Sponsored by:

what to look out for on wrx 05

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2011, 11:37 PM
bang bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look out for on wrx 05

1st off hi all im dave new to scoobys and am wondering what i should look out for on a wrx 05 prodrive as im new to scoobys but as allways bein my goal to buy one since i build one (remote control car lol) and now i can so what should i look out for as iv hear some right horror storys (bottom ends ect) so any help would would be great so thanx agen......just to add i come from a diesel so be nice to me
Old 25 November 2011, 11:40 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Check fo any funny noises on start up. check if there is any rust especially on the rear arches. If its a prodrive it should have a certificate to say so. When you ask the owner to take you for a test drive see if he lets it warm up before using boost. Don't forget the usual stuff like service history etc.

Oh and welcome mate. You might wanna post the link of the car you are thinking of buying.
Old 25 November 2011, 11:55 PM
bang bang
Scooby Regular

thanx mate the bloke sed he wont start it up till i get there he sounded very good with it and yer it has a ppp cert with it has some history and what not.....no link as private car sorry and so look for funny nosies and rust on back arches...is that inside or outside?? but is that all i should look out for?? sorry to sound dum but iv come from a diesel and there haed as nails lol but thanx agen mate and fast reply or what top man
Old 26 November 2011, 11:02 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Bare with me as I'm using my phone 2 post this. It's the inner arch from the outside. Use your fingers to feel around it. Any rust and you start to look at a £400 bill.

Get the guy to drive the car and on a duel carriage way get him to take his foot of the accelerator, get him to do it again but this time press the clutch. If the car judderes and feels like it is slowing down too much then WALK AWAY. Check gear box etc. also get him to break firmly but no so much that the ABS kicks in. If it judders or wobbles then you are looking at new discs.

Check all fluids before and after the test just to make sure they aren't leaking etc.

And don't forget to check all the paperwork. I spent more time looking at the paperwork then I did at the car. Hope that gives you an idea.

Any ways I'm at the Scooby meet now lol.
Old 26 November 2011, 12:03 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Knocking from the rear suspension/shock absorbers, if he hasnt had them changed you will be
Old 27 November 2011, 07:28 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've had my late 2005 WRX PPP for 6 years. Its been mildly modified. Rear shocks are the main weak point. There's adistinctive knock, as though something metal is rolling around in the boot.
No other weak points, if the car has been well looked after. The 2 litre engine is very robust, you can safely run it at 330bhp.
Look forr evidence of regular oil changes, preferably with a quality oil. Ideally every 5k miles or 6 months
You will need to run a PPP car on 97 RON Super unleaded petrol as a minimum.
Old 27 November 2011, 07:55 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby B
Knocking from the rear suspension/shock absorbers, if he hasnt had them changed you will be
Absolutely +1.. mine went on my 54 WRX very quickly.. Also piston slap from cold start and service history.. gotta have lots
Old 08 December 2011, 08:15 PM
bang bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rez
Absolutely +1.. mine went on my 54 WRX very quickly.. Also piston slap from cold start and service history.. gotta have lots
piston slap?? lost me lol
Old 08 December 2011, 08:19 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

something to look out for in an 05 wrx is sti,s coming past you lol omly joking m8 nice cars
Old 14 December 2011, 08:52 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

The wrx with ppp is a good car, in fact in some ways better than an sti for daily drive so if you find a good one you should enjoy it, I would look at bodywork and interior condition, then usual mechanical tests for odd noises and leaks, also check history to ensure serviced regular, although a good bunch of receipts and self service wouldn't put me off as long as everything changed when it should be. Then on the test drive ensure it drives smooth with no knocks and unusual engine noise. Make sure you hpi it especially if buying private and if you don't know what you are doing then pay for an inspection. I had a my03 wrx with a self installed ppp pack for 3 years before I went sti and I loved it, and most my passengers preferred it to my current jdm sti. Check all discs and pads for wear as can be a common thing to maybe get the price down a little. Also be 100% certain it's had it's Cambelt done at 50k or 5 years as you don't want the bill for this as your first expense. Although I think the 60k service is just as expensive as it changes all fluids.