Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just bought my first scooby - 2003 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 10:36 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Location: Waltham, a nice village that's just a little too close to Grimsby!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first scooby - 2003 WRX

Well, it's taken long enough, but i've finally done it.... A 2003 model WRX.

I find the car very nice to drive, but the turbo lags so much, and does not seem to kick in until about 2500rpm ish. This makes 30/40mph tootling around town in 4th/5th gear, a bit of a pest as acceleration is initially quite slow.

I've previously owned an E36 M3 Evo, so i've come to expect a certain amount of low end grunt.

I know very little about these, if i'm honest, but from what i've read so far on here, these respond well to an exhaust upgrade (de cat/sport cat?) and a remap.

I don't want massive BHP, but wish to improve the overall drivability, perking up the low end response, and a cheeky increase in the mid-high rpms.

I have read a lot about front mounted intercoolers. Are these the best way to go for what i need?

Would the car benefit from some sort of dump/blow off valve to help reduce lag?

Be gentle with me guy's, it's my first post on here in a very long time!

Regards,

Gary.

Last edited by Natural Born Chiller; 14 August 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: tyops
Old 14 August 2007, 11:00 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

hi Gary welcome to scooby ownership. Easist options parts wise are sti Intercooler, de cat exhaust and remap. Wouldn't advise front mounts unless your considering turbo swaps. It is helpful to know what power figure you want but 300 Bhp is quite achieveable without the need for induction kit.
Old 14 August 2007, 11:11 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-k
It is helpful to know what power figure you want but 300 Bhp is quite achieveable without the need for induction kit.
I'm not specifically after big bhp gains, although it would be nice! It's the response, and drivability that are important to me. Faster pick up, with smooth progressive power delivery.

What is the power/torque of the standard WRX? I'd love to see a dyno chart of a standard car, compared to a modifed one of simalar spec to what i'm after.
Old 14 August 2007, 11:20 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Gary tootling around town in 4th/5th gear @ 30/40mph will have you way outside the power band. So no wonder it doesn't respond. It is geared so it could do 38mph in 1st & 67mph in 2nd @ max revs.

Max torque on a standard MY03 WRX such as yours is @ 4,000rpm. Like you say it starts to come in @ 2500ish so you need to keep the right revs for whichever gear you are in if you want it to pick up straight away.

I had the Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) fitted to mine before I did the exhaust & had the remap.

Before with PPP

After

Overlay

290bhp up from 252bhp

275lbft up from 263lbft

Boost 1.3bar up from 1.2bar.

I am a happy bunny

Mark
Old 14 August 2007, 11:50 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Natural Born Chiller
What is the power/torque of the standard WRX?
Standard

225bhp @ 6000rpm

220lb/ft @ 4000rpm

My PPP figures

252.2bhp @ 5348rpm

263.4lb/ft @ 3886rpm

My remap figures

290bhp @ 6018rpm

275.2lb/ft @ 4103rpm

I have since fitted an STi intercooler & light weight engine pulleys so there is a bit more to be had yet.

Mark
Old 15 August 2007, 03:37 AM
midnite_impreza8
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary u hav to stick with lower gears on turbo cars when driving around town not like ya M3 which will respond even in the higher gears .....For more power n torque go 4 a sti intercooler,downpipe,cold air induction kit then remapp should get u 270+bhp but no more than 290 (similar torque figures 2)....Enjoy your new car
Old 15 August 2007, 07:23 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by midnite_impreza8
Hi Gary u hav to stick with lower gears on turbo cars when driving around town
Yes, very true. I own an MY03 WRX also and you have to get used to the gearing, put your foot to the floor at 30mph in 4th gear and NOWT happens

Probably explains why the fuel consumption is as bad as it is, when you think about it...
Old 15 August 2007, 09:29 AM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

I had to drive my WRX300 for the run in period (1000 miles) without the PPP fitted and found tootling around town hard work. Once fitted though the increase in torque in low gears/low speeds was noticible and made the car much more enjoyable to drive. The exhaust sound is also a vast improvement over the standard twin-pipe jobby, nice roar on accelerating but not loud and intrusive once cruising.

I'd say the PPP or something similair is a must and will give you what you want - more driveability with a modest increase in BHP. Fuel consumption improved a bit for me too if I drive like I'm driving Miss. Daisy
Old 15 August 2007, 10:25 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary,

I know what you mean about feeling it has no responce from the normal rev range you would drive round in, PPP definatly helps (ive had a 03 WRX too )
But i came from a GX non turbo which had a little more low down but ran out of puff at 5k.

if im in traffic (ive a sti ppp now) and know i need to be responsive, i'll stick mine 3rd for 30 and 4th for 40 as its just on the egde of some turbo boost.

Incidently if im just tootling on my own at 30 ish i do put in in 5th and can control it nicely even tho im below 2000 rpm, so its all about getting to know the way the car works. However pulling away will allays be at snails pace or warp speed, im yet to find the middle ground

Simon
Old 15 August 2007, 11:38 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

and does not seem to kick in until about 2500rpm ish.
Good job you didn't get an STi then (3,500-4,000)

The PPP or similar mods do wanders for the WRX, with only improvements everywhere, no compromises. If you like low down pull, that would be the limits of your mods.
Old 15 August 2007, 12:49 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

If you like lowdown pull I can recommend the Andy F Hybrid TD04.

.........but that's probably more money than you need to spend given what you're after.

Best to keep your std turbo, but fit a sportscat downpipe from API/Scoobyworld, decat uppipe, decat centre pipe, Walbro fuel pump and remap. 280/280ish, typically.

Hope TH,

andy Mc
Old 15 August 2007, 04:27 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your reply's, chaps. Very helpful.

I have found out today that an exhaust manufacturer (Long established, and based in macclesfield) i have an account with, makes stainless exhausts for scooby's. So that's an exhaust sorted for cost price then!

Can the engine ecu actually be remapped, or is it a case of some sort of piggy back tuning system? Will prodrive just supply a remap, if i can source an STi intercooler, exhaust, etc.?

Regarding the cold air intake mentioned above, I've seen some pics of impreza's with cone air filters, located half way up the engine bay? Surely this must kill power with the under bonnet temps??? I'd have thought either a standard filter, or 'performance' replacement panel would be a better option? (I also have an account with ITG! lol)

Last thing; I'd love an STi boot spoiler, to help improve the looks. Are these readily available, and from where?

Regards,

Gary.
Old 15 August 2007, 06:13 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Hello & welcome aboard, prodrive don't sell the performance pack parts seperatly it comes as a full package only, so its all or nothing I'm afraid you could source used parts and do it that way.
Old 15 August 2007, 09:14 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Regarding the cold air intake mentioned above, I've seen some pics of impreza's with cone air filters, located half way up the engine bay? Surely this must kill power with the under bonnet temps???I'd have thought either a standard filter, or 'performance' replacement panel would be a better option? (I also have an account with ITG! lol)

Regards,

Gary.
STi ~ Green cotton ~ ITG panel filters are all used by people on here.

Check out the comment in post 15 by Mike Wood (Prodrive guru)

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...el-filter.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...tg-filter.html

You should have a good read of this as well. As it covers several combinations of mods & the results are unbiased.

https://www.scoobynet.com/newage-imp...-part-1-a.html

Mark
Old 15 August 2007, 10:33 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You have 3 cats you could remove. Uppipe, downpipe and centre section. Downpipe will release the most power replacing with a sportscat or decat but its worth doing the whole lot with a decent backbox which will also sound great.
Ecutek remap will be around £650 with reputable mapper which should see you at least 280bhp and around 260-270lbs torque. You could do this with standard fuel pump, turbo,intercooler and injectors. Cotton panel filter would be good to add.
You will then definitely realise how poor your brakes are!
Old 15 August 2007, 10:40 PM
Donkster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your reply's, chaps. Very helpful.

Last thing; I'd love an STi boot spoiler, to help improve the looks. Are these readily available, and from where?

Regards,

Gary.
Take a look at drmotorsport - they seem to do them reasonably priced. I'm on the verge of ordering one myself.
Old 16 August 2007, 08:53 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I also have an 03 WRX.

As your car will probably be out of warranty by now, I suggest that the PPP would be extremely bad value for money (1600 quid odd for 265 bhp). If my goals were low end power on a budget, I'd get a decat up-pipe, decat centre section and a remap.

The remap will set you back about 650 for an ecutek remap, and the up-pipe and decat centre probably 50-60 quid each if you settle for second hand (or maybe 100 quid each if buying new). They're not *too* painful to fit yourself if you're slightly mechanically minded - I managed to do it and I'm totally challenged when it comes to car mechanics. Even if you pay someone to do it, it shouldn't cost more than a maximum of 150 to fit (I would have thought anyway).

Do *not* go for a front mount intercooler at that power level. Your standard intercooler will be fine and the FMIC's are pain in the backside to fit (lots of cutting of bumpers, metal etc etc (unless you spend 1000+ GBP). They *will* increase lag and possibly cause problems such as juddering at low speed (with light throttle) etc etc, so not really worth it for that kind of power.

If you want more top-end but keep the low end spool, I suggest getting a TD04 hybrid from andy forrest (http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk). They're about 450'ish on an exchange basis from memory, so not *too* bad and will probably see you above 300bhp, but with great low down spool.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:12 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to say it, but if you were after low down grunt and pickup from as little 1500 revs, then ANY turbo charged car is not for you.

It takes time for a turbo charger to reach boost at which time you get a kick in the back and the power and torque increase at V8 speeds. However, to get instant results, you need to change down a gear and up again once you have positive boost.

Coming from a M3, this will be hard to get used to.
Old 16 August 2007, 12:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Can the engine ecu actually be remapped, or is it a case of some sort of piggy back tuning system?

Gary.
Yes, the mapper remaps the existing ECU using a laptop and Ecutek software.
Old 16 August 2007, 12:49 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Last thing; I'd love an STi boot spoiler, to help improve the looks.

Gary.
Are you sure that would improve the looks Gary ?