 3k. That would get to about 350/400 wouldnt it ? But if you got a STI ot should make that just after remap shouldnt it ?

STI id say.
Old 04 January 2012, 05:45 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

You can get the best looking scooby for 6k, a blobeye sti
Old 04 January 2012, 06:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by craigo
6 speed boxes were only used because the new shape cars became so heavy. more power was needed to lub more metal around
But we're not talking about classics vs new age, we're talking new age WRX vs New age STi or classic Turbo 2000 vs Sti if you prefer. Either way, the Non-STi will feel slower than the STi at the same power level because of the way the power is delivered, gear ratio differences etc...

The 2.0 new age STis with the 6 speed gearbox didn't have significantly more power than the classic STis on the five speed - they were at the japanese market's "gentlemans agreement" of 276bhp or thereabouts that operated at the time.

That only changed with the PPP pack for the 2.0 STi and the 2.5 STi engine, which has used the same 6 speeder since. I believe the 6 speed boxes were introduced not to cope with the power, but because of the extra ratio making for more relaxed motorway cruising, better fuel economy at that cycle etc..
Old 04 January 2012, 07:42 PM
TonyBeau
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
I dont think hes bothered about resale value more driveability, power and reliability. Re WRX Could you not have a engine rebuild with better internals,bigger turbo, better discs and pads, white line drop links with arbs front and rear. STI front and rear susp or coil overs. front mount and remap for bout 3k. That would get to about 350/400 wouldnt it ? But if you got a STI ot should make that just after remap shouldnt it ?

STI id say.
I think you would be looking a bit more than 3k for this lot, especially once you add on the labour bills.
Old 04 January 2012, 08:46 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBeau
I think you would be looking a bit more than 3k for this lot, especially once you add on the labour bills.

You might be right Im not sure of the cost of engine rebuilds.

If anyone wants to add anything about this please do.

Rich
Old 04 January 2012, 09:23 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Bugs rot more than Blobs if my (admittedly limited) experience is anything to go by:

bbs.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/889885-rotten-sti-subframe-query.html

Have a good look at that if you go down the Bug route. No point in having mega power if it's all about to fall to bits underneath!
Old 06 January 2012, 09:02 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link, u was lucky the seller gave you your money back. It did look as if it had taken a knock that had caused the issue but the rot wasnt good. Ive got a Bug and I dont have any issues like that thank god.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:14 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

The seller was a Subaru main dealer so I don't think he had much choice (I actually owned it for just 5 days!) It's good to know there are also solid ones out there too though.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:32 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Jesus Christ that was from a Subaru main dealer thats shocking !! How on earth did that get past any form of safety check by their tech's !! That really suprises....
Old 06 January 2012, 10:47 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started.... The MoT was as bent as a banana for a kick-off. The poor chap who bought it after me was told that the brakes "would only work properly after they were warmed up because they were racing spec" (nothing to do, then, with them being completely knackered).

Having got in touch with me to find out its history, he had an RAC inspection done a few weeks after he bought it which didn't pick up on the subframe, so I wonder if it had actually been replaced, or merely bodged some more.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't keep it.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Wise words from Edd!

STi evertime I say!
Very true a wrx and sti at the same power and the wrx Will be faster in the real world, it's a fact that the sti boys don't like to admit, especially on our bumpy b roads.

WRX is lighter by around 80 kilo's and the longer gear ratio's mean less time faffing with gears, as well as the firmer suspension of the sti making it a tad skittish on bumpy roads.

Cat firmly placed amongst the pigeons
Old 07 January 2012, 01:18 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£6k at the minute is a cracking amount to have ready to go. My advice? Bug STi Prodrive Style like I just sold, or a Blob STi. You should pick up a car that ticks all the right boxes for that amount. Don't worry too much about modifications just yet. Second hand exhausts can be bought cheap, and there are some great open source mappers out there. Concentrate on the car. That is unless it's a modified monster in the first instance!
Old 07 January 2012, 12:04 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Compariing a WRX against an STI, is like comparing a BMW 330i Sport against an M3.
Old 08 January 2012, 09:56 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zayd
Compariing a WRX against an STI, is like comparing a BMW 330i Sport against an M3.
But, and this is what im asking if you spent £3k on mods for the wrx or 330i. Which would be the better car ?

Only asking to back up my statement that I told my brother. Ive said Bug/blob STI start there and progress from there but he's been told bug/blob wrx and £3k of mods would be better.

Rich
Old 08 January 2012, 10:08 AM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

He could buy mine for £5.5K and have something trackable and very fun on the road...

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...car-great.html

Edited to add URL to build thread, i'm an idiot.

Last edited by SkydiveMacca; 08 January 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08 January 2012, 06:16 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkydiveMacca
He could buy mine for £5.5K and have something trackable and very fun on the road...

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...car-great.html

Edited to add URL to build thread, i'm an idiot.
I must say thats a cracking write up and a right piece of kit but knowing my bros luck that 5 speed would fall to pieces knowing the way he drives lol, Good read though and a cracking car.

All the best

Rich
Old 08 January 2012, 06:44 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Gearbox wont be an issue unless he takes it over 420ish. Solid, and the gearing is better for fast driving than the 6sp.

All it needs is a bigger turbo (then a tweak to the 'map) for the higher power. Internals are all strengthened and ready

Currently as good as stripped out and could come with either the interior back in, or left out, but included.
Old 08 January 2012, 07:07 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Having went through this myself and then thought about it again I bought and then kept a WRX.

A lot of people complain about the short ratios on the STI 6 seed and having driven one I see what they mean.

I all about opinions and everyone has and is entitled to theirs. I am happy with my Hawk WRX, mapped with a few extras, 350 torque keeps me away from most things off the mark, including 2.0 STIs who cannot match the torque without a fair amount of work. I do not want to drive at 120 mph, just drive up to speed limit around the country roads and get up to speed quickly
Old 08 January 2012, 07:32 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
£6k at the minute is a cracking amount to have ready to go. My advice? Bug STi Prodrive Style like I just sold, or a Blob STi. You should pick up a car that ticks all the right boxes for that amount. Don't worry too much about modifications just yet. Second hand exhausts can be bought cheap, and there are some great open source mappers out there. Concentrate on the car. That is unless it's a modified monster in the first instance!

Only prob is modified monsters 9 out of 10 times get broken up on here they very rearly come up for sale
so what is the differance between wrx and sti whats the best