Sponsored by:

de cat/sports cat......

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2012, 10:48 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de cat/sports cat......

Hi all wanting some extra power from my uk300. It's had a custom remap but is standard apert from a panel filter.

It has the PPP fitted and i'm told that this comes with a prodrive sports cat and would like to know if it's the prodrive down pipe or up pipe?

Think it has 3 cats and was wondering which one i could de-cat without failing emmissions.

Would also fit a walbro fuel pump and a 3 port solinoid???

Cheers.
Old 03 January 2012, 10:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone has been feeding you misinformation here.
Your car does not come with a sports cat, only the STI PPP package replaced the standard cat with a sports cat, then your fuel pump... how much power is your car pushing now?
You would need a remap if you went for a 3 port solenoid, not worth doing if your on your standard TD04 turbo, fuel pump... I wouldnt touch a walbro if you paid me, try bosch or look at an RCM upgraded one.
Your next move would be to replace the cat in the up pipe, these are known to fail you will only then have the downpipe cat as the centre section one has been removed and replaced with a resonator box as its been PPP'd.

Tony
Old 03 January 2012, 10:57 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Ah cool.

Car's running 280/280 from the map

So best move for me would be to replace the up pipe to the turbo and fit an uprated fuel pump then get it remapped again?

Would it fail the mot or would the down pipe cat be sufficaint to pass?
Old 03 January 2012, 11:01 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Im not sure how much of a "sport" cat the sti ppp cat actually is. I have a japspeed 100cell fitted to mine now but the old prodrive cat off my RB320 has C7 stamped on it. Does this mean 700cell? if it does then its not that much of a sports cat.
Old 03 January 2012, 11:31 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Am i right in thinking i can decat the up pipe and leave the down pipe and the car will pass an mot?

What sort of torque/bhp can be expected from just the up pipe and fuel pump?
Old 03 January 2012, 11:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by chopperman
Im not sure how much of a "sport" cat the sti ppp cat actually is. I have a japspeed 100cell fitted to mine now but the old prodrive cat off my RB320 has C7 stamped on it. Does this mean 700cell? if it does then its not that much of a sports cat.
Its a "proper" 100 cell sports cat afaik.

Tony
Old 03 January 2012, 11:35 AM
Rez
Scooby Regular

I asked the same question, abliet for my WRX a few months ago and someone kindly put up a diagram of the full exhaust system.. I now have an STI sports CAT (for MOT purposes) a de-resonated milltek centre section and a decat custom up-pipe being fitted this month..
Old 03 January 2012, 11:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by uk300_kev
Am i right in thinking i can decat the up pipe and leave the down pipe and the car will pass an mot?

What sort of torque/bhp can be expected from just the up pipe and fuel pump?
Well realistically your at the top end of what your turbo is capable of, so you can change the lot but you wont see much, if anything, in the way of improvement.
You would need to upgrade the turbo, that in itself will bring you issues, more power, more torque = less reliable clutch and gearbox, your injectors will be maxxed out so those will need replacing, your brakes wont be up to the job etc, it gets expensive from now on, especially on the insurance front.

Tony
Old 03 January 2012, 11:42 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

So you think a turbo up pipe decat and fuel pump won't be benifical?

Don't want to change the turbos ect i'm happy with the car but just want to change the cheaper parts if there is an increase of bhp/torque................
Old 03 January 2012, 01:38 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

a decat uppipe will help increase spool and help the turbo to hold boost at higher revs, but like Tony says it wont increase your bhp as your turbo is already running at its maximum. You may see an extra 1 or 2 bhp but nothing to write home about. Anpother plus point about changing your uppipe to a decat is that you will eliminate the risk of the cat failing and getting sucked into your turbo.

Definitely worth upgrading your fuel pump though. I've not had an issue with my walbro but there are others to choose from as well.

So neither are going to be a big change but will help as part of an overall package.
Old 03 January 2012, 08:53 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help people.

Think i will change the uppipe and look for a sti downpipe and change the fuel pump.

If it helps the turbo spool quicker and holds it's boost better then thats a good thing in my eyes!
Old 04 January 2012, 12:39 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I fitted an sti up pipe and sti ppp downpipe to my old wrx that was to wrx ppp spec and to be honest thought it was a lot of money for little if any gain, if I had another wrx would only consider changing downpipe along with turbo upgrade in order to get a beneficial gain, probably worth doing the up pipe before a remap but won't give you much if at 280 already. But it's entirely up to you what you spend your money on. I would spend it on handling and brake upgrade instead, I fitted sti brembo front brakes and a 22mm rear rollbar to my wrx and found this worthwhile.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:06 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

My uk300 with a classic uppipe (no cat as standard) and prodrive sports cat passed mot. Know fully decated but my mot tester turns blind eye. Uk300s should have middle decat as standard aswell. Got one id sell if yours hasnt mate
Old 04 January 2012, 02:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
My uk300 with a classic uppipe (no cat as standard) and prodrive sports cat passed mot. Know fully decated but my mot tester turns blind eye. Uk300s should have middle decat as standard aswell. Got one id sell if yours hasnt mate
The middle decat isnt standard on a UK300, that was only with the PPP, and if I remember correctly, that was an optional extra you could pay for

Tony
Old 04 January 2012, 03:33 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

May leave the decats then for the time being. How much can you pick STI brembo brakes up for?
Old 04 January 2012, 04:31 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Mines not ppp and had middle decat as standard. I know previous owner and car was how it came out of factory.
Old 05 January 2012, 10:54 PM
swrtno1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300_kev
May leave the decats then for the time being. How much can you pick STI brembo brakes up for?
I'm sure you will need some sort of brackets for fitting the brembos to your car as not sure if they are a straight swap or not sure someone will clear this up for you. Brembos are always on sale on fleebay for £400 upto £500 sometimes more tho.

Keep an eye out in the for sale section on here and post in the wanted section

Hope this helps
Old 05 January 2012, 11:03 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by swrtno1
I'm sure you will need some sort of brackets for fitting the brembos to your car as not sure if they are a straight swap or not sure someone will clear this up for you.
Fronts will fit straight on a newage using the factory mounting points.

Rear calipers will go straight on but you'll need either a sleeve for the disc(hub) or thicker handbrake shoes for a WRX to fit STI Brembos, both are available from godspeed
Old 05 January 2012, 11:26 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys with the brakes
Old 05 January 2012, 11:36 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I also don't think uk300 wheels clear brembos, so either pick up some sti alloys or if you want to keep standard wheels consider a Godspeed big disc kit as I believe this is similar performance to brembo brakes. The rears aren't required unless you want brembos all round to match, on my old wrx I just painted my rear 2 pots gold to match the front brembos I fitted, if you do for rear brembos you need to remove the brake dust shield and fit either larger shoes or sleeved discs as mentioned above.
Old 06 January 2012, 05:39 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rez
I asked the same question, abliet for my WRX a few months ago and someone kindly put up a diagram of the full exhaust system.. I now have an STI sports CAT (for MOT purposes) a de-resonated milltek centre section and a decat custom up-pipe being fitted this month..
That was me

I think it's been cleared up already but a picture is always easier to understand:

Pipe no's 1, 2 & 3 are where your cats are placed. Although I think cat No1 may have been replaced as part of the ppp.
Old 06 January 2012, 06:36 PM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the diagram bud.

Gives a much clearer picture